Chieftain MBT - "Smokin'"

This Forum started about Chieftains and breakdowns.

There have been many REME wallahs on here. I left the Army (Tankie) with a very positive view of the guys from the LAD. We always felt that the LAD were actually an integral part of the 3rd Tanks and were as much a part of our Squadron as any other member. No doubt the other Tankies and Cav (could've said Donkey W××××××s lol) on here have the same perspective of their LAD. I never felt any inter-Corps rivalry from or to our REME. So...well done guys, and thanks for the hard work and comradeship
When 2RTR took over from 13/18H in Muenster, the CO paraded the whole Regiment on the Square and proceeded to tell everyone, no matter what their Cap Badge, RTR, REME, RAPC, ACC, (US) Armored, (Canadian) Lord Strathcona's Horse, (the last two being officers on attachment) that we were all part of the Regiment and should refer to ourselves as Tankies. As Fire-Lighter stated, we were completely integrated with whatever Squadron we were attached to.

This became apparent during my time when I was in the main LAD (part of NERO), a Fitter Troop in a Sabre Squadron (CYCLOPS) and a Fitter Troop in the Command and Support Squadron (HUNTSMAN), the latter being my particular favourite.

There have been many REME wallahs on here. I left the Army (Tankie) with a very positive view of the guys from the LAD. We always felt that the LAD were actually an integral part of the 3rd Tanks and were as much a part of our Squadron as any other member. No doubt the other Tankies and Cav (could've said Donkey W××××××s lol) on here have the same perspective of their LAD. I never felt any inter-Corps rivalry from or to our REME. So...well done guys, and thanks for the hard work and comradeship
My own experience of REME was mixed.
For example,our LAD at Tidworth were tossers. At Warminster,the complete opposite. Great set of lads(and girls),helpful and didn't look down their noses at us thick grunts.The odd knobber,but the majority were sound.Even the Tiffy was a good bloke.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Like I said,I always thought this story was a myth.I am glad to be proven wrong.I doff my cap to Tpr.P*****r.
The "urban myth" about the squaddie who nicked a Stalwart rankles with the cavalry almost as much as the witty, edgy, never ever in history heard before deliberate failure to understand that guardsmen don't wear busbies on ceremonial duty and hussars don't wear bearskins. And the Royal Horse Artillery are hussar wannabes.

You know how squaddies' deviation works. We had a Pay Corps lad straight out of Worthy Down. His name was Gallagher, so he was known as Jim after the recent Prime Minister of a different name.

We had a lad called HESH because someone else with the same surname once had an accident with a HESH round.

Robin ➡ Rob ➡ Bob would be my guess. But I wasn't in his regiment or time, so I am not the expert.
In the nick he was Rob, also with us was "Dick" Barton, RIP. We too had a Callaghan, who was obviously Galloncan..

From my experience, the LAD, especially the single lads and junior ranks were absolutely 100% part of the Sqn. A fantastic bunch of lads who got stuck in the ethos of the regiment, and defended it robustly, to the other regiments on camp.

Any ******* posted in usually changed to become part of the team, or found themselves moved up in the main workshop away from the close knit squadron life.

I reckon that there must be a different mindset or attachment attitude for A Mechs & Gunfighters, as they seemed a world apart form the B Mechs. Anyone else find that?

LAD liked to be a part of whoever it was they were attached to. RAC I had time with were 3RTR and 4RTR. In many ways those days were better than the ones I spent at REME Workshop, and a major part of why they were better was how RTR bods made us a part of the team. Same for other (not RAC) that I did time with

From my experience, the LAD, especially the single lads and junior ranks were absolutely 100% part of the Sqn. A fantastic bunch of lads who got stuck in the ethos of the regiment, and defended it robustly, to the other regiments on camp.

Any ******* posted in usually changed to become part of the team, or found themselves moved up in the main workshop away from the close knit squadron life.

I reckon that there must be a different mindset or attachment attitude for A Mechs & Gunfighters, as they seemed a world apart form the B Mechs. Anyone else find that?
SQN fitters sections and those in them (including me) tended to stick with the Sqn. but of course some roles/trades were main LAD only.

It was the Sqn we mostly bonded with, (whether work, Sqn bar, out on the town) and they were most happy that were were a part of team. You saw other fitter sections and main LAD much less and that felt just fine.

Latest Threads