Children’s Sopwith Camel build.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
When me and the wife were on honeymoon, we did Botswana, Namibia, SA and Malawi.

Lots of flying around in light aircraft, getting in and out of remote camps in the bush.

Proper adventure of a lifetime.

Nearly all the pilots were young Brits, Irish, Aussies etc who were building up their hours before going off to fly EasyJets to Alicante.

Seemed like a cracking gig.

View attachment 399177 View attachment 399178 View attachment 399179 View attachment 399180 View attachment 399181 View attachment 399182 View attachment 399183 View attachment 399184 View attachment 399185 View attachment 399186
There is only one thing that can be said about that series of smug, lookatus on holibobs that yew can't afford, photos

The photos of your wife prove you are batting well above your average.

Excellent thread Ravers.

What struck me looking at the pictures is how quickly aircraft design improved. In 20 years planes went from the Camel to the Spitfire and jet aircraft were flying less than a decade after that.
Things moved incredibly quickly indeed... Consider this. Taking one of the Wright Brothers as the first person to fly an aeroplane. He was still alive when the first spacecraft took off. So, the whole of aviation went from aircraft to space craft and the moon landing in a single lifetime (66 years).

You can research this and find that: Did You Know Only 66 Years Separated The First Successful Plane Flights And Moon Landings? for example. Plus they both came from Ohio so it's possible they could have met - but I don't know if they ever did.

Ravers, I am himbled both as a father and a grandfather. May your offspring enjoy you for many years, My youngest lad is 31 and still reminds me I haven't done the sandpit yet.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As a former member of the Senior Service the idea may fill you with horror - but my lad is a fair example of what happens when you let the sprogs near Air Cadets.

He's just come back from Antigua and will be co-driving one of Boeing's finest out to Shanghai next week....flash lal twerp :)

PS make sure Ravers Minor is well aware that the RAF was the bastard offshoot of the RNAS and some brownjobs who traded in their gee-gees ;-)
I was in the ATC. Very supportive of it as an organisation.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Solway Aviation Museum at Carlisle Airport

If you ask nicely they'll let you up in the Vulcan cockpit (and you can play with the bomb release button and let you imagination run riot)
Yep, been a few times it’s great.

There is a phot on the previous page of the boy with the end the world button.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some solid progress this evening.

Undercarriage is all done now. It’s got a proper axle instead of a bent piece of copper.

Throttle assembly is in.

Everything is sanded down and ready for paint.
13BAE24C-D41E-40A1-9B19-740EDD484F73.jpeg
1340B417-E158-4EAB-9B65-89D5DF8CC610.jpeg
4A296176-7A61-4C1F-B901-B1EF10CD365C.jpeg
0F08663B-2342-43B3-ABDC-15E486187549.jpeg
DD22062B-3F3D-42FC-BB8D-3D2B1CCA257A.jpeg
6839E069-C287-4948-B11D-1E924E3D3BA2.jpeg

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Some solid progress this evening.

Undercarriage is all done now. It’s got a proper axle instead of a bent piece of copper.

Throttle assembly is in.

Everything is sanded down and ready for paint. View attachment 399286 View attachment 399287 View attachment 399288 View attachment 399289 View attachment 399290 View attachment 399291
That engine looks incredible, I cant believe you managed that with a few tins, perhaps you could do some drawings and make a book to sell for others to copy it ?

That engine looks incredible, I cant believe you managed that with a few tins, perhaps you could do some drawings and make a book to sell for others to copy it ?
Yup. Ravers has done a grand job so far. There are more than a few kids and dads out there that would love to get stuck into that kind of thing, and it proves (again) how useful some stuff is that you'd otherwise bin or skip.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Happy to pass on plans to anyone who wants to have a go.

A lot of it is reliant on having the space to do it, i.e a farm yard and big cattle shed and lots and lots of old junk, plus a few generous Internet buddies.

There are definitely some improvements I’d make next time round and a few bits I’d do differently.

I’ve literally just made this up as I’ve gone along. I haven’t really even bothered to measure anything. If it looks about right then it’ll do. For example the wingspan just happens to be the length of the plyboard I had. The cut out from the top wing that I was gonna bin, just happens to be the right size for a rudder (the boy’s idea).

With a bit of thought and some design it could be much better.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Your lad certainly has the hunter look about him
1340B417-E158-4EAB-9B65-89D5DF8CC610.jpeg

You will need to paint some of his "kills" under the cockpit lip! Not swastikas or rising sun but something hates or dislikes intensely.

Jet Age Museum On the edge of Gloucester airport. You can actually sit in the pilot's seat of a Vulcan! (They have only the nose - not the rest of the aircraft). It does say not suitable for small children - not sure how they quantify 'small'.
Yep, I’ve said this before on another thread: it’s a great little museum - free entry! Ravers junior would love it.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Happy to pass on plans to anyone who wants to have a go.

A lot of it is reliant on having the space to do it, i.e a farm yard and big cattle shed and lots and lots of old junk, plus a few generous Internet buddies.

There are definitely some improvements I’d make next time round and a few bits I’d do differently.

I’ve literally just made this up as I’ve gone along. I haven’t really even bothered to measure anything. If it looks about right then it’ll do. For example the wingspan just happens to be the length of the plyboard I had. The cut out from the top wing that I was gonna bin, just happens to be the right size for a rudder (the boy’s idea).

With a bit of thought and some design it could be much better.
You could make patterns from construction paper out of your completed bits, with some allowances added on for where you have attached them flush or hammered nails into them to make them stick - and when the kids are busier back at school after the summer hols, maybe take the easier to disassemble bits down, photograph them and measure them. I'm sure the Russkies did something similar to get their B-29 clones in the air post-WW2.

Yep, I’ve said this before on another thread: it’s a great little museum - free entry! Ravers junior would love it.
I fly through Gloucester regularly on the BAE shuttle flight and I love the fact they have one of my favourite Aircraft there...... the Javelin :)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just as well that RFC did not believe in parachutes or you would have to chuck him out at 1000ft as part of his pilot training! :eek:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joshua Slocum The Book Club 0
Forces Pension Society Armed Forces Pension Scheme 0