Chilean AEW

Well this probably isn't going to go down that well in Buenos Aries...

1642621829619.png

Chile already has one IAI 707 Phalcon* AWACS so this is a bit of an odd purchase. Getting servicing and parts for the Sentry systems will be pricey.

Unless they're planning to send them as airframes to IAI and have them re-equipped...

* You want to see it? Ok...

4122bfa0d3738a48b853ae66ae753e49.jpg

Wasn't there some Chilean support in the Falklands tiff WRT that kind of thing.

No, no nothing to see there, not at all, just [file retained by department under section 3.4] and a little bit of [Closed Or Retained Document, Open Description; Exemption: International Relations - Prejudice] along with some Nimrod R1 sorties out of San Felix, but apart from that...

Yokel

LE
Given this forum is about Operation Corporate, I thought this thread was going to be about the use of assets placed in Chile to monitor Argentine jets taking off from mainland airbases during the Falklands Conflict, Perhaps an improvised effort with the Nimrods and their Searchwater radar?

Chile already has one IAI 707 Phalcon* AWACS so this is a bit of an odd purchase. Getting servicing and parts for the Sentry systems will be pricey.

Unless they're planning to send them as airframes to IAI and have them re-equipped...

* You want to see it? Ok...

4122bfa0d3738a48b853ae66ae753e49.jpg

It's saying "kill me now, I don't want to be a monster" in plane

Given this forum is about Operation Corporate, I thought this thread was going to be about the use of assets placed in Chile to monitor Argentine jets taking off from mainland airbases during the Falklands Conflict, Perhaps an improvised effort with the Nimrods and their Searchwater radar?

That was Op FINGENT, with ground-based radar.

Yokel

LE
That was Op FINGENT, with ground-based radar.

I know - I thought that you were being ironic with the thread title, and discussing expedients used to try to provide early warning for the task group. There were also submarines patrolling off the coast of mainland Argentina.

It was @Magic_Mushroom who suggested that if the task group had an asset such as the SKW then none of our ships would have been lost.

Maybe they will remove the existing radar and stick a ELW-2090 in?
That might be easier than trying to upgrade the existing radar?

Although given how several air forces are going for smaller AEW platforms these days, perhaps the P600 AEW might be a more cost effective solution long term?

Latest Threads