Chieftain flange

Someone over at Tanknet asked the purpose of this raised chunk of metal. Despite tripping over the thing for 11 years I don't think I was ever told it's function. I reckon it's a structural stiffener for the turret roof, anyone know?

Another case of fitted for but not with. Attachment point for Thule roof box.

Probably part of the swim kit that some of them had the tube attached there?

Just an idea, I wouldn't think it a stiffener have you seen the thickness of the turrent

ExREME VMA

Those things that have a cube shaped bit stuck on a cylinder... ...it's to protect them from stray bullets.

The one at the front looks a bit vulnerable, but it's probably a decoy.

Anyway, it looks more like a rib than a flange.

Looks more like protection for the periscope wiper motors, a channel to flow all the mud/crap/water/boots away

I think its a flood defence system to prevent water from the over efficient periscope washer system flooding in through the Loader's hatch!

I'm sure it is to stop the cross beam going askew on the treadle...

Rodney2q

Probably part of the swim kit that some of them had the tube attached there?

Just an idea, I wouldn't think it a stiffener have you seen the thickness of the turrent

ExREME VMA
You could be onto something there, unfortunately we all ran and hid when one troop got volunteered to swim with the Germans, so I've never seen the gear.

It's a ballistic baffle, there to protect the cupola mount from low trajectory rounds. The cupola looks exposed at the front, but the commanders sight cowl and mantlet provide protection there.

Go on, say it again....Flaaaaannnge!

It's a place to secure a one pint mug of hot sweet char and prevent damage to said mug by hostile small arms fire.

It might be the armoured version of a 'go faster' stripe. Check if the Cmndr and Ldr's names are on the sunstrip.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
StumpyHussar RAC 6
commander RAC 2
commander RAC 47