Children’s Sopwith Camel build.

Also small and cute does not allways equate to forgiving for novices.
the scariest 4 mins of my life involved flying a Columban cri cri the length of manstons runway.
never again thank you.
Wing loading and power/weight ratio plus some interesting engine out characteristics ?
I wouldn't have got in the damn thing.

image.jpeg

Well that's nearly done.
Dash back in after19 years of mods and temp wireing repairs tidied up,
I now have a small heap of surplus wireing ( and badly soldered joints) on the workbench. And for the first time in the airframes 20 years it has working dash instrument lights.
I'm looking forward to check flying it soon. ( if I can remember how!)

's easy! Stick back, houses get smaller. Stick forward, houses get bigger. Stick further back, houses get bigger really fast.....apart from that, fun aircraft to fly.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Paging @Ravers , time for an upgrade for ReversMinor?
I saw this elsewhere. I’d love Solway Aviation museum at Carlisle Airport to have it. They’ve already got a Vulcan and it’d be awesome to get a whole collection of V Bombers.

I contacted them but they’re just a small volunteer run museum and definitely don’t have the funds to move it.

In all seriousness how the **** do you move a plane that big? Even if you can get the wings off, I imagine the fuselage is too long to move by road.

In all seriousness how the **** do you move a plane that big? Even if you can get the wings off, I imagine the fuselage is too long to move by road.

30-35 metres long?
Borderline, Don't suppose the weight would be any great issue but length is probably pushing the rules
Would be nice to see it saved, personally I think its far prettier than the Vulcan

As far as I know the only place you can see all three V's is Cosford

Last edited:
Thread ressurection time.
mondays stunning weather in Lake District land got me and middle daughter aviating for the first time this year Yippee.
And we got the green device into the air at long last ( one cylinder is running significantly hotter on 1/2 power up though so it’s carb strip time I think.
DCA7A362-EA51-4F7A-A993-23BACCC1C2E2.jpeg

Demo flew a Skyranger for a bloke from Pembroke who liked it that much he bought it. He now wants me to fly it down to him in wildest Taffy land, what’s the betting the fabulous weather will have buggered off for weeks Now?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
mondays stunning weather in Lake District land got me and middle daughter aviating for the first time this year Yippee.
And we got the green device into the air at long last ( one cylinder is running significantly hotter on 1/2 power up though so it’s carb strip time I think.View attachment 478996
Demo flew a Skyranger for a bloke from Pembroke who liked it that much he bought it. He now wants me to fly it down to him in wildest Taffy land, what’s the betting the fabulous weather will have buggered off for weeks Now?
Nice prayer mat.

Never had you down as Muslim.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The skyranger in question is quite nice ( for an early one) but is a salutary tale about keeping your wallet in your pocket until you know what you want to do with an aeroplane, and have flown one of the type you are looking at with someone who knows them ( and isn’t trying to sell you one).!
The current owner , a smashing bloke , was/ is a flexwing pilot.
For the uninitiated this means he was used to a controll system which controls pitch and roll like a giant hang glider. Also the nose wheel steering on a flexwing is like a soap box go cart, push left foot , go right.
He fancied the idea of a cabin and not filling his visor with snot on a cold winters day, which would mean joining us poofy stick and rudder boys.so far so good.
instead of sharing this ambition with anyone he arrived at the airfield unannounced wth a trailer containing a pretty little red Minimax oops!
As discussed earlier in the thread pretty and little does not usually equate with learner friendly. The minimax despite being only 3.5k including trailer was\ is a little short close coupled tail dragged with no suspension, very little in brakes ( it will tip on its nose if it did) , no flaps and is made of wood so a hard landing and you are whittling kindling for weeks to repair it.
Oh and no dual controls and a completely different controll system to a trike in every way. What could possibly go wrong !
A summer wasting money on lessons in a c42 was followed by dinging a prop and eventually one panicky circuit terminating in a longeron crunching landing. It got sold !!
ps I’m not yet rated for the magic carpet Insh allah.!
Our intrepid pilot wasn’t done yet though, Next he came back with £22k,s worth of skyranger. It’s quite well built and he did a proper conversion course ( eventually) , But he has only flown it seven hours in the last 2 years and both he and the airframe weren’t doing enough to be safe and current .
So it just gone for a ridiculously cheap ( for a skyranger) £18k. And he,s looking for a nice little trike again.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And we got the green device into the air at long last ( one cylinder is running significantly hotter on 1/2 power up though so it’s carb strip time I think.View attachment 478996
I think you have the wrong thread.

That should be in

:biggrin:

The skyranger in question is quite nice ( for an early one) but is a salutary tale about keeping your wallet in your pocket until you know what you want to do with an aeroplane, and have flown one of the type you are looking at with someone who knows them ( and isn’t trying to sell you one).!
The current owner , a smashing bloke , was/ is a flexwing pilot.
For the uninitiated this means he was used to a controll system which controls pitch and roll like a giant hang glider. Also the nose wheel steering on a flexwing is like a soap box go cart, push left foot , go right.
He fancied the idea of a cabin and not filling his visor with snot on a cold winters day, which would mean joining us poofy stick and rudder boys.so far so good.
instead of sharing this ambition with anyone he arrived at the airfield unannounced wth a trailer containing a pretty little red Minimax oops!
As discussed earlier in the thread pretty and little does not usually equate with learner friendly. The minimax despite being only 3.5k including trailer was\ is a little short close coupled tail dragged with no suspension, very little in brakes ( it will tip on its nose if it did) , no flaps and is made of wood so a hard landing and you are whittling kindling for weeks to repair it.
Oh and no dual controls and a completely different controll system to a trike in every way. What could possibly go wrong !
A summer wasting money on lessons in a c42 was followed by dinging a prop and eventually one panicky circuit terminating in a longeron crunching landing. It got sold !!
ps I’m not yet rated for the magic carpet Insh allah.!
Our intrepid pilot wasn’t done yet though, Next he came back with £22k,s worth of skyranger. It’s quite well built and he did a proper conversion course ( eventually) , But he has only flown it seven hours in the last 2 years and both he and the airframe weren’t doing enough to be safe and current .
So it just gone for a ridiculously cheap ( for a skyranger) £18k. And he,s looking for a nice little trike again.
Sounds like a great example of "If it flies, floats or fxxxs it's cheaper to rent it".

Sounds like a great example of "If it flies, floats or fxxxs it's cheaper to rent it".
Usually yes.
after having a think I can remember 5 occasions when seemingly rational people declined to ask fir ( free) advice from their CFI . And just went and bought an overpriced/ grossly unsuitable/ money pit / dog ( deliete as necessary). And then expected me to sort them out with it !
luckely I’m out of that nowadays but if middle miss bomber shows promise I may have to get my ticket back as the feedback I get on the current crop of instructors around these parts is dire.

Latest Threads