Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Chieftain tank range hulk, based on 1/35th Tamiya kit

4(T)

LE
on the subject of shell holes, making a start using a Dremel mini drill (other makes are available) to make the holes, coating the inside of the holes with Mr surfacer, when this is dry and hardened off I can re-create the texture of broken armour with the tip of a file.
View attachment 525152

using the real thing for reference, you can just make out striation marks in the armour from the driving bands of the shells, something to think about reproducing in miniature.
View attachment 525154

I used to make holes using a hot soldering iron.

The resulting ridge of melted plastic around the hole was a very good representation of the ring you get around armour penetrations, such as in the photo.

NSP

LE
not like that, plastic needs to be drilled and filled with filler and filed to look like cracked and broken steel, anyway, lots more to do until then, like these unrealistic tabs that hold the long bins on the side of the hull. Due for removal.
View attachment 525053
Put it all together and then pop it down the end of the garden. Get comfy on the patio and take leisurely pot-shots with your trusty air rifle for that authentic scaled "hit from a distance" look.

looking at some of the range wrecks on the internet, a shot through a road wheel breaks off the solid rubber tyre the other side, as they are molded as a solid piece I used the dremel tool to carve away the tyre and expose the rim.
damaged wheel b.jpg

a shot through the thickest portion of the turret armour needs plasticard placed inside to thicken it up to scale, drilled and filled with Mr Surfacer so it can be filed to shape when it dries.
hit on turret.jpg

Chef

LE
Put it all together and then pop it down the end of the garden. Get comfy on the patio and take leisurely pot-shots with your trusty air rifle for that authentic scaled "hit from a distance" look.

Several years ago I used an Airfix Leopard as a target, the turret went on the first shot but the front glacis plate wasn't penetrated although the plastic went white where it had been stressed by the .22 pellets. A working example of the benefits of sloped armour.

A shot right on the joint between top and bottom armour blew it apart.

Fire4effect

Old-Salt
What’s the verdict on the culprit for those penetrations on the real target? Doesn’t look like fin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boxy

GCM
HESH, too large a hole for fin. Which is basically a dart with shoes.
Not my understanding of how HESH works...

My understanding is the round pancakes against the armour and shock waves travel through causing a scab to fly off in all directions turning everything into mince inside.

HEAT round? Or Shot?

This is a cracker and you've only just started!

looking at some of the range wrecks on the internet, a shot through a road wheel breaks off the solid rubber tyre the other side, as they are molded as a solid piece I used the dremel tool to carve away the tyre and expose the rim.
View attachment 525364
a shot through the thickest portion of the turret armour needs plasticard placed inside to thicken it up to scale, drilled and filled with Mr Surfacer so it can be filed to shape when it dries.
View attachment 525365
<aside>
SPTA is littered with chunks of road wheel rubber. They’re the dog’s for cleaning sanding belts and discs vs. >£7 for a commercial block.
<resume normal jogging>

Not my understanding of how HESH works...

My understanding is the round pancakes against the armour and shock waves travel through causing a scab to fly off in all directions turning everything into mince inside.

HEAT round? Or Shot?

agreed, one of these....
solid shot.jpg

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not a tankie, but if Hesh Prac is penetrating frontal armour of a Chiefie, should it make past crew members think?

Boxy

GCM
I'm not a tankie, but if Hesh Prac is penetrating frontal armour of a Chiefie, should it make past crew members think?
Most definitely, it’s just that that is what it looks like is being held in the photo

On my desk, to the left of the kettle is a slug of armour punched out by AP or Sabot?
img301 (2)~2.jpg

Found on Hohne ranges early 1970's but no clue what it came from or how long it had been there.

I wish I still had it.

It makes me think that is not penetration by SHP (Squash Head Practice) given it is not designed to penetrate armour the clue being in the name. It is uncommon to find SHP (as in Post73) in that state as it is usually deformed even when hitting the ground.

Those shots are more likely to be of some form of kinetic energy round.