Childhood!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by B_AND_T, Mar 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

2. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I remember wheb Scotland Yard was Whitehall 1212, and all 'phone numbers were preceded by the name of town or area.

Sweet tobacco , I bought some in a 'Yesteryears' museum in Great Yarmouth 2 weeks ago.

How about this?
    Listen With Mother (1950-82)

with Ann Driver, George Dixon, Daphne Oxenford, Dorothy Smith, Eileen Browne (left), Catherine Edwards and Julia Lang (right).

Few radio memories come as misty-eyed as this: no other signature tune evokes the warmth and tenderness of childhood security as powerfully as the Berceuse from Faure's Dolly Suite.
    Midi version of Berceuse

3. Strange, at the time the jumpers just seemed to be part of life. The beard was always odd though.

Has anyone tried updating the number with an 020 7 code and seeing if it still works?

4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Never tried, but you correct about the jumpers.

5. I miss Apple Tarts and pineapple chunks

6. You guys are certainly showing your age!!! As I dont recall those sweets or the Whitehall Number.

I remember spangles and sherbert Dib Dabs...

I was the kid brought up with Rentaghost, the Adventure Game, Monkey, The Muppets, and recall think of a number with Johnny Ball, Charlton and the Wheelers, How with Fred Dinage, John Noakes with Shep.. ..

and later

He Man and the Masters of Universe

Knightmare

7. Wasn't it called Spanish Gold?

8. yeah but who really really really longed to be that cowboy who was really cool in the Toffo's (?) advert... "go get 'em Floyd..." .... classic..

9. whatever happened to doing a shit with peanuts in it? ahhhhh the good ol' days

10. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

11. Ah yes a bag of these and a copy of Smash Hits... and still have change from 50p :wink:

Attached Files:

12. Muffin the Mule!

Andy Pandy and Golliwog .. ..

All this when the whole family sat in front of the 12" B & W TV for the limited hours of broardcasting. It took the TV some 5 minutes to warm up and the picture to settle down.

Penny Blacks (Sweets) Fruit Salad (Sweets)

Playing in the woods, making swings over streams, Dens and tree houses!
    The local village Bobby on his bike.

12 - 13 year old driving tractors on the road, leading the harvest in!

Speak when you spoken to, seen and not heard!

Prpoer Youth Clubs in every village with Scouts and Guides leading.

Train spotting a Retford, watching at the big A4 Pacifics thundering through, the sight, the smells the power of steam and always on time!

Church on the Sunday, with all the family there, school nativity plays, I was always a Roman Soldier!

School Sports days, where there were winners and loosers, in all sports!

And the ability to use your imagination when playing out, while respecting your betters and elderers.

And I was NEVER bored!

13. Jumpers for goal posts...

14. I remember my childhood fondly......... 'Please Uncle Mick, i don't want to play that game again! Uncle Mick noooooooo!'
    *shudders*

15. Salt'n'shake crisps.

For that matter, salt & vinegar and cheese & onion crisps came in the right coloured packets.

Toblerone was considered exotic and you got spud-guns given away free with the Beano.

British Railways. And proper cardboard tickets, printed in advance and stamped when they were sold in one of those big brass stamping machines.

Proper snow. Which lasted long enough to make a slide on.

Segs.