Chieftain accidents

Dryclad91

War Hero

I still hope that the "Chintz Monstrosity" does not rear it`s ugly head...…...….........:blush:

Hope you and yours are all well.
If I had a copy of the Chintz I would not publish it anywhere I would feel honour bound to pass it into your safekeeping as an attempt to bribe you into silence as you know far too much about me for safety.

Mrs 06 and family all well.
[/QUOTE]

Deal.........…...……......:thumright:

I’ve asked and his Surname was Price . It seems he was in the Turret trying to correct Gun Creep on a reclusive gun pack.
He leaned over the Breach to adjust something and the Barrel dropped trapping him. He passed away in the local German Hospital.
Hes buried at the Rheindalen Cemetery. RIP Trooper.

Lest We Forget.
24394781 Tpr Derek Edwin Price 3 RTR
Died 25 Aug 1979, aged 18

I was on SMC then - and only a month older.

RIP

Mr_Baiter

War Hero
I was just a buckshee Captain but before ex lionheart I had a major bust up with the Ops Officer (who you will also remember I am sure). He was 100% in the wrong and everyone knew it, but things were left hanging.

Imagine my surprise then when Reggie rocked up at my CP, in brogues, cords and a combat jacked, bummed a cup of tea, plonked himself down in a folding chair and proceeded to apologise for the behavior of his man.

I still consider him to be one of the last of a breed now, sadly, gone.
Saw him last year at a re-union. Hasn't changed much at all. His nephew (still serving) was also there - both in good health and both are great company.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Slight thread drift, what's the difference between prac APDS and. 'real' APDS?

Edit to add photo and add 'is there a difference in the composition of the round?'APDSPrac.jpg

Last edited:
As a certain Tp Ldr in the QOH found out when he fired at an abandoned 432 in BATUS, went straight through the LHS just behind the engine compartment.

Naughty boy as it had been marked with a light, was outside of his arcs, had been shown it’s location in daylight, was firing from a pre recced position and illum was being used.

I have a photo of the aftermath somewhere, may even have posted it on a thread a few years ago.

As a certain Tp Ldr in the QOH found out when he fired at an abandoned 432 in BATUS, went straight through the LHS just behind the engine compartment.

Naughty boy as it had been marked with a light, was outside of his arcs, had been shown it’s location in daylight, was firing from a pre recced position and illum was being used.

I have a photo of the aftermath somewhere, may even have posted it on a thread a few years ago.
Ah, you weren’t on our Med Man in 1980 when a (then brand new) CET broke down one evening.
A quick glance at the map in the BG Ops Room showed it was on a prominent feature, smack on the centre line of the next morning’s BG advance.
The Sappers were asked to wrap the vehicle in mine tape as an identifier : they didn’t have any.
I contacted Range Control, explained the situation, and a helo was warned off to fly up at dawn with dayglo panels.
The next day, having confirmed the helo task had been completed, a number of us sat in our Ops Room to monitor the advance.
Just as they swung into view of the disabled CET, there was a squawk on the green talking box from ‘Kojak’, BATUS Cdr, former CO of QRIH in PB: ‘Who fired on that vehicle, clearly marked and briefed as a non-target?’
Another little voice came on and said ‘I think it was 0A’.
Fair play, it had been a 1st round hit.
‘0A, switch to other means’, was the next call from Kojak.

Ah, you weren’t on our Med Man in 1980 when a (then brand new) CET broke down one evening.
A quick glance at the map in the BG Ops Room showed it was on a prominent feature, smack on the centre line of the next morning’s BG advance.
The Sappers were asked to wrap the vehicle in mine tape as an identifier : they didn’t have any.
I contacted Range Control, explained the situation, and a helo was warned off to fly up at dawn with dayglo panels.
The next day, having confirmed the helo task had been completed, a number of us sat in our Ops Room to monitor the advance.
Just as they swung into view of the disabled CET, there was a squawk on the green talking box from ‘Kojak’, BATUS Cdr, former CO of QRIH in PB: ‘Who fired on that vehicle, clearly marked and briefed as a non-target?’
Another little voice came on and said ‘I think it was 0A’.
Fair play, it had been a 1st round hit.
‘0A, switch to other means’, was the next call from Kojak.
If it was the Med Man of the silver Cent I was there, was that also the one where the Sappers managed to have an air burst Giant Viper?

I was a Chieftain gunner in BATUS when we were forced to abandon our wagon due to blown pack that couldn't be changed in the time available prior to next day's firing, so it was left in the following day's template. Which was nice for us, the crew, because we got the EME's LR back to Crowfoot for a nice porcelainer, shower, night in a bed and fresh scran.

When we got back to it the next evening it had been brassed up by every c/s in the exercise, thankfully it wasn't an armoured template. Our commander, the troop leader, had elected to leave his cherished 'valise' on the wagon, with his sleeping bag inside, because they have bedding in the Mess at Crowfoot. Well, he jumped up and opened up the commander's bin only to be covered in feathers and bits of 7.62 from his destroyed sleeping bag. :D Every bin had holes in it but, remarkably, they hadn't hit a single optic nor the compo.

Nobody felt sorry for him.

if that was the one in 1987 , it was a red legs officer that shot the 432 , how would I know , had just arrived a while after the incident, for summer increment working in pack section ,and had to do the damage report on the power pack, back of the 432...It was filled with feathers , looked like a massacre in a chicken shed all the sleeping bags left in the wagon were shredded

this one you mention may have been a different "accident" though

Anyhoo!, (that's Canadian eh!((pronounced ay, but you already knew that didn't you ?eh!)), It fecked the pack , and if I remember correctly it was in the region of £84K, and I got no pleasure sending the report to the Redlegs with my name on it, I'd recently moved on from them to 5 Heavy Drop shorts .... well , not a lot of pleasure.... well maybe just a little pleasure

Latest Threads