Children & US Soldier killed in Baghad Bomb

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Myss, Jul 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apologies if this has been posted already.

I haven't seen any other news pieces on this subject.

3. Well it looks like the tide is slowly turning.

After this attrocity and the latest attack which involved a car bomb and a petrol tanker (killing over 60 civilians), the locals are beggining to get seriously pissed off with the insurgents. More and more no lo0nger view them as freedom fighters, but view them as a bad foreign influence on their country.

This needs to be emphasised and backed up with imporved hearts and minds campagin (starting with fixing the infrastructure).
  4. I wonder if that particular angle will be followed up by the BBC A_S.
    Call me a cynic...
  5. Sadly I fear that things aren't that simple. Some of the TV coverage I saw had one of the locals blaming the US for the carnage, accusing them of giving out sweets so they could hide behind the children. For some at least it seems to be too late for hearts and minds to do any good. I would not be surprised to see the Iraqis call for the removal of all foreign forces - including the US.
  6. Well you would be amazed. I watched the coverage over the weekend and they did highlight the growing rejection of the insurgency by everyday iraqi's on the streets of Baghdad. I was quite taken aback by it.

long may it continue...
  7. There is growing rejection of the Insurgency. There is , the locals seem to be saying "If you can't protect us , then we will protect us"

How long before we see truckloads of tooled-up shi'ites heading for all points Sunni?

We're sliding towards civil war here, I fear.
  8. There is growing rejection of those parts of the insurgency whose methods result in excessive civilian casualties by the civilians concerned - who, let's face it are all tooled up. I suspect this means we'll see more red-on-red engagements as the civil war starts to get going rather than a reduction in the incoming seen by Coalition forces.
  9. Whilst i feel that may be true, what i saw and read at the time was that the people (iraqi's) were mainly pissed off with the foreigners (other arabs and north africans etc) who came to iraq to kill them.