child tax credit did you miss out?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by big_mac4824, Feb 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the old trouble and strife is going back to work, and was enquiring about tax credits to assisst with child care costs, when she discovered that if you had children born between 1985-2003 you are line to claim up to 1500 pounds.

apparently back then the tax man selected people rather than you applying yourself! if you go to google and type child tax credits it is at the top, not sure if this is the correct forum but hey, hope its useful!
  2. No got mine. All is not lost you have until Jan 31st 2009 to claim for year 2002-2003

Go for it still worth approx 500

3. You obviuosly had to have your children with a childminder over the period?
    My wife worked part time over this period, could she claim anything?
  4. the child care component is only a part of the claim, i don't use child care but i still get child tax credit. Its worth checking out.
  5. This is a bit hard to explain, but will do my best.

What you need to claim is the Childrens Tax Credit Relief this preceded the new tax credit.

You had to claim this and it is paid to the the higher tax earner if you are a couple.

The only year you can claim for now is 2002-2003 easy way to check if you had this is to check your P60 for that year if your tax code was in 400 probably not had it so ask your tax office to check.

What I did is wrote to my tax office (cardiff because I am serving) and asked them to check if I had been allowed this allowance

I just told them the the date of birth of my child my ex husbands NI number and my own NI number and presto got my money.

Hope this helps

7. I claimed child tax credit and it was a big help. That is untill they decided they got their sums wrong and stuck me for a 3 grand bill. Cheers Tone! Cnuts the lot of em