Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Chieftain tank range hulk, based on 1/35th Tamiya kit

diehard57

War Hero
Most of the above photos show the Chieftains main gun traversed over the rear decking, is there a particular reason for this? Just curious.

Boxy

GCM
Transport, that’s where the gun cradle is. Dumped in place, don’t suppose they worried to much about putting the tube over the front.
That and that was the most common position for the earlier models, with the ‘ears’ up

Daz

LE
Any reason for those particular wheels to be removed?
To show that they were to be scrapped/used as targets, they also removed the breechblocks at the same time

To show that they were to be scrapped/used as targets, they also removed the breechblocks at the same time
Cheers, assume it was a treaty as @wasteofrations2 says. Never knew that. I just thought they'd either lost the wheels or had them cannibalised if I saw them missing. I can't recall it being massively wide spread, certainly on SENTA where I did much of my LFTT.

the sponson plates sanded smooth.
sponson plates sanded down c.jpg

Might reproduce this damage as closely as I can.
View attachment 524972
thickest part of the hull
View attachment 524973
That looks like a challenge. How do you propose to do it?

Support the plastic on a sand bed and punch a hole out from the inside by striking a cork borer (maybe in a part-drilled hole)? With just the right combination of sand size, impact and temperature, you might get a reproducible spalling effect. Just thinking that a knocked-out tank only needs one hole but a range target will have many.

Daz

LE
Chieftain AND a Routemaster? That would be interesting......
Apparently, an open day excursion .......I'd love to see that advertised these days on social media :)

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Apparently, an open day excursion .......I'd love to see that advertised these days on social media :)
Imber open days - cancelled this year but definitely worth it. The vintage Routemasters are for those who don't have a 4x4:

ches

LE
Imber open days - cancelled this year but definitely worth it. The vintage Routemasters are for those who don't have a 4x4:

Similar down at Lulworth. I've driven the route from Lulworth cove up & over the ridge that then drops down past Tyneham many a time over the years. About 20 odd years ago, if the scimitars were up on the ridge on the firing points popping down into the valley, they'd stop firing whenever civvie traffic appeared. The road is not much used so the range wardens (?) would let the firing crack on until cars appeared down the road. No way that that occurs nowadays though I bet.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
This picture posted by @Daz is I think of an ex-Iranian Chieftain in Iraq:

1606730595337.png

Interestingly it seems to be next to an Archer 17pdr SP which, if correct, would have found its way to Iraq most likely via either Jordan or Egypt.

I could be wrong though!

Daz

LE

That's bookmarked for next year

Latest Threads