Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds Chieftain tank range hulk, based on 1/35th Tamiya kit

Something unusual, but decidedly part of the Chieftain history, they ended up as target hulks of different tank and anti tank ranges. The hulk will be based on the kit by Tamiya of the Mk5.
box art tamiya chieftain.jpg

although it's a destroyed tank, there is a lot of conversion work to be done, and although items like Bins, track guards/skirts will be missing, this means that parts like the sponson plates,missing in the kit, will have to be made from plastic card.
manufacture gaps in underside of hull.jpg

I have the unused PE parts left over from my last Chieftain build, all the bin clamps, handles and hinges have gone, but they would be missing on the hulk anyway.
pe left over from last time.jpg

I've considered removing one of the front track guards, but I want it to have a certain Chieftain appearance, despite the damage and salvaged parts.
track guard front.jpg

there may be some hits around this area of course.
bare hull front top.jpg

some views of internet images of hulks will help here. I'd like to go and take a few myself if I get a chance when times permit.
tank hulk a.jpg

Erm how many is that on the go now.

Daz

LE
Any Good
1 (1).jpg
1 (1).png
1 (2).jpg
1 (3).jpg

Daz

LE
1 (4).jpg
1 (5).jpg
1 (6).jpg
1 (7).jpg

Daz

LE
1 (8).jpg
1 (9).jpg
1 (10).jpg

Daz

LE
1 (12).jpg
1 (13).jpg
1 (14).jpg

quite agree some great reference images there, all relevant, cheers Daz, I had to do a double take on the first picture in your post number 5, thought it was the commanders head sticking out the hatch, time for you to retire old chap.

this all means I can seriously go to town on the weathering, rust, peeling paint, moss, shell damage... but first the basics, starting with these 1970's era details like those awful molded on tie downs.
bare kit turret.jpg

Sounds like my best effort as a kid.
we'll see, first the basic preparations involve some scratch building to simply build in the parts Tamiya left out. Creasing the paper to make the witnes marks needed to describe the shape of the missing sponson plates.
witness mark sponson templates.jpg

the plasticard plates are glued to the lower hull sides top edges, then the upper and lower hulls test fitted to check for fit of the sponson plates.
sponsons glued in.jpg

Tamiya in their wisdom have omitted a straight top edge to the lower hull top, leaving these low triangular missing pieces.
notch in lower hull sides.jpg

filled with plasticard and blended in using Mr Surfacer.
darts.jpg

the model also has no bulkhead/firewall between the engine and fighting compartment, the hull belly plates are V shaped, so a lower and upper bulkhead is made to take the complex internal shape into consideration.
bulkhead and sponson plating.jpg

Have to say, really looking forward to seeing what you do with this one

Daz

LE
Second image.

Still got the turret eyes. RTR?

Other than that, some of these hulks look familiar. Wonder if I've been uprange of them at some point.
Quite a few are at Imber Village

Daz

LE
Might be an idea, new hulks being prepped for targets, hence the missing road wheels
1 (1).jpg
1 (2).jpg
1 (3).jpg
1 (4).jpg
1 (5).jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads