Chieftain accidents

Pteranadon

LE
Book Reviewer
I was there when he took his Regiment through the alleged fields of asparagus. Superb officer, by all accounts. Following a reduction in LOA/exhange rate, he drafted a template for his lads to use to complain to their MPs.

On Ex you'd hear him on the 'net , in the voice of Garth on steroids "all c/s, this is Sunray. move to Grid AB123456..... BATCO?.... I don't give a **** about BATCO!" "Get those small c/s out of my way..." then at night they'd be a huge banging on the back door - a midget with a bottle of something nice "Engrs? Good blokes - have a drink".
I remember the asparagus incident well. It was in the pre-BATUS training exercise at SLTA. He was disciplined for drinking on an RAF aircraft - on the way back from BATUS. His real crime was to give an interview to a Sunday tabloid over the LOA reductions announced by the BBC. The words that damned him were "If I was CGS I would resign."

I recall the 17/21L battlegroup as having a very slick and secure radio procedure. There was a battlegroup orders card with two numbers standing in for a standard line of orders. All transmitted in crapco in about one minute flat you had a comprehensive set of orders for a battlegroup attack. All you would hear was "Settings 4D - LF - CM...Any Questions" They could mount a BG attack in about 45 mins and Company Squadron groups in 20 mins. He had a good recce troop leader - James Everard.

Last edited:
55 ton of tank ends up in a river, that must take one hell of a recovery 'thing' to get it out !!
Do remember a certain SSC Troop leader in the Blues sinking a Chieftain back in 79 in Sennelager. Not sure his private income would cover that woopsy!

OK, hopefully someone on here can help with some research I am doing. Does anyone remember or have experience of any fires, explosions or accidents in Chieftain? I have heard of a double fatal in 1962 but cannot find anything relating to it or other accidents.
Chieftain AVRE at a demo, 1987 I think, dropping a facsine into a ditch. A certain officer called Pinel wanted to get close to have look, and was about 50 m off to one side when the comd hit the blow-out pin button to release the fascine. The 2kg steel pin travelled about 50m at some velocity & hit Pinel in the head, causing a large dent in his skull which nearly killed him. After that he was known as "Pin-in, Pin-out, Pinel."

if that was the one in 1987 , it was a red legs officer that shot the 432 , how would I know , had arrived a while after the incident, for summer increment working in pack section ,and had to do the damage report on the power pack, back of the 432...It was filled with feathers , looked like a massacre in a chicken shed all the sleeping bags left in the wagon were shredded

this one you mention may have been a different "accident" though

Anyhoo!, (that's Canadian eh!((pronounced ay, but you already knew that didn't you ?eh!)), It fecked the pack , and if I remember correctly it was in the region of £84K, and I got no pleasure sending the report to the Redlegs with my name on it, I'd recently moved on from them to 5 Heavy Drop shorts .... well , not a lot of pleasure.... well maybe just a little pleasure
I remember that, it was Med Man 7 in 1987. I think it was an Engr Fd Tp 432. Also on that Med Man a chieftain ran over the back of Safety 2A's FSC in the dark, made a hell of a mess of it but the 2 crew got out OK.

ROMFT

Clanker
Random tank story i heard in Budapest, don't know if it's true.
After communism finally totally disappeared, some farmer rolled a Russian tank (don't know what sort) out off a barn & put it up for sale.
Seems that some years previously during a Red Army exercise the tank's crew had traded it to him in exchange for several bottles of Palinka, the local fire water.

OK, hopefully someone on here can help with some research I am doing. Does anyone remember or have experience of any fires, explosions or accidents in Chieftain? I have heard of a double fatal in 1962 but cannot find anything relating to it or other accidents.
Another one from 32 Arm Engr Regt. A new Tp Cpmd (not me!) decides to take his troop out for a run around the Panzer-ringstrasse, the military ring road around Munsterlager. Cold day, the SSM advised him against it as there was a lot of black ice. He went anyway. A Chieftain AVLB lost it on the ice on top of a long embankment leading up to bridge over the Bundesstrasse. Went through the armco like it was wet paper, down the side of the bank smashing all the big trees down. It ended up turned turtle at the bottom, the weight of the tank on top of the No. 8 bridge. Crew was OK but 1000 litres of diesel was leaked into a Wasserschutzgebiet...

Another one from 32 Arm Engr Regt. A new Tp Cpmd (not me!) decides to take his troop out for a run around the Panzer-ringstrasse, the military ring road around Munsterlager. Cold day, the SSM advised him against it as there was a lot of black ice. He went anyway. A Chieftain AVLB lost it on the ice on top of a long embankment leading up to bridge over the Bundesstrasse. Went through the armco like it was wet paper, down the side of the bank smashing all the big trees down. It ended up turned turtle at the bottom, the weight of the tank on top of the No. 8 bridge. Crew was OK but 1000 litres of diesel was leaked into a Wasserschutzgebiet...
Was there a whiff of sulphur and a hint of purple smoke?

I heard of an infantry fatality, late 80s, involving a Chieftain AVRE.
Approaching a ditch, the AVRE fired the explosive bolts to drop a pipe fascine.
One of these bolts hit a nearby infantryman in the head.
It was a sapper officer, not a infantryman. He actually survived after several operations to repair the huge dent in his head. I was there at the time. Apparently he's not been "right in the head" since.

It was a sapper officer, not a infantryman. He actually survived after several operations to repair the huge dent in his head. I was there at the time. Apparently he's not been "right in the head" since.
That makes two of us who were there at the time, if we are not careful this might be like the balcony and become a bit crowded:)..

Sapper officers are ‘mad, married or Methodist’...

I’m not Methodist...:)

That makes two of us who were there at the time, if we are not careful this might be like the balcony and become a bit crowded:)..
I wasn't; if that helps?!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Random tank story i heard in Budapest, don't know if it's true.
After communism finally totally disappeared, some farmer rolled a Russian tank (don't know what sort) out off a barn & put it up for sale.
Seems that some years previously during a Red Army exercise the tank's crew had traded it to him in exchange for several bottles of Palinka, the local fire water.
That deffo sounds like Wolf story- even the Russians kept tabs on their tanks

ROMFT

Clanker
I can just hear it.......
Ah Sgt naffovitch, where is Tenk 62
ah, that’s a bit of a story comrade Captain
I’m waiting......
Broke down, somewhere over there, 2 days walk away, where exactly.... Eh not sure, the locals didn't seem very friendly so we didn't hang around.
Some of the stories of incompetence, alcoholism & general not-give-a-**** ism from the Red Army can be quite astounding.

Another story with tanks, how true, I cannot say, A squadron of tanks parks up a few hundred yard from a forest pub, The lads walk in, and are immediately told to fcukensee off by the boxhead gaffer, who has a reputation of hating the British military. The Sqn commander tries to be nice, and promises that his lads will behave like gentleman (?) no noise, no fuss, the gaffer says nein, big time, he will not have filthy Britishers in his pub.

A low rumble is heard, and then a voice, advising all to evacuate immediately, the sharp end of the main armament comes crashing through the pubs window, followed by a blank round, which blasts out all the windows, doors, and totally wrecks the bar, and does extensive damage to the medieval beer hall. True? who knows,... again I heard this story about 40 years ago.
I heard the same story when I was in Wolfenbuttel in 1975, the tank was apparently a Cent. I thought it was a bit too good to be true then, but the old sweats who told it insisted it was.

And I had to buy my own f,ing bog roll for the slight exercise luxury of "comfy bum".

Latest Threads