Chieftain accidents

Fire4effect

Old-Salt
As far as I can remember the Berlin Camouflage was developed in 1982ish the tank in the picture is a Mk3 or so, given the NBC pack and the almost upright CDs hatch, also not sure the tanks were moved to and from Berlin.
Muzzle referencing system fitted so I’m thinking Mk6 or later. But then I was PBI so what do I know. Boss paint job either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently, about the same time as I arrived in Omagh, February 1976, the regiment took delivery of a Fox or two, smuggled in in containers, so we could start training our Chieftain-trained majority to start learning Rarden ahead of Arms Plotting to Tidworth a few months later and reroling as recce.

As a nig Catterick Commando, I'd arrived trained as a Scorpion gunner.
Going back a few threads, when I pitched up at Catterick in 81, your mate Dave Pawley was our corridor full screw.

Quite interesting seeing him deal with a RH 2nd Lt when were being beasted first thing and he ambled into the ablutions for a full monty...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Going back a few threads, when I pitched up at Catterick in 81, your mate Dave Pawley was our corridor full screw.

Quite interesting seeing him deal with a RH 2nd Lt when were being beasted first thing and he ambled into the ablutions for a full monty...
Sadly Dave Pawley, another very good friend, died last year. He drove Zero Alpha while John Mac commanded Zero Bravo and I sat in the back running the command nets.

Dave sent off his provisional BFG driving licence to Mönchenstrapback for renewal. It came back (they were filled in by hand at CPO BAOR) marked Lt Cpl. He sent it back to be corrected as LCpl. It came back corrected, but now read Full licence. Promptly used it to support getting his UK licence changed to Full. Drove the senior RHQ ACV on a provisional licence until then.

Ah Wolfgang, Soltau's finest!
He knew the place like the back of his hand & more importantly, he always knew where you were going to be.
I'm sure his Merc van had a single CVR(T) track running down the middle.
Didn't he retire to Cyprus?
Since sadly passed away:(
Apparently quite alive.

You can join his fan club if you like

I was just a buckshee Captain but before ex lionheart I had a major bust up with the Ops Officer (who you will also remember I am sure). He was 100% in the wrong and everyone knew it, but things were left hanging.

Imagine my surprise then when Reggie rocked up at my CP, in brogues, cords and a combat jacked, bummed a cup of tea, plonked himself down in a folding chair and proceeded to apologise for the behavior of his man.

I still consider him to be one of the last of a breed now, sadly, gone.
Still in South Africa I believe. His ex however, really knows how to hit the headlines:

Still in South Africa I believe. His ex however, really knows how to hit the headlines:

Camberwell Magistrates had heard Purbrick wrecked Mr Prior's apartment, tore clothes from cupboards and stuck ripped fabric to the wall in the shape of a cross which appear a part of her vandalisation, before using several pints of blood and a garden sprayer to douse the room in red. Purbrick, who was part of the Equestrian team for the 1980 Moscow Olympics, then left a cheque for £1,000 to Mr Prior labelled 'payment for the bull'.
It's those little details isn't it?

Obviously not a Chieftain, but on the subject of ‘specific to location’ camo paint schemes:
Light Tank Mk VI, wearing the distinctive Malta camouflage, on a firing range, 24 March 1942. Copyright: IWM
F3105764-AB9A-42AD-9AAE-4306DC2BA039.jpeg
19C7F9D2-A317-4024-B6D9-B52307B37F9C.jpeg

Strangely I never used Wolfgang's services much. Our wagon (Chieftain) was usually always well stocked with booze, fresh rations and left-over compo.

TamH70

MIA
Obviously not a Chieftain, but on the subject of ‘specific to location’ camo paint schemes:
Light Tank Mk VI, wearing the distinctive Malta camouflage, on a firing range, 24 March 1942. Copyright: IWMView attachment 461699View attachment 461700
Someone tell Leutnant Gruber that some evil Brit nicked his Little Tank, exported it abroad and then someone else did a dodgy respray on it as well.

Apparently there was also a couple of Matilda 2s on the island as well. From what I’ve read and been informed, they ended up on the ranges as hard targets.
Matildas and A13 Cruisers, as well.
They belonged to the Malta Tanks (Royal Tank Regiment), an independent RTR unit.
The IWM archive has pics all from first half of 1942, so they were part of the Island’s defence force throughout the siege.