Chieftain flange

Discussion in 'RAC' started by ObnoxiousJockGit, Dec 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Someone over at Tanknet asked the purpose of this raised chunk of metal. Despite tripping over the thing for 11 years I don't think I was ever told it's function. I reckon it's a structural stiffener for the turret roof, anyone know?
  2. Snigger. You said "flange."
    • Like Like x 6
  3. sigh...there's always one isn't there...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Well if he hadn't I would have.
  5. I reckon you're probably right Jock, it braces up that weak bit between the hatches. You weren't in the traz with 4RTR were you?
  6. Another case of fitted for but not with. Attachment point for Thule roof box.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Probably part of the swim kit that some of them had the tube attached there?

Just an idea, I wouldn't think it a stiffener have you seen the thickness of the turrent

8. Those things that have a cube shaped bit stuck on a cylinder...'s to protect them from stray bullets.

The one at the front looks a bit vulnerable, but it's probably a decoy.

Anyway, it looks more like a rib than a flange.
  9. Looks more like protection for the periscope wiper motors, a channel to flow all the mud/crap/water/boots away
  10. I think its a flood defence system to prevent water from the over efficient periscope washer system flooding in through the Loader's hatch!
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

It's the overhead underhang. It's there to prevent an upload downshift in the lateral stabilisers.
  12. It.s why I came to the thread...
  13. I'm sure it is to stop the cross beam going askew on the treadle...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yup!