Children’s Sopwith Camel build.

Well they do say you learn something every day. As @Ravers is Dark Blue, I was going to say something about the Sopwith Pup, an aeroplane with easier flying characteristics, which is why it was used for early carrier landing experiments.

However - the Camel did launch from ships:

Amazing!

Here is a Pup anyway:

Last edited:

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wrong time of the year to be asking this I know, but since you are taking it to the village show, can you do a tie in with a local school? Teaching history perhaps? Are there any local connections with World War One flying? Ex WW1/WW2 airfields?
Their school is a very small local one in the village with only 26 kids. I expect they’ll all be round at some point to have a play in it.

They come a few times a year anyway to learn about farm animals and stuff.

This does pose an interesting question though. What the **** do we do with it once the kids out grow it and get bored?

I suppose just stash it in a barn (hangar) until they have kids.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Well they do say you learn something every day. As @Ravers is Dark Blue, I was going to say something about the Sopwith Pup, an aeroplane with easier flying characteristics, which is why it was used for early carrier landing experiments.

However - the Camel did launch from ships:

Amazing!

Here is a Pup anyway:

Yep, some of the RNAS ones had quite funky stripy engine cowls in lairy colours. I was thinking of going down that route with the feed bin before Truxx offered to do a proper cowling.

...Needs a seat first. I’m thinking foam pads wrapped in some brown material. Preferably vinyl if I can find some. I’ll also need some to cover the foam padding I’ve got round the edges...
Original seat was a wicker basket chair.

Yep, some of the RNAS ones had quite funky stripy engine cowls in lairy colours. I was thinking of going down that route with the feed bin before Truxx offered to do a proper cowling.
Naval 10.

No. 10 Squadron RNAS had three flights, A with black and white stripes from the hood to the cockpit section; B flight had red and white stripes and C flight sported medium blue and white stripes. The wheel covers of all three flights show a large selection of different patterns such as checkerboards, stripes, circles and stars on a white ground, but the patterns itself were always in the colours of its flight A (black), B (red), or C (blue).

Suggestion for armament:

Now what young lad wouldn't want one of those?

Edit. Hmm, not showing up. Search Amazon for

Hasbro Nerf N-Strike Vulcan EBF-25 Blaster - Yellow

Suggestion for armament:

Now what young lad wouldn't want one of those?

Edit. Hmm, not showing up. Search Amazon for

Hasbro Nerf N-Strike Vulcan EBF-25 Blaster - Yellow
Don't forget to get an extended ammo belt for the full effect of you've had your six, I'll have my sixty. Alternatively for the Camel they come in dual form with drum mags.

Last edited:
If there's any " ethnic " kids at the school you could reenact bombing their mud huts with mustard gas, it would be a nice history lesson for them.

Colman's not Dijon obviously.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have a pal ( Dave Bremner) who has built a Bristol Scout incorporating the stick and a few other bits from his grandads old mount in WW1.
He tells me it’s only moderately demanding to fly and the bloke who brought him up to speed on it ( from old warden I think) reckoned that if he flew the scout ok he would have managed a camel.
The low hours of the pilots and the rudimentary training syllabus ( a spin was helpfully called a “ death dive” in the early years of the war). Probably accounted for much of the camels reputation with novice pilots.this is a pic of Davies creation.
Dave's Scout build has been brilliant, and boy is he having fun with it.

Lloyd loom chair ( child's for the use of)
I used to have one as a sprog.
That's the badger for a seat.
As an aside I'm quite envious of a plane mad son.
I have 3 toys (and another 10 I could fly if I asked nicely and put the fuel in,) and three daughters that as yet despite flying the eldest two since they were four years old, show not the slightest interest in becoming aviatorixes.
I’m going to give them another go this summer and if still no interest I may have to thin the toy stable out and build the mehimsahib an extension....
Bugger.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Lloyd loom chair ( child's for the use of)
I used to have one as a sprog.
That's the badger for a seat.
As an aside I'm quite envious of a plane mad son.
I have 3 toys (and another 10 I could fly if I asked nicely and put the fuel in,) and three daughters that as yet despite flying the eldest two since they were four years old, show not the slightest interest in becoming aviatorixes.
I’m going to give them another go this summer and if still no interest I may have to thin the toy stable out and build the mehimsahib an extension....
Bugger.
They all go in their own directions. My main hobby is cars, the boy shows little to no interest in them at all.

Took them to a classic / supercar show last weekend, about 20 Ferraris on show, there was an equal number of McLarens, Lambos, Astons, Bentleys and Porsches.

He spent the day walking around saying “I’m bored” and begging to go go on the pikey little funfair.

On the other hand when I take him to the runway viewing area at Manchester Airport, he’ll sit there for hours reeling off Top Trump facts about every plane that takes off.

“That’s an Emirates A330 and is fitted with Rolls Royce XYZ engines etc etc.”

On the other hand when I take him to the runway viewing area at Manchester Airport, he’ll sit there for hours reeling off Top Trump facts about every plane that takes off.

“That’s an Emirates A330 and is fitted with Rolls Royce XYZ engines etc etc.”
How sad - you appear to have bred a Crab........

They all go in their own directions. My main hobby is cars, the boy shows little to no interest in them at all.

Took them to a classic / supercar show last weekend, about 20 Ferraris on show, there was an equal number of McLarens, Lambos, Astons, Bentleys and Porsches.
You're doing it wrong, Ravers!
Introduce him to the Saabs, BMWs, Rolls Royces, etc etc etc, and show him parallels between aviation and motoring, re construction, aerodynamics, monocoques, engines and engineering etc etc etc
Hopefully he'll develop a keen interest in Bristols as he grows up.

You're doing it wrong, Ravers!
Introduce him to the Saabs, BMWs, Rolls Royces, etc etc etc, and show him parallels between aviation and motoring, re construction, aerodynamics, monocoques, engines and engineering etc etc etc
Hopefully he'll develop a keen interest in Bristols as he grows up.
I see what you did there.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joshua Slocum The Book Club 0
Forces Pension Society Armed Forces Pension Scheme 0