Children’s Sopwith Camel build.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Needed a break from tinkering with that old bike.

The kids decided they wanted a Sopwith Camel. The boy in particular is completely plane mad. Aged 8 he already has an encyclopaedic knowledge of airliners and his aircraft recognition skills would put most spotters to shame.

So I went on the scrounge around the farm and gathered up some junk I had lurking.

Some ply sheeting leftover from doing the garage, some 2x4s leftover from a shed and screws and other bits and bobs from elsewhere.

I’m not following any plans, just making it up as we go along and cutting freehand. This is as much about teaching the sprogs about building stuff than actually having a finished product.

EC97F7A7-C794-4946-9259-E7F5ED3ED502.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The boy’s first go with power tools.
DCF745C8-5B36-4702-A9A3-12F2FE6321B4.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Basic fuselage built in two halves.
EFAB18B0-7D13-42EF-9697-BBEB56F64DDC.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Found an old bin and made a nose cowling.
062C2026-9121-4759-927D-778ACC62C99B.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Top wing and tail is on.
F2A6FD6D-7E8C-4A1E-AF84-801D55D254C6.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The cut out from the top wing happens to fit perfectly as a nice rudder. Complete accident but it’s worked out well.

The boy’s idea. He was horrified when I suggested not bothering putting a rudder on.

486992D3-4B7C-4E30-BD9C-608C764365A9.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Found a ready made undercarriage from an old wheelbarrow.

Needs a new axle but definitely a win.

DBA0134C-0DD0-4F90-9D45-D38ED0CBD5D0.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bottom wing on.
52CD5B49-01F1-499E-827C-439AF6D466B6.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Undercarriage is on for now, just so I can move it around during the build.
EE411289-9D48-433A-A4B0-0439ACDF9540.jpeg
9FF6EE90-ABBF-4FFB-B938-CF7B0DB0D5AC.jpeg

Well, so far, it appears that they're putting BAeS and certainly Britten-Norman to shame!

Regards,
MM

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And that’ll do for now.

I’m gonna try and source some old car clocks and gauges this week to make a proper cockpit.

Need to work out a propellor solution and machine gun.

For the yoke / joystick I was thinking of attaching a bit of broomstick to a large spring so it moves around.

Also need to find a swivelling trolley wheel for the back.

The wings will need beefing up, they aren’t strong and sag too much.

I know it looks rough at the moment but the plan is to slap some car body filler over the cracks once it’s done and paint it up in WW1 colours with roundels etc.

29DF62CC-BC0E-46A1-9AD1-A3DA573BABB0.jpeg

Needed a break from tinkering with that old bike.

The kids decided they wanted a Sopwith Camel. The boy in particular is completely plane mad. Aged 8 he already has an encyclopaedic knowledge of airliners and his aircraft recognition skills would put most spotters to shame.

So I went on the scrounge around the farm and gathered up some junk I had lurking.

Some ply sheeting leftover from doing the garage, some 2x4s leftover from a shed and screws and other bits and bobs from elsewhere.

I’m not following any plans, just making it up as we go along and cutting freehand. This is as much about teaching the sprogs about building stuff than actually having a finished product.

View attachment 396585
Brilliant: might want to obscure the numberplate on your motor though.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Brilliant: might want to obscure the numberplate on your motor though.
No fucks given. If someone wants to write it down they’re just as likely to do it while I’m driving through town.

No fucks given. If someone wants to write it down they’re just as likely to do it while I’m driving through town.
And there was me thinking you were someone important. Illusion shattered!

In all seriousness you should have seen the look of utter disappointment when I explained to them that it won’t actually fly.

I felt like I’d failed as a father.
You mean it won't fly? I thought this was your way of getting a crop duster complete with pilots on the cheap.

Edit - I assume you're going to train them to make the appropriate noises as well?

Bring the young ones to Canada to show Bombardier what production actually means.

Never mind the pukka instruments. Invest in a semicircular projection screen mit projector, a couple of iPads mounted behind a fascia for basic six instruments and then hook it all up to a copy of something like X-Plane in one of your missus’ vast number of outbuildings. You won’t see him again until he comes back and asks you for a plywood Spitfire, Mustang, Superfortress etc. Rinse, repeat.

Latest Threads