Chieftain Drivers Cab

Batteries should be them 'orrible black ones

Batteries should be them 'orrible black ones
So true, never seen grey just ruins the artistic balance of the whole experiance... and the sweat of taking the fooking things out. We had a big U bar with hooks on the end to do the job. I was told it was an RH invention but expect there might be some lesser fractional cavalry reg that will try and take the glory :)

I used to work on AVRE's and AVLAB's and I had a similar hooky thingy made for me by the metalsmith(REME see?) as when I first joined I was a VE. Them black batts cost me several sets of kit because of acid spilliage.

Where'sthe CD player?
Know-nothing twat, the music(cassette type first generation boogie boxes)was provided from the op/loaders position or, in my case the commanders.

Are the cylindrical containers on each side for smoke launcher cartridges? Seems an odd place to keep them. Why is there no anti-spall fabric on the inside of the hull? I thought that was common to this vintage of armour..... :?

Are the cylindrical containers on each side for smoke launcher cartridges? Seems an odd place to keep them. Why is there no anti-spall fabric on the inside of the hull? I thought that was common to this vintage of armour..... :?
Main armament projectile stowage

There is - it's the flesh(ish) coloured stuff

thanks for the comments, i did most of the work restoring the cab, unfortunately a lot of the material you need to keep it authentic is not easy to get in civi street. If you look at Turrets and Tracks web site [URL="http://www.turretsandtracks.co.uk/? you can see the tank as it was after release from the MOD, it took about three years work in the evernings after work twice a week with four lads that had never served on Chieftain or even been in the mob (it was like a three year D&M course). the most difficult part was to refit the search light as the turret had been gas axed and all the fittings removed, we remade all the track guards and tin the work was taken from a AVLB Target tank on the ranges at lulworth modified and refiffed, the project is still not finished as we have the turret to do, but found some interesting stuff in the strip out, the charge bins still had AL3 in them, don't know if that was the right stuff but it took me back to the mid 70's.

Turrets and Tracks in Norfolk is a private collection of ex army kit from the cold war era run by a bunch of keen lads
they put a lot of time and effort in the hope that one day they may have a full blown museum.

at the moment the project is on hold as i am working abroad i hope to pick it up again in a couple of years time when i get back

Befeater

Why is there no anti-spall fabric on the inside of the hull? I thought that was common to this vintage of armour..... :?
you cant get hold of the stuff, i couldn't even get a copy made by the people that trim classic cars, unless you have a roll ferrite away somewhere.

the battery's, black ones are hard to come by, so we used Gray ones sorry
No need to apologise! It's a brilliant job, I was just being critical. Grey 'uns are much more reliable-which is why you probably cant get the black ones any more. If you got in touch with the SPTA warden-he might let you rob a bit of anti spall stuff out of the hard targets on Salisbury......maybe...
You'd have to cut it to size. I don't think they've got any chiefies. Just loads of Four Threes

Would that be for "reserve" ammunition then? Seems a bit out of the way.....
Yes it is a bit out the way but it is not reserve ammunition as such. It is not "ready" ammunition. The driver would be expected to pass it through to the turret when the ammunition was re-stowed. It was often said the tank was designed and built only to have someone say "Where do we put the ammo then?" Have a look inside one if you ever get the chance, it is literally all over the place.

StumpyHussar has done a good job.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
StumpyHussar RAC 6
commander RAC 2
commander RAC 47