Child Benefit

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bootifull, Nov 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That'l be more forms to fill in later on then...again
  2. "Revenue and Customs says it does not believe the records - names, addresses and bank accounts - have fallen into the wrong hands."

So where exactly are they?

It's OK everything will be fine as the government takes identity fraud seriously and is doing its best to eradicate it.

Yeah right - been there seen it done it now it's the turn of another 15 million people. Poor buggers.

Now may be a good time to buy shares in Experian?

3. Well it means I'm one step closer to being Chairman of HMRC!

In all seriousness, if I were a Child Benefit claimant I wouldn't worry too much about it - if they say they don't believe they've fallen into the wrong hands they've got some idea what's happened to the discs, they just can't say.
  4. my bold

Eh??? Do you really believe those words of yours? Or are you just toeing the company line? You trust this government to provide the truth during a crisis? You trust the government?
  5. I AM the Government!!!
    (I'm on a work PC, got to tow/toe the line) :)
  6. You mean our taxes are paying for you to loiter on the ARRSE boards? It's a scandal! It's outrageous! Fair play, though.
  7. Yes, not to worry. Only the names, home addresses, dates of birth, National Insurance numbers and bank details of 7.5 (or 15 million according to some reports) of child benefit recipients on unencrypted discs that had been transported in total breach of all standards governing data protection in the UK.

And the latest in a line of information security disasters for the merged Inland Revenue and Customs & Excise.

"Something is wrong at HMRC. While these incidents may be completely unrelated, more likely they point to an underlying, systemic IT management and governance problem at the agency."

Fortunate then that the biggest department of them all, created by Gordon Brown, does not actually have a Minister in charge of it. Fortunate too that Paul Gray is 59 and has not terribly far to fall onto the Golden Sword so conveniently placed before him.

But at 15.30 the House of Commons will see Darling, A, stand up for his second defence of the indefensible and ritual humiliation in as many days.

Ohh I bet he wished he had taken Defence after all.
  8. OK so what's the benifit of having children :?
  9. >looks up and sees that Blast we are not in the Naafi<

No comment :p
  10. I have to admit though, it makes a change to see someone fall on their sword over a c0ck-up, even if, as Blogg stated, it's not all that far to fall.

Messrs Blair (Ian & Tony) take note.
  11. It's about time child benefit was scrapped.
  12. Thanks to this debacle it's as good as scrapped! 15 million records is astonishing, that amounts to 1 in 4 people in the UK who have personal information in an as yet unidentified location.

At least Paul Gray has done the decent thing, what about Darling and his predecessor?
  13. :roll:
  14. And the benefit of having a child is certainly not financial.