Childs passport

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by watertight, Jun 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Advice anyone please! I am a single father with residence and parental responsibility for my son. Just applied for his passport and been knocked back as "For children born before 1 July 2006, whose parents are unmarried, citizenship can only be claimed through the mother". I have been told I need to provide her birth certificate. Problem is she done a runner 9 years ago, I have no idea where she is and she hasn't been in touch since. Somebody suggested the General Register Office to get her birth certificate but the form asks for her fathers/mothers name, date and place of birth, any maiden names, all of which I don't have.

    Anyone got any ideas on what to do next or shall I just book a caravan in Wales?
  2. Not necessarily - unmarried fathers could and can pass on their nationality if they have parental responsibility for the child, which you clearly do. Furthermore, the 1981 Nationality Act makes clear provision for the conferment of British nationality upon a child if it is their best interests (the converse is deprivation under similar grounds). Finally, British Citizenship cannot be witheld from an individual if to do otherwise would leave them stateless. This is how 'Captain Hook' has avoided deprivation because the Egyptians beat us to it and equally how Anna Chapman fell foul of the law because she had not renounced her Russian citizenship. Personally, I would make MPs reps in the first instance and crack on from their. The bottom line is this - the Home Office cannot deprive your son of British Citizenship if to do otherwise would leave him stateless. A half-decent solicitor could easily go JR on this and embarrass the hell out of the Department.
  3. As a starting point, get it from the horse's mouth.
    IPS Passport Advice Line 0300 222 0000. Ring them and actually speak to someone who can give you up to date advice based on current policy from the information you can give them.
    Do not dispair or give up! In my experience with the Home Office there is always a way.
  4. Another bit of advice- If you want your child to have dual Nationality, speak to your own embassy in the UK, once you have a birth cert from the UK you can apply for some document (I think it's called an Aposol or something, it was for Croatia) you then take that to whereever you register for nationality in your own country with that form and the child should be granted your nationality.
    I know you need the UK passport first, but I'm sure you'll be able to get that sorted.
  5. I think you mean an Apostille.

    The Legalisation Office (FCO) - The only competent authority in the UK to issue apostilles and legalisation certificates.
  6. Thanks for that but I am not after dual nationality. I was born in England, so was he, just retiring after nearly 28 years in the Army, no other country involved.
  7. Thanks but I did, they were insistent, even suggested 'private' means of getting the detail, BUGGERS!
  8. History Man, thank you, very useful indeed. I see the scenarios you present, Captain Hook etc and feel even more pissed off, I was born, bred and raised in England, no foreign or other country connection in any of my family, just retiring after 28 years in the Army and my son gets knocked back for a passport because I never married the bitch who gave birth and then absconded. Your words are useful, hope you don't mind if I snatch them for my reply letter.

    Thanks for taking the time to give such detailed advice.
  9. If you know the mother's date of birth should should be able to look her up in the birth registers and get the information GRO require to issue a birth certificate. Actually aren't the mother's details on your child's birth certificate.

    Birth registers can be searched online through a membership with Either get a two week free trial or see if local library has free access.
  10. Thanks, mothers details are there but GRO ask for her mothers maiden name and both her parents DOB, which I don't have
  11. Were you married at the time of the child's birth? Or:

    Do you have parential responsibility ?

    i.e did you either, register the birth of the child with the mother, or have a parential responsibilty aggreement with the mother, or hold a parential responsibility order made by a Court ?

    All the above allow you to sign off the child's application.

    Edited to add good luck!
  12. Yeh, I have parental responsibility, issued by the court when she gave him up. We registered his birth together but we were not and never have been married which seems to be the sticking point.

    Thanks for the good luck
  13. Watertight, a pleasure. Feel free to PM me if you wish. H_M.
  14. That's really kind H_M, not sure what to do next or how to respond to the letter, am I able to PM a scan of it?
  15. Unless i'm missing something mate you don't need to have been married if you have been awarded parential responsibility by a court of law.

    From the DirectGov website on current child passport application rules re parents signing for the child:

    'If the parents are not married to each other, the mother can give permission. If the father is not married to the child's mother (and is not divorced from her as described above), he can give permission only if:

    he has a parental responsibility order or agreement (in which case he should send this with the application)
    he is named on the birth certificate and the birth was jointly registered on or after 15 April 2002 in Northern Ireland, 1 December 2003 in England and Wales, 4 May 2006 in Scotland.'

    Hope this helps.....