Chilli Sauces, How Hot?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Chef, Sep 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just invested in a bottle of 'Dave's Gourmet, GHOST PEPPER' sauce, it has a health warningfor people with heart/respiratory problems and states it should not be taken without food as neat it will bur and could cause harm.

I usually use Encona and Tabasco as well as 'Who Burns Wins' which is quite nice.

My question is; Is Ghost Pepper really that 'dangerous' or is it mostly advertising hype, has anyone tried it yet?
  2. Having not tried that particular sauce but sampled Blairs "Death Rain" youre generally best listening to the warnings on stuff like that.

Naga Jolokia pepper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Should tell you all you need to know.

3. It's mental, heed the warning. Encona and Tabasco don't come close. put a little on your fingertip and taste, have a pint of milk on standby.
  4. Thanks for that,the WiKi article was very informative, so the warning is a genuine desire to keep customers fit enough to buy a second bottle.
    Having spent time dahhn the east end learning to (eventually) scoff bird's eye chillis in the local Asian greasy spoon, with a mug of tea I have always treated chillis in any form with caution the first time. Hence the question.
  5. "Uses

The pepper is used in India in homeopathic preparations for stomach ailments. It is also used as a spice as well as a remedy to summer heat, presumably by inducing perspiration in the consumer.[6] In northeastern India, the peppers are smeared on fences or incorporated in smoke bombs as a safety precaution to keep wild elephants at a distance.

As a weapon

In 2009, scientists at India's Defence Research and Development Organisation announced plans to use the chillies in hand grenades, as a non lethal way to flush out terrorists from their hideouts and to control rioters."

How cool is that!?
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I have a bottle of Blair's Mega Death which is 800,000 heat units on the Scoville scale (that is to say 160 times hotter than a jalapeño) and has to be treated with a fair amount of respect.

The Bhut Jolokia also know as the Ghost Chilli which Ghost Peeper Sauce is amde from is 855,000 - 1,041,427 heat units (about 208 times the jalapeño) but the sauce is cut with other stuff so maybe it isn't as hot as the raw material although some sources say it contains pure capsicum (2,000,000 to 5,000,000 heat units) so it may be really hot.

I can't find any info on the exact rating for the Ghost Sauce but Dave put the warnings on his original Insanity Sauce which was not that hot by modern standards.

Always fun to put on the mess table and watch as some greedy b'stard smothers their food in it without so much as a by your leave.
  7. I don't know how it compares, but there is a sauce called Dragon's Blood, which is violently hot. And very entertaining when someone tries to scoff it down because they can handle their hot sauce. It's something in excess of 1m Scoville units.

Going by the ingredients list, I can only imagine that the Ghost Pepper sauce would be similar. Use sparingly and mix well (though you might want to test on a separate plate first). If you compare ordinary tabasco to the habanero tabasco, then this sort of stuff is about 10 times above that.
  8. I can, not exactly comfortably, but without crying, having palpitations or collapsing eat a naga/bhut/a.n other "superhot" raw.

Some of the current crop of sauces are insidious, not because they're actually violently "hot" but because they have added aromatic ingredients which open up the tubes and make the "hit" of the capsaicin in the sauce that much more effective.
  9. i have a bottle of it at home, and yes it's fricking ridiculously hot be very careful with it
  10. I've just ordered some "Dragon's blood" (Special edition) from here: Extreme Sauces Sauces : Dragons Blood Batch 13 Special Edition - 100ml

I'll post a damass once I've tried it!
  11. Rankings list here.
  12. I opened the bottle and tried it, and very nice it is too, at least as hot as 'Who Dares Burns' but more flavoursome. Also more like tom sauce in consistancy. It will last me a long time, but I will be buying more. Again, thanks for the info.
  13. Daves Gourmet Insanity Sauce. Not to be taken lightly! Good in small amounts when mixed in a chili/bolognese, not for dipping chips etc in!!