Chin ups....

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Cpt_Subtext, Jan 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys im currently training so I can get in the infantry and doing chin ups is where I fall down... basically im 23yrs old 6ft8 and about 17 stone, im not weak but seem to lack the strength for this. Im observing a diet and train 3 times a week on my upper body and abs etc and every Tuesday and Thursday I either run or do a 2hr hike with 20kgs on my back...... What particular exercise could I do to help me with chin ups specifically?

2. errr... chin ups?

how many can you do now?

Just keep doing chinups before breakfast, lunch and dinner. After you can do no more, get someone to hold on to your hips (not legs in case you lose your grip!) and help you.

That worked for me.

3. That might be your problem mate - at 6' 8" I reckon that 17 stone would be about right so why diet?

If you're not getting in the right amount of (or proper) foodstuffs your energy levels will be sh1te and you will train like a girl.

If your diet is healthy then it may be that it's early days and you are just a fanny. Keep practicing mate and get on the multi-gym on the pull-down bars.

4. Lol, I can see what you've done there! :wink:

Can you get to a gym? Try doing the same type of exercise but on a machine and aim for less weight but more repetitions. Alternate this with your normal chin ups and you should notice a difference.

Also, I've always found if you lay off choking the bishop for a day or two, it helps :D

5. Lmao cheeky buggers.... E-Layer I was told by the AFCO to get down to about 15 and a half stone before they'd take me which is why im dieting... well eating healthy

As for doing the chin ups im managing 1, 2 max if I lay off beating my meat lol j/k

thanks for the advice though....

6. Mate iv just been to the ADSC today and yesterday and the lads who wanted to join the Infantry done about 3-5 chinups so you should have no probs, but do try to get them up into the 6-10 range.

DH

7. I only managed 7 chin ups for my selection for the Infantry to be honest but on my last chin up I wouldn't give up so I think aslong as you can do a few and show that your really determined you might get through.
    I'd hate to be lifting 17stone thought christ almighty 12stone was enough for me.

8. Thanks guys, Birdy 17stone is a royal pain to lift.... Basically I figure hammer the upper body and get stronger too... also gonna invest in a new bar... hell even if I just hang from it and try to pull up ive gotta be doing something to the muscle..... ahwell will soon see!

9. Cpt_Subtext,

It's not just a question of basic strength, which I'm sure is already above average in your case. At six-eight, you've got the problem of extremely long levers to overcome. It's a mechanical problem more than anything else.

To illustrate the point; I recently saw a little eight-year-old girl shift 450 kilos with ease (she did EIGHT reps) on the sliding-chair leg-machine, while all the rufty-tufties were huffing and puffing. Short levers, see.

Try "slow-drops" to quickly build up strength in your biceps, for those are the muscles mainly concerned in pull-ups.

Use a chair, stool (at six-eight, just standing on tiptoe will probably do it) to get your chin above the bar. Grasp the bar in the "completed pull-up" stance and hang there for about ten seconds, pulling your chest against the bar as firmly as you can. Then let yourself down slowly and in a very controlled way, until your arms are fully stretched. The "drop" should take between seven and ten seconds. Try to do two sets of three drops with a minute break between sets. You can add sets, or increase the reps in the sets as required. You'll notice a difference in a very short time.

MsG

10. Hey lads,

Would someone mind describing the teqhnique required for chin-ups in the army?

Hands facing you, or facing away? Thumbs closing the grip, or open?

Cheers :D

11. Army its always been palms in, arms shoulder width apart. The Marines do the palms out variety. Having now left the army I stick to the palms out type and find that when I do the other kind they are very easy now. Be careful if you get one of those doorway bars, 17 stone will easily dislodge it if it isnt fitted correctly.

12. crashdummy, biceps have two connecting tendons to the elbow (hence the "bi" prefix). When you do pull-ups with your palms towards you, both parts of the muscle pull together and make the task easier. You can easily check this by bending your elbow to 90 degrees with your palm up. Now grip the tendons at the base of your bicep near your elbow between thumb and forefinger and turn your hand over so that it's palm downwards. You'll feel the two tendons move apart. That's what makes palm-out pull-ups so much more difficult. However, such pull-ups tend to thicken the bicep nearer to the elbow, so that it doesn't look as bunched up when flexed.

Hope this helps

MsG

13. I've been training so far with my palms facing out, in your opinion should I swap around?

Thanks Mag and Bugsy 8)

14. Thanks for the advice guys... especially bugsy will try it tonight... :)

15. What I do is both exercises on a 1:2 basis, i.e. one palm-out pull-up for every two palm-in pull-ups. On a daily basis (for me), this works out at 20 palm-in pull-ups, pause, 10 palm-out pull-ups, pause, 20 palm-in pull-ups, pause, 10 palm-out pull-ups, total collapse. :D

But now you know the basics and why, you may want to develop your own little programme.

MsG