Childminding from Quarter??

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by J_B_, Nov 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Hi,

    I'd like to get some direction and I'm not too sure where I should be looking.

    My wife would like a change in career and is wanting to become a Registered Childminder. We're currently living in married quarters, where she wants to run her "business" from and I'm unsure whether this shall be allowed by housing.

    Has anyone got experience in this or details of where I should go for the best advice?

    Thanks in advance,

  2. OFSTED will also need to inspect your house to see if it is suitable. Could be a problem if they think it is not suitable for human occupation.

    look at the OFSTED site for more info. It can take some time to get registered and it is illegal to do it without registration. If you are registered on the list those people who use you can claim working tax credit for the care so making you more attractive.

    Your local council should also be able to help as they must publish a sufficiency list regularly and if they have a gap in supply they may be willing to provide start up funding as well as training.

    some links This is from my council but has general info.
  3. samm1551

    samm1551 Old-Salt Book Reviewer

    If your overseas then the childminding co-ordinator will be able to help you with all of that, but you do need toseek permission from the housing office. As far as I am aware this is not normally a problem.
  4. Thanks for the replies and information guys. Much appreciated.

    Drivers_log, I would do but as she's only mentioned it in the last few days and I'm not presently posted in the area of my quarter I thought I'd get some useful feedback from here. Thanks anyway though.

  5. I think you have to get permission from the CO to run a business from your quarter before you go to DE.
  6. Have heard that before but my quarter is 30 miles from my current duty station. I think I'll just go straight to housing and ask permission from them.

    Thanks again!

  7. I don't think it's about distance from the boss, it's more to do with making sure it doesn't conflict with what you do for a living.
  8. I know its allowed because the lady who looks afte my child lives in a married quarter. Its just a matter of gaining the correct permissions. IE: C.O or DHE.
  9. All the best to you and your wife with this. I am way out of date with any info on this so cannot really advise, but all my daughter's childminders were army wives in MQs, and they all did a great job.
  10. Is that not for if you want to get a second job yourself? Otherwise you'd have to ask the CO's permission everytime your missus wanted to get a job.

    JB, have a look in your occupation licence that you signed when you moved in, it will have a section about running a business from your quarter in there and it should say who you need permission from as well.
  11. You only have to ask permission if she's going to be running a business from the quarter.
  12. Thanks very much for the replies guys. It really is appreciated.