Chieftain accidents

TaffJ

War Hero
It would have been the early to mid 80s in BAOR and we were doing Site Guard somewhere near Paderborn (can't recall the exact location, tried to wipe the week from my memory)

On one of the down periods we had a trip to the local RTR for a bit of a change from our 432s.

A tankie full screw showed us around and pointed out a Chieftain and said that the previous week, one of the tankies got in it for some reason, while in it somehow put his head between the gun's breechblock and the roof of the tank, the barrel went down so the block went up and crushed his skull.

Any ex tankies have a memory of this or was it a wah?

It would have been the early to mid 80s in BAOR and we were doing Site Guard somewhere near Paderborn (can't recall the exact location, tried to wipe the week from my memory)

On one of the down periods we had a trip to the local RTR for a bit of a change from our 432s.

A tankie full screw showed us around and pointed out a Chieftain and said that the previous week, one of the tankies got in it for some reason, while in it somehow put his head between the gun's breechblock and the roof of the tank, the barrel went down so the block went up and crushed his skull.

Do you remember which RTR you went to? I’ll do a bit of snooping.

Londo

LE
1970s - very little overhead line equipment on British Railways then. Plenty of third rail, though.
IIRC Some years back a recent arrival to our shores was a bit impatient while waiting for a train and jumped down onto the track and put his ear to the rail for a listen .
Turned out it was the third rail and he didn't hear a train coming but he may have heard his head being welded to the rail .

BopBopBop

War Hero

Post #484 of this thread mentions this.
It was 3RTR

After my time.

RIP mate.

edit..
To remove duff info.

Last edited:
Do you remember which RTR you went to? I’ll do a bit of snooping.
That would have been "The Green Flash" 3 RTR

That would have been "The Green Flash" 3 RTR

I believe 3RTRs web page is closing shortly, one of the old and bold is getting all the photos on to Facebook.

TaffJ

War Hero
Post #484 of this thread mentions this.
It was 3RTR.

There's another post on other 3RTR threads by one of the crewman tasked to remove his remains.

After my time.

RIP mate.
Thanks BBB

I won't like your post for obvious reasons.

RIP Tankie

Early/mid 70s on Soltau; travelling across country, my gunner put his arm and elbow on the gun shield underneath the emergency gunners telescope, we went over a large bump, the gun was on full stab, up and down and broke his arm in two places. I was standing up above him, couldn't understand what all the yelling was about so gave him a kick!

He recovered but learned very quickly where you should not put your arm.

I’ve asked and his Surname was Price . It seems he was in the Turret trying to correct Gun Creep on a reclusive gun pack.
He leaned over the Breach to adjust something and the Barrel dropped trapping him. He passed away in the local German Hospital.
Hes buried at the Rheindalen Cemetery. RIP Trooper.

Lest We Forget.

Dryclad91

War Hero
I have recounted this before on another thread, on FTX ex in BAOR we spent the weekend in Coppenbrugge having been well accommodated in the broadest sense of the word departing early on the Mon morning. As we left the town my Tp Sgt (who just happens to be a member of this site) had a gun kit malfunction, resulting in an uncontrolled traverse of the main armament which entered the upstairs window of the house they were passing, catching the curtains and rail in passing. He came to a stop shortly after, gun rear sporting said curtains hanging neatly from his barrel. Just to compound the embarrassment the rest of the Regt proceeded to drive past the unfortunate individual before he could clear the offending chintz monstrosity .
[/QUOTE]

06FA56,
Mrs Dryclad has been clearing the attic of junk and old photo albums and tucked away in one of them was the incriminating piccie of the end result of my "Gun Kit" problem...…...........:oops:

Coppenbrugge.jpg

I have recounted this before on another thread, on FTX ex in BAOR we spent the weekend in Coppenbrugge having been well accommodated in the broadest sense of the word departing early on the Mon morning. As we left the town my Tp Sgt (who just happens to be a member of this site) had a gun kit malfunction, resulting in an uncontrolled traverse of the main armament which entered the upstairs window of the house they were passing, catching the curtains and rail in passing. He came to a stop shortly after, gun rear sporting said curtains hanging neatly from his barrel. Just to compound the embarrassment the rest of the Regt proceeded to drive past the unfortunate individual before he could clear the offending chintz monstrosity .
06FA56,
Mrs Dryclad has been clearing the attic of junk and old photo albums and tucked away in one of them was the incriminating piccie of the end result of my "Gun Kit" problem...…...........:oops:

View attachment 473638
[/QUOTE]

Dryclad, that is just outstanding, I had searched the internet, back copies of Sixth Sense and asked far and wide and could not find a copy of the picture.

Hope all are well and you are keeping safe.

Dryclad91

War Hero
06FA56,

View attachment 473638
Dryclad, that is just outstanding, I had searched the internet, back copies of Sixth Sense and asked far and wide and could not find a copy of the picture.

[/QUOTE]

I still hope that the "Chintz Monstrosity" does not rear it`s ugly head...…...….........:blush:

Hope you and yours are all well.

I still hope that the "Chintz Monstrosity" does not rear it`s ugly head...…...….........:blush:

Hope you and yours are all well.

[/QUOTE]

If I had a copy of the Chintz I would not publish it anywhere I would feel honour bound to pass it into your safekeeping as an attempt to bribe you into silence as you know far too much about me for safety.

Mrs 06 and family all well.

Latest Threads