ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Chilcot Inquiry thread

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RCT(V), May 21, 2014.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. @paddyplanty Planty you clearly disagree with my views re Chamberlain.

In the spirit of debate can I ask why - Genuine curiosity on my part as I thought it was a pretty universal and non contentious view - I'm not whinging about icons

2. Apologies @Lindermyer - fat flinger error, corrected

3. Oh - and I was so looking forward to a fight over the merits of chamberlains position as well.

4. No, sadly for you, I was made aware that Chamberlain wasn't an easily fooled old appeaser and was playing for time.

I'll have to find something else to disagree on with you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. That's right, always blame a footballer

6. I rarely think so nothing to believe most of the time.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Oh no, the service is completely free.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. And of course it doesn't make it right.

9. I'm pretty sure it's already been mentioned on this thread, however it appears 'Tony Blair: The movie' will become a reality (God help us) I strongly suspect Micheal Sheen may play his character too.

Obviously, previously Labour's most successful leader will play a prominent role, however the GFA & the build up to Telic & Chilcot Enquiry will also make a significant contribution.

La La Land look out: top producer in talks to make 'Blair, the movie’

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

He might have saved the La La Land title for his fictional hagiography of TB.

11. Yes we should all be paid to see it:-D

12. NSP

NSP LE

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. NSP

NSP LE

Shame he didn't put it in his report, really.

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. He did. Just in a very polite manner.

Like in his interview, it isn't the Civil Service way to say "the Prime Minister was a delusional nitwit with a Messiah complex, a lawyers' ability to make the truth bend to fit his desires, and a peculiar desire to pander to the desires of the Americans above the needs of the UK".

Instead you say he relied on "beliefs not facts"
    That he was "always and ever an advocate...not departing from the truth but persuasion is everything"
    That there was a need to exert influence on American policy by "Just go along"
    "Any Prime Minister taking a country into war has got to be straight with the nation...I don't believe that was the case in the Iraq instance."

Chilcot is Sir Humphrey.He went a very long way in that report, but you have to be alert to the nuances.

• Like Like x 7