"Chimps, Too, Wage War and Annex Rival Territory"

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by kj1000, Jun 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I hope this is the right forum, or at the very least the most relevant for this news.

"Chimps, Too, Wage War and Annex Rival Territory"

Apparently, it is now confirmed that chimps have long-term military goals and territorial expansion according to the New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/science/22chimp.html?ref=science

"The objective of the 10-year campaign was clearly to capture territory, the researchers concluded. The Ngogo males could control more fruit trees, their females would have more to eat and so would reproduce faster, and the group would grow larger, stronger and more likely to survive. The chimps’ waging of war is thus “adaptive,” Dr. Mitani and his colleagues concluded, meaning that natural selection has wired the behavior into the chimps’ neural circuitry because it promotes their survival."

Perhaps, if the ngogo are secretely reading the ARRSE and putting some of the best posts into practice.
  2. Maybe this is where 'GW' got the idea from. He had his own private chimpanzee named Tony to encourage him on.
  3. Aggressive males plus overeating females who reproduce at a rapid rate? Are you sure they weren't studying Scousers?
  4. Not just Scousers, judging from the current state of affairs that describes only half the population

of Europe and USA.
  5. Someone told me a while ago that wars are about resources. Resources mean power and control. Since the ultimate resource is sex, and you need women for sex -well, rodents will do in an emergency, but most people prefer women-; women control the ultimate resource.
    That means all wars are in the end about women. The good Dr Mitane kicked in an open door.

That's what I like about the soft sciences: They spend millions of tax money to prove something everybody allready knows.
  6. I think it was rather the other way round. I offer in evidence Mr Steve Bell of Grauniad infmay: In 2003, he was listed in The Observer as one of the 50 funniest acts in British comedy. When he received the UK Press Gazette award in 2004 for Best Cartoonist, in his speech he thanked "George Bush - for looking like a monkey, walking like a monkey and talking like a monkey".

7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Not an unsurprising conclusion by the primatologists, similar observations and conclusions could be derived from the study of any predatory species. What I do enjoy from all these studies is that they break down the suppossed barrier between human and animal, that we are somehow uniquely distinct from our fellow occupants of these planet - a view held by the dichomatic Religious Fundamentalists on the one hand ("insert god here" created us in his/her/its image giving us rightful mastery over other species), and fluffy New Age/Hippie thinking (animals are beautiful they don't murder/kill needlessly its only humans that do that) on the other.

On that note have a video about Vervet Monkeys on St. Kitts with a drinking problem, with almost exactley parrallel patterns of alcohol abuse in humans.

Recognise anyone?
  8. Your Avatar?

Very interesting vid though.