• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Children banned from shooting events in 2012 ticket giveaway

Sounds a bit selfish. I take it that means that all of your club were shooters pre-ban (i.e. fifteen years ago)?

I know all of the GB rifle team for the Olympic disciplines, and they were all under 16 at the time. I know Gorgs Geikie (GB pistol shooter), and she was well under 16.

Do tell us how you think that they "sold you down the river" - but personally, I think that you've held your grudge for long enough.

Every single shooter who is shooting with a cartridge pistol for the UK in the Olympics can go **** themsleves. They are 'we're all right Jack' personifiied and not a ******* one of the 'chosen ones' has so much as squeaked since 1998 on the behalf of the rest of us. And Mick Gault in particular can go **** himself with his OBE, he was never the best UK shot and has made bloody sure to see himself right since the ban. There are FAR better shots in clubs across the UK than the 'chosen ones' - they know it, we know it and its going to be shown in the medals they won't win..

Every single shooter who is shooting with a cartridge pistol for the UK in the Olympics can go **** themsleves. They are 'we're all right Jack' personifiied and not a ******* one of the 'chosen ones' has so much as squeaked since 1998 on the behalf of the rest of us. .
That's just incorrect (my first thoughts were far less polite).

Young Miss Geikie has started petitions before and campaigned (along with other UK pistol shooters) - I'll go and look for some links.

The reintroduction of Longarm free pistols came about with the efforts and support of the NSRA. There was even a Labour-led position paper on how to ease our currently daft firearms legislation... Sorry if that doesn't fit in with the chips on your shoulder, or your sweeping generalisations.

Yes, the Olympic legacy for shooting looks pish - but it's at Woolwich not Bisley because of LOCOG; the NRA has exactly zero to do with Olympic sports, and LOCOG isn't listening to the other governing bodies. Given that the sport can barely afford the legacy from Manchester CG2002, another shiny range complex would soon be gathering dust like the facilities in Athens or Barcelona; Wolf Creek from Atlanta was a lovely complex, but it's been bulldozed and the remaining kit moved to Fort Benning. Sydney is fantastic, but needs a lot of support.

Shooting isn't helped by the lack of a single voice; efforts to unify the various target disciplines into a single body failed last year.

There are FAR better shots in clubs across the UK than the 'chosen ones' - they know it, we know it and its going to be shown in the medals they won't win..
They'll have to be damn good, because Gorgs missed an Olympic quota place at the recent European Championships by one place.

I'll defer to blue-sophist (and even MDN) on this one, as I'm not a pistol shooter - but I suspect that the shooters you mention are only FAR better in your (or maybe their) imagination. 50m free pistol and air pistol are perfectly legal sports in the UK, so if they want an Olympic spot they can put their money where your mouth is. If you reckon that GB has another Nestruev or Schumann hidden away and "unchosen", dream on.

I've tried to make it at international level, and I didn't succeed. It's hard work, and the standards are high. The young ones coming through the GB system now are performing far better than I ever managed; one of Malcolm Cooper's British records has just fallen, and they're regularly making top twenty in World-level competition.

They're putting careers on hold, and grafting at our sport. They deserve your support, not ill-informed and chippy sniping by a heavyweight grudge-holder.

Pistol shooting in Sydney's getting all the support it needs. We have drive-bys every night. Thank god we brought in those strict anti-gun laws. Now if we could just find those stolen army rocket launchers that were divvied up between the bikies and the hard line Muslim groups......

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
They're putting careers on hold, and grafting at our sport. They deserve your support, not ill-informed and chippy sniping by a heavyweight grudge-holder.
**** 'em and their privileged specially exempt from the handgun ban status, they're still not getting any time on our range.

Not all of them. Some will be eagerly anticipating a fat pay check in the post after a, no doubt, abysmal performance. The ideal of amatuer sportsmen in the Olympics isn't quite as true as some would hpe.

I think that GB has seriously underestimated the feelings of betrayal and disgust about the ban on handguns that people like Sunnoficarus have. Whilst I am largely indifferent to the Olympics where ever they may be, I do hope that our shooting team gets a few medals, if only because of the positive press reports that I hope will then be made. But I'm not holding my breath waiting.
If I have understood these posts correctly, then those team members who hold Section 5 certificates are being allowed to posess weapons that lesser mortals may not. What's the real reasoning? As far as I can see under such circumstances the matter of a handgun ban is largely self defeating and self contradictory, perhaps with a tinge of hypocrisy.

I think that GB has seriously underestimated the feelings of betrayal and disgust about the ban on handguns that people like Sunnoficarus have.
Yes

I do hope that our shooting team gets a few medals, if only because of the positive press reports that I hope will then be made.
I don't and there won't be any positive press reports.

And THAT is the main reason I'm so ******* disgusted with the chosen ones swanking about with their Sec 5's. All they are are PR patsies for a conniving HO that will allow them to perpetuate the myth that the handgun ban has had no effect on 'genuine sports people' who want to take up pistol shooting.
By allowing themselves to be used in this manner, they will provide the HO with a nice collection ofwinsome and photogenic people banging away with gats that are completely banned to mere mortals so they can keep the ban 100% in place as there is 'no need' to relax it because 'Look, these people can shoot pistols'.

B

Barbarella

it seems a little mean that children can't watch the shooting events, when from the ages of 8 to 18 they can shoot pistols within the Pony Club. I competed in tetrathlons (running, swimming, riding and shooting) throughout my teens and have never felt the urge to gun down the local primary school.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I made the mistake of posting the link to the Evening Standard on my Facebook page making this country look foolish again in the eyes of my overseas chums.

it seems a little mean that children can't watch the shooting events, when from the ages of 8 to 18 they can shoot pistols within the Pony Club. I competed in tetrathlons (running, swimming, riding and shooting) throughout my teens and have never felt the urge to gun down the local primary school.
I've met your child. I know just how violent he is.

<<Runs to msr's diffies room to find some shit for Jnr Barbs birthday and locks front door>>

B

Barbarella

I've met your child. I know just how violent he is.

<<Runs to msr's diffies room to find some shit for Jnr Barbs birthday and locks front door>>
I hardly think that smashing and doubling Maka's high score can be classified as violent! I thought I might drop him off for a weekend sometime?

Am the only person who thinks the Olympics have been a good thing?

How many of you are familiar with what used to be an utter shite hole that is now a building site for the Olympics? It would have stayed that way. But instead, they've created lots of jobs, some amazing facilities that will be used for years to come, and are now under international pressure to finally modernise the transport system in London.

For the rest of the UK I can understand why you're pissed off, but in London it's been quite useful. It's still going to be an epic failure that makes London look ridiculous, but it should improve standards at least a little bit. Yes, the money COULD have been spent on JUST sports facilities or JUST transport improvements or whatever; but it wouldn't have been, would it? It'd have been spent on housing somalian illegal immigrants and rehabilitating rapists. Which is even worse.

I have been working on the olympic site and it is a giant political clusterfuck down there, even for us. You have to do about 6 hours of induction just to get your contractors pass, most of it preaching utter common sense that you'd have to be an aforementioned rehabilitated somalian illegal immigrant rapist to not understand. 6 hours paid, though. Plus no ladders allowed, if you want to access something just 2 feet out of reach, scissor lift it is. I don't know how much more a Genie Scissor Lift costs (most have been bought not hired) than a ladder but I suspect it's quite a lot. Which in turn, creates more accidents, as people can't be arsed to wait 3 hours until somebody else has finished with the scissor lift, so you just get a piggy back. And a piggy back is probably more dangerous than a ladder. Lots more things comparable to that. "Shooting oneself in the foot" I think it's called. Which brings us back to the thread title...

I hardly think that smashing and doubling Maka's high score can be classified as violent! I thought I might drop him off for a weekend sometime?
You're alright thanks, nice offer though.

Your child's never playing with any of my games ever again...............

Next time I'll send him into the garden with a hand grenade to play with!!

Only two Olympic sports worth switching the telly on to ogle over, female volleyball and female gymnastics. As for watching it live... not a feckin' snowball's chance.

Yes

I don't and there won't be any positive press reports.

And THAT is the main reason I'm so ******* disgusted with the chosen ones swanking about with their Sec 5's. All they are are PR patsies for a conniving HO that will allow them to perpetuate the myth that the handgun ban has had no effect on 'genuine sports people' who want to take up pistol shooting.
By allowing themselves to be used in this manner, they will provide the HO with a nice collection ofwinsome and photogenic people banging away with gats that are completely banned to mere mortals so they can keep the ban 100% in place as there is 'no need' to relax it because 'Look, these people can shoot pistols'.
Spot on.

Only two Olympic sports worth switching the telly on to ogle over, female volleyball and female gymnastics. As for watching it live... not a feckin' snowball's chance.
I'd fully agree with bannning children from both of these.... they wont appreciate teh splendour of what they are seeing.

Am the only person who thinks the Olympics have been a good thing?

How many of you are familiar with what used to be an utter shite hole that is now a building site for the Olympics? It would have stayed that way. But instead, they've created lots of jobs, some amazing facilities that will be used for years to come, and are now under international pressure to finally modernise the transport system in London.

For the rest of the UK I can understand why you're pissed off, but in London it's been quite useful. It's still going to be an epic failure that makes London look ridiculous, but it should improve standards at least a little bit. Yes, the money COULD have been spent on JUST sports facilities or JUST transport improvements or whatever; but it wouldn't have been, would it? It'd have been spent on housing somalian illegal immigrants and rehabilitating rapists. Which is even worse.

I have been working on the olympic site and it is a giant political clusterfuck down there, even for us. You have to do about 6 hours of induction just to get your contractors pass, most of it preaching utter common sense that you'd have to be an aforementioned rehabilitated somalian illegal immigrant rapist to not understand. 6 hours paid, though. Plus no ladders allowed, if you want to access something just 2 feet out of reach, scissor lift it is. I don't know how much more a Genie Scissor Lift costs (most have been bought not hired) than a ladder but I suspect it's quite a lot. Which in turn, creates more accidents, as people can't be arsed to wait 3 hours until somebody else has finished with the scissor lift, so you just get a piggy back. And a piggy back is probably more dangerous than a ladder. Lots more things comparable to that. "Shooting oneself in the foot" I think it's called. Which brings us back to the thread title...
The money could have been spent on FOUR Aircraft carriers. That would have left a more useful legacy.