Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Chieftain tank range hulk, based on 1/35th Tamiya kit

Daz

LE
This picture posted by @Daz is I think of an ex-Iranian Chieftain in Iraq:

View attachment 525004
Interestingly it seems to be next to an Archer 17pdr SP which, if correct, would have found its way to Iraq most likely via either Jordan or Egypt.

I could be wrong though!
No, you're right

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
That's bookmarked for next year
We went this time last year - very moving. My only previous time in Imber had been dug in on the hillside above the village as a cadet on a TA exercise in 1976 with 6/7 QUEENS.

This time the roads were covered in 30mm empties from AH64 - how times change!

That looks like a challenge. How do you propose to do it?

Support the plastic on a sand bed and punch a hole out from the inside by striking a cork borer (maybe in a part-drilled hole)? With just the right combination of sand size, impact and temperature, you might get a reproducible spalling effect. Just thinking that a knocked-out tank only needs one hole but a range target will have many.
not like that, plastic needs to be drilled and filled with filler and filed to look like cracked and broken steel, anyway, lots more to do until then, like these unrealistic tabs that hold the long bins on the side of the hull. Due for removal.
side tabs for removal.jpg

cut off and ready to sand smooth
side tabs cut off.jpg

next up the location holes for the missing side bins. Masking tape from underneath and some liquid filler to fill the holes.
masking tape under holes in track guards.jpg

mr surfacer, the best stuff for a job like this.
masking taped holes filled.jpg

all 12 double roadwheels will go on on six suspension units, the mold line around the circumference of the solid rubber tyres needs to go.
mold liner on wheel.jpg

is this turning into a trip down memory lane?
yes it is, but do you mean recent memory lane, a just before Christmas Chieftain build a couple of years back. (I must correct the lost images in that build thread)
cam paint side on.jpg

or do you mean more distant memories of Chieftain? like this
wulfenbuttle rail yard 87.jpg

yes it is, but do you mean recent memory lane, a just before Christmas Chieftain build a couple of years back. (I must correct the lost images in that build thread)
View attachment 525071
or do you mean more distant memories of Chieftain? like this
View attachment 525072
a bit of both.

Its funny but I'd quite merrily drop mortar bombs on hulks in my youth without a second thought, where as these days, I look at a hulk and think 'what a shame'.

You can call me sentimental............

a bit of both.

Its funny but I'd quite merrily drop mortar bombs on hulks in my youth without a second thought, where as these days, I look at a hulk and think 'what a shame'.

quite agree, but I hate the thought of mr scrap man cutting them up, or some money grabbing company letting Ginger spice get a tank driving experience. Or far worse, fat blogger with dreams of restoration leaving one to be vandalised on a crowded housing estate. If I had the ear of the PM I'd remind him of artificial reefs and the benefits to fish and sealife, and tank hulks are great to dive.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why? Obviously the short answer is because you want to and you pays your money and you makes your choices. I understand the technical difficulty and I'm sure it will look great but its a training aid. I always think they're a bit sad when I see them.

Its a bit like that big Foxtrot Oscar oil painting that used to be in the Reaction Forces Mess in Sennelager and is now in Mess at ARRC in Gloucester of Ex LIONHEART complete with MBTs, Harriers, Lyxes and DS with white tape on their helmets.

Why not make a model of a tank damaged in combat?

Daz

LE
a bit of both.

You can call me mental............
Edit for typo :)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
quite agree, but I hate the thought of mr scrap man cutting them up, or some money grabbing company letting Ginger spice get a tank driving experience. Or far worse, fat blogger with dreams of restoration leaving one to be vandalised on a crowded housing estate. If I had the ear of the PM I'd remind him of artificial reefs and the benefits to fish and sealife, and tank hulks are great to dive.
Surely that's a fish tank?

Ah my tank suit, beret and goggles. . .

4(T)

LE
a bit of both.

The ironic thing is, give it another 30 years or so, and people will be pulling the scraps off the ranges in order to restore them!

Theres that Grant(?) tank running around that looks like a colander - the hull was just a hulk riddled with cannon shells.

on the subject of shell holes, making a start using a Dremel mini drill (other makes are available) to make the holes, coating the inside of the holes with Mr surfacer, when this is dry and hardened off I can re-create the texture of broken armour with the tip of a file.
filler into forward shell holes.jpg

using the real thing for reference, you can just make out striation marks in the armour from the driving bands of the shells, something to think about reproducing in miniature.
real shell hits forward.jpg

Latest Threads