Children suicide bombers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Aug 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is another thread where this theme has been hold. However, for obvious reasons it would be inappropriate to discuss it on the mentioned thread.

I would like to propose to discuss these questions:

1. Age. I believe that 15yo is a childish one while 17 is not. I'm not sure about 16. It depends on traditions of concrete country.

2. Is there even one example of a child suicide bomber in Iraq? I'm unaware about it. So is it right to use the very term 'children suicide bombers' in context of Iraqi conflict?

3. What about children suicide bombers in Palestine? How many proven cases?
  2. A quick google shows they mainly happen in Palestine, although they've been 'suspected' in Iraq and are expected in Moscow.
  3. According to the the I.D.F :

Since the beginning of violence in the Al-Aqsa Intifada in 2000, 29 suicide attacks have been carried out by youth under the age of 18.

Since the beginning of 2001, more than 40 youths under the age of 18 were involved in attempted suicide bombings that were thwarted (of them, three during 2004).
  4. Note that 18 years old mark has been used. But is 17 yo person a 'child'? I'm not sure.

In USA 14 states had explicitly set a minimum age of 16 for a capital punishment. In other words 16 yo is not a child form point of view of some American legislators. So it would be logical to regard those that are 15 years old or younger as children.

In this sense I'm unaware about even one child suicide bomber in Palestine, in Iraq, in other places. Maybe Shi Lanka?
  5. In Britain You are not treated as an adult by the courts until You are 18 - here You cannot even be named by the papers until You are 18 - except in certain exceptional circumstances
  6. In many other countries (including Russia) the situation is the same. You can vote and marry only after 18 (there are some exception though). But there is a strict rule in Russia: only after 18 you can join armed forces or be conscripted. But...

I'm unaware about current situation but at least 5 years ago there were 17 yo and even 16 yo soldiers in HM armed forces. Can we call them children soldiers?
  7. Just wondering where this thread will end up. There was an under-age kid on the X Factor tonight...
  8. KGB_Resident, there still are, and amnisty international still insist on lumping them together with the drug taking, AK-47 toting youngsters from various African states.

Child soldiers for Apprentices or Junior Soldiers/Leaders of the British Army is still a hard description to link up, in my mind.

Frenchfool still talking b0llocks to let people know you are still here I see. Why don't you go and capitualte to somebody?
  9. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure someone will) but soldiers younger than 18 are forbidden from combat in HM Forces
  10. If I could make any sense of your garbled ramblings I might take the appropriate action. As it is, I'm hampered by your apparent inability to convert thoughts into clear and meaningful sentences. As it stands, I'll bide my time and await clearer, more cogent instructions. I haven't got all night, so don't be too long now. If you're using Microsoft Word, the spellchecker has got an ABC and a little tick on it, there's a good chap
  11. Mongzilla, I couldn't give fcuk less if you don't like my spelling, it seems no one else has a problem with it on this site except you.

The post you quoted is in reply to KGB resident. Basically the British Army recruited, and still does, boys and girls down to the age of 16 years old (possibly down to 15 3/4).

For some inexplicable reason bleeding heart liberal types see fit to label these soldiers of the British Army with the title "Children Soldiers" this would mean that a young British soldier learning a trade and with zero probablitily of deploying to war is lumped in with AK-47 toting, drug taking sub-teens from the African continent and that continents brutal wars.

Get it?

Here are some pictures that may clarify it for you....

Child soldier (9 yo in this case).

Something you would see an apprentice doing.
  12. I believe there are some circles that also count the cadet force as child soldiers as the UN figures count people under 18 either fighting or undergoing training in military skills as child soldiers. How do you defend a picture of a 13 year old cadet in full cam with a Cadet GP? You and I know they are cadets, but to the rest of the world they are child soldiers.
  13. If they are under no obligation to serve in a war or in dangerous situations and they are not a part of that nations military forces then they ain't soldies. Sh1t bust.

Many other countries have military schools and the boy scouts.

If they haven't been forced (or otherwise) in to combat then they are not child soldiers.