Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Chieftain tank range hulk, based on 1/35th Tamiya kit

What’s the verdict on the culprit for those penetrations on the real target? Doesn’t look like fin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the pictures of 00DA05, I’d guess fin coming out. Maybe APDS going in, but that would make it rather old.
Not an explosive nature; Too little surface damage.

It makes me think that is not penetration by SHP (Squash Head Practice) given it is not designed to penetrate armour the clue being in the name. It is uncommon to find SHP (as in Post73) in that state as it is usually deformed even when hitting the ground.

Those shots are more likely to be of some form of kinetic energy round.
Probably a really, really, big air rifle..

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
It makes me think that is not penetration by SHP (Squash Head Practice) given it is not designed to penetrate armour the clue being in the name. It is uncommon to find SHP (as in Post73) in that state as it is usually deformed even when hitting the ground.

Mice

aardvark64

War Hero
Cow-pat

On the pictures of 00DA05, I’d guess fin coming out. Maybe APDS going in, but that would make it rather old.
Not an explosive nature; Too little surface damage.
Agreed, been reading this and thinking those are Sabot round hits! When did the fin stabilised darts come in? Didn’t the Challie 1 use the same tube as Chieftain?

So, back to the model build, the kit barrel has the Thermal sleeve molded onto it, impossible to remove and leave a nice smooth barrel, so a piece of scrap aluminium tube from the garage and cut it to the same length as the kit barrel, leaving off the bit at the end where it attaches to the turret.
kit gun and aluminium tube.jpg

the stub dry fitted, has issues, needs filling and sanding to get rid of that 1970's join.
barrel stub.jpg

the tube needs the fume extractor fitted and a sprue insert to join it to the stub.
sprue length in tube.jpg

the gun barrel with a coat of Mr Surfacer covering the fume extractor, made from tape rolled on to the same dimensions as the kit one.
gun barrel a.jpg

the search light has a solid filling in the lamp circle, so that was drilled and cut out and sanded smooth.
search light box shredded.kpg.jpg

the searchlight box is adjacent to a none penetrating hit on the side of the turret, so the box will be shredded with shrapnel holes, first drill the holes through with the dremol, the holes look too neat and regular.
search light box shredded f.jpg

the holes made jagged with a dental burr type tool in the dremol.
search light box shredded.jpg

the gun fitted and the turret top and bottom halves joined and left to harden.
gun fitted b.jpg

plenty of pe tie downs left, I don't think they would have been removed from hulks before they are placed on the range, but my images of real hulks aren't close enough to tell. These are small and fiddley.
pe tie downs.jpg

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

obviously it was damage from an SLR.

Daz

LE

Latest Threads