chieftain turret problems

could anybody help a mate of mine he has got hold of a chieftain mbt 06fa78 and is having problems getting the turret to work somebody went to see him but they ripped him of for five grand and they have never been seen since he does a lot of charity work the imvg club i know he has some parts but i dont know what they are he is also willing to put them up and he will pay there travel costs as he lives in southern ireland so if you can help please let me know thanks

00eb85 said:
could anybody help a mate of mine he has got hold of a chieftain mbt 06fa78 and is having problems getting the turret to work somebody went to see him but they ripped him of for five grand and they have never been seen since he does a lot of charity work the imvg club i know he has some parts but i dont know what they are he is also willing to put them up and he will pay there travel costs as he lives in southern ireland so if you can help please let me know thanks
An invaluable contact would be Bob Grundy.
He owns/runs BMV
http://home.btconnect.com/bearuk/about.htm
He has loads of contacts and may well be able to put your mate in touch with someone.
Good luck

00eb85 said:
Also the Aldershot Military Museum, they a working Chieftain & Chally 1

00eb85 said:
I hope he needs power traverse to swat a couple of paint-ballers!

Attachments

By does'nt work! What do you mean? Will it not traverse manually or are you saying that the power traverse is not functioning? Theres alot of ????? between why its not working....

elovabloke

ADC
scarletto said:
Does that chieftan fire paintballs then?
Which scale and can we go out to 2000m if so we can invite the grunts down for a game.

It'll be a fuse - it's always a fuse.

PM me. There's somebody in Northern Ireland who has the knowledge and skills to assist.

PM the exact symptoms mate, sure we can come up with an answer...
(PS. However.. I reckon 'GDav' is your best option mate)

Be interested to hear the symptoms too. Must be 27 years since I changed a traverse gearbox but some things seem to stick.

R

Reversionary_Modes

Poor old Chieftain - it never really was a serious act of war, even if the L60 sounded the part on the rare occasions it actually worked!

You could also try contacting the RAC Tank Museum at Bovington. They still have a couple of running examples & a workshop to keep them going.

Have you fed the traverse monster recently?

It likes combat jacket pockets and the odd finger now and then...

Reversionary_Modes said:
Poor old Chieftain - it never really was a serious act of war, even if the L60 sounded the part on the rare occasions it actually worked!

You could also try contacting the RAC Tank Museum at Bovington. They still have a couple of running examples & a workshop to keep them going.
Cobblers. It was an excellent piece of kit. Even the L60 was a brilliant concept and when it was upgraded to 850bhp the tank became unbeatable in its time.

The CR1 Version was absolutely superb.

GDav said:
Reversionary_Modes said:

Cobblers. It was an excellent piece of kit. Even the L60 was a brilliant concept and when it was upgraded to 850bhp the tank became unbeatable in its time.

Jeez, nostalgia for Chieftain!! Never thought I would live to hear it. I take it you didn't have to suffer on Mks 1 to 5 in the 70s? What a joke that was. Spent three weeks preparing for FTX and 50% of the Regiment was decks up on the hard shoulder within three miles of camp!

light_projector said:
GDav said:
Reversionary_Modes said:

Jeez, nostalgia for Chieftain!! Never thought I would live to hear it. I take it you didn't have to suffer on Mks 1 to 5 in the 70s? What a joke that was. Spent three weeks preparing for FTX and 50% of the Regiment was decks up on the hard shoulder within three miles of camp!
You take it wrong. I worked on 3XY upwards and I was at Demo Sqn for three years where you're doing FTX mileage every week.

GDav said:
light_projector said:
GDav said:
Reversionary_Modes said:

You take it wrong. I worked on 3XY upwards and I was at Demo Sqn for three years where you're doing FTX mileage every week.
You didnt break down too much because the tanks were being used properly!! The same was the case on our CR2 fleet at Warminster. Some C/S' were doing 300-500km a week with fewer problems than a regular Regiment.

The scenario of getting into work, pulling your panzer 25 yards out the hanger, genny on, ME on tickover all day then pulling it back in at 4pm does tanks no good whatsoever. Hence why they break down as they leave camp!!

ArmySurplusSpecial said:
GDav said:
light_projector said:
GDav said:
Reversionary_Modes said:

You didnt break down too much because the tanks were being used properly!! The same was the case on our CR2 fleet at Warminster. Some C/S' were doing 300-500km a week with fewer problems than a regular Regiment.

The scenario of getting into work, pulling your panzer 25 yards out the hanger, genny on, ME on tickover all day then pulling it back in at 4pm does tanks no good whatsoever. Hence why they break down as they leave camp!!
He has a point - up to a point, about the L60. The design was excellent but it was decided to keep it down to 650bhp initially to cut costs. It didn't work and after ten years of piston liners bursting and conrods snapping they upgraded it to the 850bhp (trialled as the Sundance pack at Demo Sqn) and that was excellent. They even (almost) eradicated the fault of the RH Fan Tensioner dropping and cutting the oil feed pipe to the hub.

No more soggy air cleaner biscuits - bliss.

you could just try putting a tpr in the gunners seat and kicking him till it starts to move normaly works or take the round that is wedged in the traverse

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
GDav said:
Reversionary_Modes said:

Believe the Israeli's wanted to buy them but were refused so they went Yank instead - imagine what sales would have been if they had sold to Israel.

Schaden said:
GDav said:
Reversionary_Modes said:

Believe the Israeli's wanted to buy them but were refused so they went Yank instead - imagine what sales would have been if they had sold to Israel.
Other way round. We tried to sell them to Israel. There was reputed to have been a troop of three pressed into action during the six day war. Whether or not that be true this much is: Israel rejected the tank because the gun was too powerful - overkill in their opinion. They needed to knock Russain built kit out, then recover it and press it into service. 120mm sabot dod too much damage whereas 105mm kills were recoverable.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
StumpyHussar RAC 6
commander RAC 2
commander RAC 47