Chilli oil

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by terroratthepicnic, Jun 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

My chilli plants are producing a lot of fruit at the moment and I dont want to waste any. So I am thinking of making some chilli oil that I can keep topping up and using as needed.

Does any of you have a decent way of making it, that doesn't involve ruining it by boiling the chillis in vinegar first?

2. Alternatively pack them in sterile jars and top up with vodka! Keeps for ages AND the vodka makes a lush Bloody mary!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yum.... an excellent idea

4. I have GOT to try that - plenty of chillies here.

5. Don't boil the chillis - grill them, then plastic bag for 30-45mins. Peel and pop in a jar with olive oil. You can't really top them up by the way, you just dilute the chilli-ness (if there is such a word for the concept.).

I've just done some sweet peppers this very morning. The real struggle was getting the lid on the jar without chowing down. Oh and keep the chillis covered with oil and keep the jar in the fridge. The chillis start to fester otherwise.

6. Top stuff

Does the heat of the vodka change with using hotter chillis or does the alcohol calm it down??

Got some Naga chillis which are a tad sporty

7. The alcohol doesn't appear to cool things down at all! I did it with Jack Daniels once (had drunk all the voddie...it was an emergency) and a friend had a small sip to try it! He ended up foaming at the mouth, crawling on all fours eating grass! That was a good party! I have a photo somewhere of him with a sardine poking out of his hoop!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

4 chilli peppers, cleaned and finely chopped
    juice of one Lemon
    3 cloves of garlic, minced
    one tablespoon of chopped fresh parsley, (optional)
    one tablespoon Paprika
    4 tablespoons of Olive Oil
    1 teaspoon Salt

Remove stems and seeds from peppers - take the necessary precautions when handling hot peppers.
    Grind and mix all ingredients to a fine paste by hand or use a blender or food processor. If you want to go hotter add ground cayenne pepper of pepper flakes to taste. Cook in a hot frying-pan for a few minutes.
    Store in a sterilized jar in the refrigerator. The flavour will develope over the following week.

9. Right then thats some dwinkies sorted for the chopsy lot that hang round the missus :excited:

• Like Like x 1
  10. You can make a lovely chilli oil using the cold infusion method, no need to heat them or grill them.
    Put your chillies and oil in a blender and blend until the chillies are minced, don’t blend for too long or you will end up with an oily soup. Put the contents in a plastic bowl, cover it with cling film and leave in the fridge for 4 weeks. Strain the oil into sterilized bottles or jars using a very fine sieve, cap them and there you go.

They keep a long time once capped, and you can use any oil you wish, veg oil for cheap and cheerfull, extra virgin for a salad dressing with a bloody big Zing. - PS if you run out of fresh chilles, dried ones work also - NOT chilli powder

11. HERE: Plus a Chile Oil Potato recipe. >>>>>>>> urbanChiles.com - HOW TO MAKE CHILE OILS <<<<<<<<<

12. Ah the hoobie schnapps (from hubschrauber - helicopter). The undoing of many an FNG.
    The chilies keep just as well in the bottle ;)

13. I use the hot infusion method, it kills off any bugs which can lead to mould growing on the fruit in the bottle.
    Sterilise your bottle by boiling it for 10 minutes. Dry it out in a low oven so no water remains inside.

Slice your chillies up thinly, pour a bottle of olive oil into a pan, and tip the chillies in. Heat up the oil to the point where the chillies bubble and then just maintain a low heat for ten minutes. Let the whole thing cool down and bottle it up. I usually strain it but you can leave the chillies in if you like.

14. You can also infuse Orange Juice by steeping a cut chilli in it for a few days (keep it in the fridge, obviously).

Add to champagne for a Cajun Mimosa. (It may sound strange but trust me - it works).

15. Aye but it's a sod to try and fish them out when you want to actually COOK with them!! :nod: