ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Chieftain Talks: Irish Military Equipment

Discussion in 'Ireland (ie. Irish Defence Force)' started by Durandal1, Mar 16, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An interesting video by a bloke named Moran who's an Irish born US cavalry officer.

Some of the other videos he made for the World of Tanks YouTube channel are very good too.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Thanks, I didn't know that. I always thought California_Tanker's posts were very good.

3. Posts on irishmilitaryonline too. Always has interesting contributions.

4. Thank you :)

(I'm US-born)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. So where do you pick up the Mick accent?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Asda do a two for one, they throw in Albanian for free.

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. No charge ;)

8. Himmler74

Himmler74 On ROPs

Boston?

9. Much thanks to the OP and CT; enjoyed following that. I have more than a passing interest in the development of the Irish military from the Free State on and that certainly scratched an itch.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Come to think of it, I knew around eight people I grew up with in Ireland who were either US born or citizens through a parent. De Valera must have set a trend.
    There was a woman working in a barber shop in Crumlin who turned out, despite the broad Dublin accent, to be not only US born but not actually an Irish citizen. She kept getting puzzled questions from immigration back in the 1990s whenever she'd fly back in after a visit stateside. Obviously the authorities just couldn't compute the notion of an illegal immigrant from New York and treated her as a sort of permanent tourist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Being US born and Irish isn't the strangest thing in the world. I'm in my thirties and I know plenty of people of my generation who have or at least have an entitlement to a US passport. Often had parents who emigrated but then were able to get back home as things improved in Ireland. Sure Ronan O'Gara of rugby fame was born in San Diego.

• Like Like x 1
  12. A comma after "sure" and that would have sounded entirely Irish. ☘️

13. Rellies of my Great Grandmother came back to Donegal from Boston early in the 20th C (I think Boston possibly NY though).

14. Very interesting video that one. Thanks. Bit of an eye-opener to see just how much of the Free State's arsenal came from either the British or the Germans (via the Swedes).

• Like Like x 1