Chieftain MBT - "Smokin'"

A funny dit, I was REME attached to the QRIH around 76 ish. Left the LAD office one morning to collect the mail from RHQ and get a coffee replen for EME when I heard a Chieftain coming down the road from the tank hangars and moving damned fast, revving very high and clearly out of control.

It slewed to the left and went through the REME car park, redesigning a few cars on the way and then onto the QM's car park doing considerable damage, the trail of destruction was huge and I stood there in total shock.

The QM's staff came running out and a corporal asked me what went wrong, I said I have no idea. He looked like he was going to cry, so I said was your car on of the flat ones? He said **** the car, I had a crate of beer in the boot.
Barker Barracks?

I never found out what the cause was. But the engine was screaming louder the normal and the tank was kicking up and down as gears shifted. I only had a few seconds to observe it before it hit the car park and believe it or not a VW beetle got between the tracks and stopped it as it pushed the Beetle up a grassy hill.

Last edited:
Had several pack runaways at Ludgershall with disposal vehicles, normally procedure was switch off, bimble off to safe distance, roll a fag and watch the display...

Had more than one throw its gut through the exhaust as well, many happy hours mopping up oil spent in those asbestos built sheds...

AVTAG is nasty horrible stuff with all the bad points of diesel and petrol combined.

I should mention at this point that fuel safety is a big part of my day job.

AVTAG is a 50:50 Kero / Petrol blend with a low flashpoint (-18C). Bl**dy awful stuff thankfully not seen these days (at least I've not come across it in the past 10+ years).

Thankfully almost everything on the estate is now diesel which has a flashpoint of +56C and is a damn sight safer to store and handle!
Going back to the 70s and 80s I seem to remember that the RAF used AVTUR in Britain and AVTAG in Germany. No problem for Jags, F4s, Buccs etc, but the Harrier needed an engine re-tune in order to get the most out of the fuel. This was potentially critical when hovering.
I believe it was AVTAGs antisocial behaviour which caused it to be ditched by airlines.

and was a very good starter fuel for station bonfires.
There is the story of a station bonfire that didn't quite go according to plan. Somebody had been a bit over generous with AVTAG as a starter. Fortunately it was ignited remotely, as standing next to a bonfire as it heads for the moon would have no doubt resulted in an out of phase shreddy change.

Can I ask why?

Hadn’t somebody though that a fuel bowser would be quicker and less labour intesnive?
One of the NATO rules about fuel from CEPS was that it was a NATO asset if pumped directly from CEPS. If it was in Jerry cans (even if filled from CEPS) it then became a National asset. So the tactical fuel dumps made with the big plastic bags - when filled from CEPS were still a NATO asset and could be redeplyed to another army. If it was in Jerry cans, UBRE or I think the smaller bowsers it was then a British asset and couldn't be nicked.

I'm sure an RAOC Pet OP will be able to fill the blanks.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was attached to RA twice, in Catterick and NI with 25 and 4 Lt regt's. Was it 45 medium regt next door in Barker at this time?
I thought 25 Field shared Barker between 77-82. 39 Field down the road at Dempsey.

I thought 25 Field shared Barker between 77-82. 39 Field down the road at Dempsey.
You may be correct, the years have melted together in my old brain but I was with the QRIH for the Queens Silver Jubilee whatever year that was and there was an Arty unit next door in Barker at that time.

You may be correct, the years have melted together in my old brain but I was with the QRIH for the Queens Silver Jubilee whatever year that was and there was an Arty unit next door in Barker at that time.
yes mate, 45 Medium ... have a good friend who was one of the Tiffies at QRIH

One of the NATO rules about fuel from CEPS was that it was a NATO asset if pumped directly from CEPS. If it was in Jerry cans (even if filled from CEPS) it then became a National asset. So the tactical fuel dumps made with the big plastic bags - when filled from CEPS were still a NATO asset and could be redeplyed to another army. If it was in Jerry cans, UBRE or I think the smaller bowsers it was then a British asset and couldn't be nicked.

I'm sure an RAOC Pet OP will be able to fill the blanks.
I have done execises many moons ago with Bulk Fuel Installations getting fuel from CEPS through constructed pipelines connected to it. Its NATO fuel as such but doesnt necessarily mean the BFI then becomes a NATO asset. But in essence all the exercises we did were towards NATO future possible Ops so the BFI would support it. Now the fuel in CEPS majority ends up in civilian airports to be used with the proviso that the mil (NATO) can use it (CEPS) as and when. I used to work for the NATO Agency that managed it but its military use is limited now compared to 70's and the 80's during the bigger BAOR exercises.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Correct. I arrived at Alanbrook in October 77. QRIH were in Barker, but 3RTR quickly followed us around the Arms Plot again (Fally to 74, Tidworth 76, Barker probably early 78 ).

I have done execises many moons ago with Bulk Fuel Installations getting fuel from CEPS through constructed pipelines connected to it. Its NATO fuel as such but doesnt necessarily mean the BFI then becomes a NATO asset. But in essence all the exercises we did were towards NATO future possible Ops so the BFI would support it. Now the fuel in CEPS majority ends up in civilian airports to be used with the proviso that the mil (NATO) can use it (CEPS) as and when. I used to work for the NATO Agency that managed it but its military use is limited now compared to 70's and the 80's during the bigger BAOR exercises.
I remember packed fuel coming in by rail from either Niemburg or (i think) Viersen.. I was in 1 Complete Surprise at the time (also in Barker Barracks). I think we had rotary cows in the crash out stores, but we never ran them.

Correct. I arrived at Alanbrook in October 77. QRIH were in Barker, but 3RTR quickly followed us around the Arms Plot again (Fally to 74, Tidworth 76, Barker probably early 78 ).
Believe it or not I was REME attached to 9/12 L and later 3 RTR in Muenster. 76? oh boy that was a hot summer and I was attached to 655 Sqn AAC in detmold.

By the time i was at Barker (5 Ord) complete with Chieftains (failing to keep up with the Stollys) trying to get up the hill outside the Barracks to the Goldrung Trg Area around 89-90, the Rotary Cows were long gone.

..you must have followed 3 R ANGLIAN into Alanbrook?

Latest Threads