Chieftain mantlet

Discussion in 'RAC' started by AlienFTM, May 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I was sat taking a shovel recce. The mind wandered back to range days and the dulcet tones of nearby Chieftains: bopbopbop ... bopbopbop ... bopbopbop ... BANG! I thought about how they replaced the Chieftain Five Oh RG with a laser rangefinder.

The question formed: did they have to replace the mantlet or did the rangefinder fit within the RG housing?
  2. The rangefinder (TLS No 2 Mk 1) replaced the Gunner's sight.

The .50 was removed, much to the chagrin of the RAC, and the hole was filled with Polyfilla. Some additional weight had to be added to ensure that the main armament remained in balance.

EMER Tkd VEH c207 Mod Instr No 129 will tell you all you need to know...

but not necessarily about the introduction of the Tank Laser Sight...

3. AlienFTM

A perfectly adequate answer. Thank you. I'll sleep better at night knowing that.

4. I was led to believe that Chieftain did not have a "mantlet" as such, so the answer your question Alien is no.

Litotes has however given you a far more instructive answer as to how the deed was done, though I am sure that a "Gunnery God" or two could give you far more information should feel the need.
  5. Correct, though it still get referred to as a mantlet it isnt really
    File:Chieftain tank, turret and mantlet.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  6. AlienFTM

I was aware that Chieftain did not have an external mantlet. Whether what served as an internal mantlet is defined as a mantlet or not, it's a de facto internal mantlet. A quick google shows enough examples on either side of the argument from reputable sources to assure me that my use of the term mantlet is not heretical. Your point is duly noted.
  7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Bit off topic but were there any reports of how the Chieftan did in the Iran Iraq war?
  8. From the horse's mouth; Iran Heritage

Overmatched by T62 fin rounds;
  9. Enter stage left..............'Stillbrew'!
  10. Yeah, the MOD or whoever must have shat themselves when this came out; Stillbrew fairly hurtled into service. I saw Stillbrew turret armour being fitted and was a tad confused at the choice of chunks of steel sitting on 6 rubber sheets? Even the Iraqis had developed a form of bulging NERA for their T55 and we went for this odd arrangement. I think in retrospect the steel was probably HHS, which is a bugger to weld and they went for this option rather than just bolting flat plates on like wot the Chinese do.
  11. Back on topic; the not-very-bunged-up hole for the 50cal,
  12. Slack loader, no Coax feed tray. :)
  13. Also no feed pawl depressor on the gat and the field clino plane is rusty; think it's a museum vehicle....or somebody suicidally slack!