Chieftain, ....almost the end of an era

i was asked to copy my Topic from the sappers section to here, as some of the older ones will remember these ......good ol Girls, albeit not in this Guise.........

the original topic can be found here......

Chieftain in Sappers link

Seeing as most of the chieftains are now parked up...retired, and more than likely destined for a life as targets on the ranges, i thought id add a few recent pics that ive taken...Recently i was up at Ashchurch obtaining some well needed spares for the 4x remaining vehicles in service, 2x AVRE and 2x AVLB

Few Pics of the retired vehicles at Depot awaiting Disposal

i thought for those that have spent a many a sleepless night doing pack lifts may have some good ol pics to post

Tommorow on the Firepower Demonstration at Warminster, i will be doing the last Python shoot (trg) done with the AVRE,.......its last possible fascine drop was done on Wednesday!

AVRE 01EB21 on its penultimate Python Shoot (Today 10/10/07)

the 4 chieftains left @ warminster are due to be retired in the new year

Now there won't be a dry eye in the place when those last dinosaurs are put out grass, lots of hard work & sheer determination (not to mention green string, D10 & harry black maskers) to keep those old swines on the road.

Enough of the sentiment, get them down the right end of the range & fill them full of holes.

Nobby

How many thousands of gallons of oil, lie under the soil in Germany and England, will in the future Esso think they have found a gold mine, was the Chieftan thinking of preserving the future, by depositing oil at the drop of the hat.

Ive seen new seals fitted and bloody oil leaking straightaway, causing fitters to throw tools at the tank and kick it.

great wonderfull machines,, luckily there are more than a few in private hands to keep old tankies happy in years to come..
first thing i ever drove was a cheiftain...
first road accident....cheiftain....
great times......

RIP machines of war. You have served us well, beyond your time.

Enjoyed supporting you, recovering you, fixing you and towing you
(Although a little too often towards the end)

Farewell my friend

Drove one once. Just round the hardstanding in low gear. AWESOME! would have loved to take one cross country.

EX_STAB said:
Drove one once. Just round the hardstanding in low gear. AWESOME! would have loved to take one cross country.

So would most of the tankies in Canada...but most never got of the dust bowl.....

WTF is the vehicle in the middle? (i.e to the right of the second pillar from the left.

It looks familiar but I just can't place it. Seems an odd chassis. The 1-2-2-1 road wheel arrangement suggests challenger but it doesn't seem right for some reason I can't decide on.....
Perhaps the perspective is fooling me as to the size and it's a WR based thing!

Hi all
We are a military Veh club (IMVG.org) and we have two chieftains,one was in the film "Rain of fire" and the other was one of three chieftains used in the Bond film "Golden eye " No 64 . The problem is the turret will not power traverse,all that happens when you try is that the main gun goes to full depression.....am stumped or stupid? any tips, :(

wheelnut said:
Hi all
We are a military Veh club (IMVG.org) and we have two chieftains,one was in the film "Rain of fire" and the other was one of three chieftains used in the Bond film "Golden eye " No 64 . The problem is the turret will not power traverse,all that happens when you try is that the main gun goes to full depression.....am stumped or stupid? any tips, :(
Try posting this in the REME forum, might get some help from some older members in there.

The_Incredible_Hulk said:
A couple of pictures I took back in 2004 when we were loading loads of bits on to boats bound for Jordan :(

Ah memories, i took most of the gearboxes out of the AVLB's and AVRE's so i could get the ARRV's running for Jordan!

tiffyshackles said:

Farewell my friend
Knob....

Grinner said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHB641r0ydY&mode=related&search=Chieftain%20chieftain%20Kapellen%20tank

I was listening to the sound of this earlier today :oops:

Nice to see that Bridge is leaving just one more pool of oil though :D
I seem to remember our fitter section getting through loads of Arladite AS WELL!!

Did you know that the first regiment to convert to Chieftain tanks was also the last regiment to convert to Chieftain tanks?

11th Hussars was the first to have Chieftain, 10th Hussars had Centurion, when they amalgamated in 1969 to form The Royal Hussars the new regiment was equipped with Centurions not Chieftain and were the the last regiment to be equipped with cent's.

I'm sure there was a logical reason!!

Rarden_reaper said:
tiffyshackles said:

Farewell my friend
Knob....
You see, thats the difference between REME and (some of) you guys. We look back at all the times we were able to bodge it and keep it going. All the times that we outwitted the gremlins that lived in the L60, the feeling of satisfaction as 'our' tanks drove (gun front) past another squadron whose tanks were awaiting recovery. Completing whacky races (before it got sanitized) in BATUS to get our tanks back through the washdowns first. I alternately loved and loathed Cheify, but admit that it brought a lump to my throat to see them parked out on the prarie as targets. Yep, I know its stupid.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G_O_D_is_Armoured Sappers 48
commander RAC 2
commander RAC 47