Chill Out!

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
OK; daft title, but it fits with the thread.

A few times this week I have read items in various publications (BBC Focus Magazine for one) regarding Cryogenically freezing your body or head as soon as you die, in the hope that at some point in the future you can be defrosted and revived and cured of whatever killed you. I know this was big news back in the late '80s and '90s, but it seems to be cropping up again.

The questions then are:

Would you want you body or head(!) frozen if you died?
When (in what era) would you like to be revived - obviously assuming that what killed you can be cured.

(Apologies for the lack of links, but I'm at work on duty and DII is being particularly pump today)

Is that when dinner will be ready?

Not sure that I would like any era. Maybe I'd change my mind if the time came, but I can't imagine deliberately setting myself up to be severed from everyone I'd ever known just out of curiosity about the future.

Bugger that! I'm more interesting in moving on and exploring what comes afterwards - many scientists are now saying that there must be something after death, soooooo, when the time comes I'll be haunting a pussy bar somewhere. Hopefully.

For it to work, surely you must be frozen prior to death......because once you are dead, thats it....no coming back.

Anyway, if it were possible, I would like to be revived when space travel is as common as popping down the shops for a pint of milk.

For it to work, surely you must be frozen prior to death......because once you are dead, thats it....no coming back.

Anyway, if it were possible, I would like to be revived when space travel is as common as popping down the shops for a pint of milk.
I read a book on this some time ago, as soon as you flat they keep the body ticking over with life support until they can kick in the cryogenics.

Why do these theorists assume that the future would actually want to cure you. I imagine the world will be more than riddled with it's own problems to worry about unfreezing someone from the past.

D

Dreamseller

Why do these theorists assume that the future would actually want to cure you. I imagine the world will be more than riddled with it's own problems to worry about unfreezing someone from the past.
Past humans do a great many things for scientific and archaelogical discovery. Ötzi the ice mummy is an example of that. I always wonder why anybody would want to wake up into world where everything you knew, or understood was out of date and now wrong. A lot of people have problems keeping up
with technology now.

Simple, you pay to have your body frozen and defrosted at a certain time in the future, its not cheap.

Also if money was not involved here, then the future would probably want to defrost you out of intrigue and curiosity, the same as we would probably attempt to do the same if we found something frozen from the Jurassic period, oh wait a minute!

This is never going to work, leaving aside the technical problems given high rates of healthcare inflation you'd need to put a huge sum aside that was productively invested to finance your resurrection.

This is never going to work, leaving aside the technical problems given high rates of healthcare inflation you'd need to put a huge sum aside that was productively invested to finance your resurrection.
I'm sure Alan Sugar, Branson et al would not have a problem with this.

I imagine the world will be more than riddled with it's own problems to worry about unfreezing someone from the past.
Can't taste any worse than Solyent Green.

Given that cryogenic technology is primitive in the extreme I would be loath to invest any hope at all. If the basic premise is that you are frozen using current technology and revived when the technology becomes viable then there would have to be some kind of infrastructure in place to ensure that your frozen corpse/head remains frozen and fairly intact until such time. This would have to be paid for, presumably by you and would be fairly expensive at the outset.

Looking at the examples of today, is there any confidence that even some large corporation will either survive for long enough or more likely still have the corporate direction to carry out your revival? I suggest that, even if such a corporation survived, however much you invested in your 'corpsicle' it probably wouldn't be enough to justify the expense of your revival should such a time come so you'd have to be a significant historical figure I think for it to have even the potential for a successful outcome.*

And of course it might just be inconvenient to a future ruling hegemony to have somebody who remembers the real past turning up to spoil their carefully crafted revisionist history ...

Though it may well come to pass that some kind of biological stasis needs to be developed should mankind ever get off its collective arse and start space exploration (whether or not there is a way round Einstein) it is unlikely it will be able to thaw out 21st Century bodies and successfully revive them given the damage to cells that the freezing process causes. And of course you have to take into account an ability to resurrect the mental state of the deceased.. If your 'soul' truly departs then what revives won't be you, if as many postulate (see Francis Crick, The Astonishing Hypothesis (1993) for an example) that your consciousness is merely a product of the electo-chemical processes in your brain, it might be possible to restore you from the last state before cessation of activity but I suspect that any decay or damage might result in a completely changed individual. Of course those that believe in a 'soul' might wish to ponder what might happen to it if (as postulated upthread) the body isn't actually allowed to die, the 'soul' cannot leave the body but hangs around for an indeterminate number of years suffering indescribable torment.

Of course what is more likely to happen is that somebody will find a fragment of your dna, grow a clone from it and fit a rough analogy of your personality from any records available (and in this age of social media and universal information I suspect that it wouldn't be too hard becoming easier as time passes) though if that were to be the case I want to state quite publicly that I am a well liked, respected war hero and general good egg, captain of industry and consummate lover whose small penis and large belly would obviously be due to a fault in the dna replication process ... did I mention fierce litigator?? ... anyway

To get back to the original premise of this thread, I would like to be reconstituted in about 1000000 years, long enough to be able to see the Vorlon home world .. :)

*Of course I am making the assumption that society will carry on in the same vein which is not assured. It's entirely possible that after the coming energy wars and subsequent realignments of global power, the survivors might form a beneficient world order, but tbh given humanity's penchant for ignoring/rewriting history, I wouldn't bet my head on it ...

While I was writing this I notice others have posted similar stuff, apologies..