Chieftains in a 70s-early 80s BAOR documentary

I remember a BAOR/cold war documentary from the mid 70s-early 80s. There was a bit on chieftains and they filmed the lads bivowacked, making meals in the bv, radio watch, etc.
I think it was said that this site was their forward position where, if the balloon went up, they'd advance to await the WP.

They were in a wood/copse overlooking a significant valley, the opposite side of this valley was also high meaning the WP would been seen approaching, and be sitting ducks if they broke the skyline or drove down the track on the opposite gradient. I don't recall what was at the bottom of the valley.

The cheiftains had dug a 3 headed Y, they would reverse back and wait in the tail and could then emerge from any of the 3 hull-down firing points.

Does anyone remember it (the film)? Or does that fighting scenario sound familiar?

The scenario sounds similar to the one we had.
IIRC, our real forward positions, should GSFG fancy a holiday on the channel coast, were kept under lock & key in the Regimental "keep".

I remember a BAOR/cold war documentary from the mid 70s-early 80s. There was a bit on chieftains and they filmed the lads bivowacked, making meals in the bv, radio watch, etc.
I think it was said that this site was their forward position where, if the balloon went up, they'd advance to await the WP.

They were in a wood/copse overlooking a significant valley, the opposite side of this valley was also high meaning the WP would been seen approaching, and be sitting ducks if they broke the skyline or drove down the track on the opposite gradient. I don't recall what was at the bottom of the valley.

The cheiftains had dug a 3 headed Y, they would reverse back and wait in the tail and could then emerge from any of the 3 hull-down firing points.

Does anyone remember it (the film)? Or does that fighting scenario sound familiar?
I bet they hadn’t ‘dug’ anything themselves:)

The scenario sounds similar to the one we had.
IIRC, our real forward positions, should GSFG fancy a holiday on the channel coast, were kept under lock & key in the Regimental "keep".
I thought you pretty much practised on your "bit" of Germany so knew the area well? These guys probably overlooked a river? at the bottom of the ravine so would they defend such an obstacle?

I thought you pretty much practised on your "bit" of Germany so knew the area well? These guys probably overlooked a river? at the bottom of the ravine so would they defend such an obstacle?
We only normally deployed to 'practise' survival locations - the real ones were recce'd in detail so everyone knew where to go but deploying to them on exercise would rather give the game away. @undervalued is correct - these locations, mobilisation and deployment orders were all SECRET and therefore in a secure cabinet in Regimental Ops, all very Dr Strangelove...

We only normally deployed to 'practise' survival locations - the real ones were recce'd in detail so everyone knew where to go but deploying to them on exercise would rather give the game away. @undervalued is correct - these locations, mobilisation and deployment orders were all SECRET and therefore in a secure cabinet in Regimental Ops, all very Dr Strangelove...
memory jog:- When the Russians" invaded" Afghanistan, BAOR bugged out, we went to our , so I as told later, WW3 location, stayed for a few days, returned to barracks, where everybody was confined, including the pads, for a few days, while the head sheds determined the threat.

Boxy

GCM
IIRC a dozer blade was fitted to a chieftain.
When I joined the Regt there were 3 tanks in SHQ and 3C was the dozer tank.
The blade was more a hood ornament than an act of war, in my three years in the Sqn I never once saw it actually work

We knew our area quite well.
Any obstacle that delays the enemy would have been a killing zone. Chieftain was designed to be used more in defence than attack.
You must remember that at the time of the cold war, the Warsaw Pact had an enormous artillery capability & would have tried to destroy anything in it's path.
NATO was largely dependent on air power to destroy that capability.
IIRC, the WP reckoned on getting to the channel coast within five to seven days.
In my opinion, should the WP have been on course to achieve that, it would have gone nuclear.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I reckon my ARV's would have been safe. Covered in loosely sewn hessian sheets, a stringy camnet with plastic strips that no way matched the woodland/village environment we were leagured in. So long as we chucked the Herfy Yellow Handbags in a tool bin if it all kicked off.

We knew our area quite well.
Any obstacle that delays the enemy would have been a killing zone. Chieftain was designed to be used more in defence than attack.
You must remember that at the time of the cold war, the Warsaw Pact had an enormous artillery capability & would have tried to destroy anything in it's path.
NATO was largely dependent on air power to destroy that capability.
IIRC, the WP reckoned on getting to the channel coast within five to seven days.
In my opinion, should the WP have been on course to achieve that, it would have gone nuclear.
Cheers. So in planning to defend a river/ravine/boggy ground, how much thought is given to escape routes, the idea being to deliver a bloody nose and then a fighting retreat?

par avion

War Hero
memory jog:- When the Russians" invaded" Afghanistan, BAOR bugged out, we went to our , so I as told later, WW3 location, stayed for a few days, returned to barracks, where everybody was confined, including the pads, for a few days, while the head sheds determined the threat.
Er ....That must have been some map reading error. Set off for the channel ports and end up in Afghanistan. Russian officers with maps appeared to be worse than ours.

Mind you a large part of Afghanistan appears to make the journey in reverse nowadays.

syrup

LE

Did the secret orders ever contain a movement order for a bus full of nurses?

Someone must have seen it

Can you say what it was? A wood or copse on a rise? A wood/copse on a rise behind a river/canal? The edge of an urban area also on a rise? :)

Latest Threads