chieftain

Discussion in 'RAC' started by queenshussar, Apr 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,im trying to get hold of a book called "chieftain" set during the cold war in hohne,germany. the 14/20th are the main regiment set in the book.the story is of ww3 happening and the 14/20th going into action.
    ive been trying for a long time to get hold of the book but dont now the author.
    can anybody help?
    cheers

2. A quick search found this

Clicky

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker

CHIEFTAINS:THE DOCUMENTARY NOVEL A WW3 TANK COMMANDER
    FUTURA 1982 1st EDITION 256pp 8vo IN SIZE
    SUNRAY TO BRAVO TWO. TROOP MOVEMENT SECTOR MARIGOLD. FULL RED ALERT...
    Author: BOB FORREST WEBB (PETER TREVELYAN)

THIS BOOK IS A FRIGHTENINGLY AUTHENTIC NOVEL OF THE INVASION OF EUROPE BY THE RUSSIAN AND WARSAW PACT ARMED FORCES DURING THE COLD WAR AS SEEN THROUGH THE EYES OF THE FIGHTING MEN ON THE GROUND. IN PARTICULAR IT TELLS THE STORY OF THE CREW OF BRAVO TWO, A CHIEFTAIN MAIN BATTLE TANK OF THE BRITISH 4TH ARMOURED DIVISION, AS THEY FACE THE ONSLAUGHT OF THE SOVIET ARMOUR IN THE KILLING ZONES OF THE GERMAN PLAIN.

3. Been trying to recall this book for ages - excellent read.
    I think it links closely with Gen Sir John Hacketts Third World War - if I'm thinking of the right one.
    Two's up on anyone's copy (plus copy of 3rd WW)

4. I got to page 27 while on guard in Tidworth. The IRA then blew up the Brighton hotel and someone nicked the book while we went to Panic Stations. :cry:

5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I'd suggest that ties in quite well with how the book ends, but I'd hate to be labelled a spoiler.

6. many thanks, ive just got to track down somebody who is publishing now.
    cheers

7. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Let me know if you have no joy finding a copy, I have the book and will lend if you have no luck getting hold of your own.

8. I have been trying to get hold of this book for ages and it is like the proverbial rocking-horse sh*t to find.

However! ..... I currently have one copy of it and may just be getting another copy through real soon now.

PM me and make me an offer!

P.S. If you want to try and find it yourself it was written by BOB FORREST-WEBB, published by FUTURA in 1982 and the ISBN is 0 7088 2150 2

9. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I've still got some Sven Hassel & JT Edson somewhere :oops:

10. So have I LOL.

11. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Yes by your cav & I have a reputation to think of :wink: Have your heard from blackie lately.

12. Wouldn't have thought YOUR reputation was worth worrying about these days ;)

No I haven't heard from him but expect to do so when rugby drags him to Murrayfield.

13. Great read in it's day, I had a copy for ages; someone told me a lot of the research was done in the old bar opposite the main gate at Hohne, perhaps that's why one of the loaders loses the fingers of his left hand in the breach during part of the action!!!

14. fingers of left hand??? how would you do that exactly ..had to ram with the right , then both hands on the breech lever to close..make shield with left and holler loadad :)