Chieftain accidents

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Apologies, dont know where I got that bum info from!
Rumours of Wolfgang's death have been rife for years and years. You're far from the first to have been told.

Matildas and A13 Cruisers, as well.
They belonged to the Malta Tanks (Royal Tank Regiment), an independent RTR unit.
The IWM archive has pics all from first half of 1942, so they were part of the Island’s defence force throughout the siege.
Didn’t know about the A13s, we went to Malta in 2007 and when I went to the museum at Valletta Harbour, that’s where I discovered the RTR connection. Saw the Vickers Light Tanks and Matilda’s mentioned, but no reference to the A13s.

Didn’t know about the A13s, we went to Malta in 2007 and when I went to the museum at Valletta Harbour, that’s where I discovered the RTR connection. Saw the Vickers Light Tanks and Matilda’s mentioned, but no reference to the A13s.
From Wiki:
Malta Tanks was commanded by Major S D G Longworth.[8]X Squadron had set sail* with 13 A13 Cruiser tanks but five were lost when the ship carrying them struck a mine and sank. Other tanks (Valentines) also arrived in 1942.

*from Alexandria.

Rumours of Wolfgang's death have been rife for years and years. You're far from the first to have been told.
Although his health isn't great, he's been in and out of hospital for years now.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Although his health isn't great, he's been in and out of hospital for years now.
did he have to resort to eating his own stock since the draw down then?

he must have had a lockup the size of a B52 hangar

elovabloke

ADC
Glad to see he boosted morals. How do you think he did with morale?
Don't know about morale but by parking along the pylon line he distracted people long enough to save their morals and they stayed away from a certain red roofed house.

1970's our regiment was moved by rail, on flats, to Southern Germany for an exercise.

First light at a small station or rail yard the orders were for drivers only to get onto the tanks and straight into their drivers seats for unloading.

Another crew member climbed onto the turret and made contact with the overhead catenary and was killed instantly.

I was in my maggot in the waiting room and heard it all.
1970s - very little overhead line equipment on British Railways then. Plenty of third rail, though.

elovabloke

ADC
The alleged incident was 'somewhere in Germany' though . . . ;)
Not alleged, guys nickname was BigBird, I was in the same Sqn which was B Sqn 3 RTR and the somewhere was Kassel Hauptbanhoff. Never forget the night or the following week as the Sqn was motored into a wood for a week while the SIB and others continued to hassle us for statements.

Latest Threads