Chieftain final drives

Discussion in 'RAC' started by commander, Sep 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have in their photo collection a good shot of Chieftain final drive with the hub removed? I need this to clear up a small point in the 1/6 model I am building.. All my shots show every other bloody bit but not that, in fact only ever saw the hub come off once so I am keeping fingers crossed.
  2. Just changed one.............forgot the
  3. There are still Chieftain AVLB and AVRE out there. So if someone hasn't got a photo, there's a chance that someone could get one..... just a question of when ?? :?

Edited 'cos I can't spell Chieftain apparently :roll:
  4. what do you need to know? ill certainly help if i can!
  5. Thanks army surplus, what i need to find out is the drawing shows (not very clearly that the outer face of the assy was not flat but has a lip where the drive sft comes out, this is suspect is part of the dust sealing for the bearings. Once spent ages chaning one of these but it did not flick my switch to take photographs then. Any help much appreciated.
  6. Contact the Workshop/LAD of one the Armd Engr Regts, they've all got Chieftains. There are 89 of the still in service, so a good proportion of them are likely to be decorating the Wksp in component form at any time.

Plant Pilot, you got any? Could you PM him your ASM's number?
  7. Or try ATSA/MSG/SEFIT or whatever they're calling themselves this week. PM me and I'll give you some contact details.
  8. Sorry no, we've only got modern kit in our regiment, you know 1980s+. And no big armour so youl need one of the Bde Support Regiments as there are just Armd Engr Sqns part of them now, no Armd Engr Regts anymore.
  9. do u mean a lip on the final drive where the sprocket carrier bolts on? im not entirely sure i know where u mean at the mo, if you ring this number im sure you will get the anwer you require. its bovvy tank museum number. (+44) (0)1929 405096
  10. Army surplus thanks for the reply no the face I mean is the outer face that is next to the sprocket hub. Same face as the access for the quill shaft cap. I will not waste my time calling Bovy as they have absouletly nothing there of any use (I know as I poured through it for my Chieftain book)
  11. Probably no use whatsoever but I did try;
    Images from Prime Portal.
  12. Your help is mich appreciated, seems that the Regiment can actually help one of the Old comrades thinks he has one.
  13. I will check my pile of old precis and folders etc and let you know
  14. Commander

Spent 16 years fixing Chiefies at both RAC and Armd Engr units, have a fairly good knowledge of beast. I'm not sure which bit you are on about. The quill shaft end cap on a Chieftain is on the final drive casing itself well away from the hub assy. I think you may be getting mixed up with a CR1 quill shaft end cap which is located in the end of the hub.

The hub slides over the final drive output shaft which is part of the final drive assembly. This in turn is secured by a huge splined "mushroom" that locates inside the final drive output and bolts onto the hub, hence securing it all together. There is no lip or dust seal. Chieftain was never designed to go fast enough to generate dust!!!! Seriousely, the way the thing was designed meant that when assembled no working parts were exposed to the elements

An easy job to strip and re-assemble if you have arms like Charles Atlas made even easier if you happen to have a crane to hand. Have changed or stripped down lots of final drives over the years, but not in at least 7 years.

I hope the info is of use to you, would be happy to answer any other questions on the old beastie.
  15. Hi Tiffy

No its not the quill shft or its end cap (and bloody grub screw) it is the actual main casing were the actual shaft for the hum comes out. The drawing shows a raised lip whic I feel is a dust cover as the hub is pushed along the shaft and located it marries up with this plate. This is similar to the plate found on the idler wheel axle. This lip is very prominent in the works drawing, just thta I can not recall it