Chieftains - Bob Forrest-Webb

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by chris951, Apr 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If anyone is after this book there are currently 2 for sale (second hand) on Amazon.

Not super cheap but around the £25 mark.

Linky thing

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

TWENTY FIVE POUNDS? It cost about DM2 in the 1970s FFS!!!

3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Bugger!

It's a very good book, came out same sort of time as 'Team yankee' and is a better book.

I will have to have a look at site when I get home.

Has anyone ever read a series called 'The Zone' ? about a British combat team in a future-ish war. Not bad, for blood and thunder.

4. I thought this came out years before Team Yankee, in fact i think the RAC were using Callengers by the time this one came out. About as realistic as it gets, the author was obviously an 'ex'. Dead bleak ending after stopping the WARPACs in their tracks, I decided I didn't want to read it again so passed it on for the price of the postage.

5. I remember this book it came out about 81 and Team Yankee was about 86 - both excellent reads but I agree a bleak ending in Chieftains...wish I'd have kept my copy.

6. Is this the one where the Tank/Cav Regt CO gets captured and it turns out his GRU interrogators know everything about him - including the fact he's been banging the wife of one of his officers?

One of the other characters is a Tp Sgt who gets made up to WO1?

7. Correct. Col Studley and Sgt Davis if memory serves...
    The CO goes out with a bang too.