Chieftain accidents

Truxx

LE
It really was nothing to do with manouvering... the tank was a but under powered had the revs pretty high , it went up the ramps and sort of bounced down onto the locator this went under the track , basically like a chock between the rear two wheels , also , take a look at the side armour, lovely big slabs of reactive shit that had to be craned off as they were so heavy, commander tried , If I remember correctly , to reverse him straight back , but the lh track was jammed and effectively it skid turned a bit
If that No 1 is on this site , I am pretty sure he was interviewed as part of the board of enquiry, as I was

any way , when the next time came to load the Valliant , there were three trailers side by side, just in case, and it went up the centre one , no problems
Astonishing. They must, at some point have thought a "and oh - it will need to be transported by transporter (and rail)" and done the appropriate testing in house?

But then again, obviously not.

Oh and the track guides should not have been on the trailer deck.

I did not know this until very recently, although I did know Reggie Purbrick (commanding 17 of the 20 worst dancers at the time)

I had had a run in with his Ops Officer earlier in the year.

I was there when he took his Regiment through the alleged fields of asparagus. Superb officer, by all accounts. Following a reduction in LOA/exhange rate, he drafted a template for his lads to use to complain to their MPs.

On Ex you'd hear him on the 'net , in the voice of Garth on steroids "all c/s, this is Sunray. move to Grid AB123456..... BATCO?.... I don't give a **** about BATCO!" "Get those small c/s out of my way..." then at night they'd be a huge banging on the back door - a midget with a bottle of something nice "Engrs? Good blokes - have a drink".

1989 - the week the Wall came down - I was on a Combat Int course, and met his nephew, nice bloke as well.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
I was there when he took his Regiment through the alleged fields of asparagus. Superb officer, by all accounts. Following a reduction in LOA/exhange rate, he drafted a template for his lads to use to complain to their MPs.

On Ex you'd hear him on the 'net , in the voice of Garth on steroids "all c/s, this is Sunray. move to Grid AB123456..... BATCO?.... I don't give a **** about BATCO!" "Get those small c/s out of my way..." then at night they'd be a huge banging on the back door - a midget with a bottle of something nice "Engrs? Good blokes - have a drink".

1989 - the week the Wall came down - I was on a Combat Int course, and met his nephew, nice bloke as well.
Of course, Soviet intercept was no good,: but their DF was brilliant.!

FEASG

LE
We got our first pictures of T64 acquired by a very brave Brixmis crew. We learned these new tanks and how they differed from T54, T55 and T62.

But all these pictures were collected in a silver birch wood in East Germany. We became as good at identifying silver birch as T64.

Picture comes up, guy at front shouts T64, guy at back shouts silver birch. To this day, I see silver birch, I inwardly shout T64.
Off thread but , we found that a problem with Suspect recognition, slides in Belfast, in the last years of OP BANNER. as the lads did not get out on the ground, except for covering the marches etc. They would only recognise the players, if they were wearing the same cloths, as they were in the photos we had shown them.

TamH70

MIA
Of course, Soviet intercept was no good,: but their DF was brilliant.!
Feckers didn't lower their standards much post the collapse of the Berlin Wall. Spent a weekend playing tig with one of their bastard AGI "trawlers" on exercise on Greenock with my old Regiment.

Wasn't an entire TA platoon run over in their harbour by a troop of tanks on Lionheart , or is than an urban myth ?
Not read whole thread yet but just in case it hasn't been answered
Some CVR(T)'s went through a harbour area on Lionheart and yes, one bod in his maggot was run over - the low ground pressure of the CVR(T) and the fact that it had pissed down for almost the entire exercise (or at least, it seemed to), meant that the unfortunate individual was pressed into the ground and got away with it.
I was on the Umpire Command side of things and there was a daily update of incidents and casualties - the sad fatality of the guy who was rolled along by a piece of heavy armour between the side of the vehicle and the building being another which I can remember.

Some CVR(T)'s went through a harbour area on Lionheart and yes, one bod in his maggot was run over - the low ground pressure of the CVR(T) and the fact that it had pissed down for almost the entire exercise (or at least, it seemed to), meant that the unfortunate individual was pressed into the ground and got away with it.
I was on the Umpire Command side of things and there was a daily update of incidents and casualties - the sad fatality of the guy who was rolled along by a piece of heavy armour between the side of the vehicle and the building being another which I can remember.
Thanks - good to see a post not to do with the Corona virus.

Truxx

LE

I was just a buckshee Captain but before ex lionheart I had a major bust up with the Ops Officer (who you will also remember I am sure). He was 100% in the wrong and everyone knew it, but things were left hanging.

Imagine my surprise then when Reggie rocked up at my CP, in brogues, cords and a combat jacked, bummed a cup of tea, plonked himself down in a folding chair and proceeded to apologise for the behavior of his man.

I still consider him to be one of the last of a breed now, sadly, gone.

Truxx

LE
CVRT ground pressure was less than that of a man in DMS. It was also designed to be narrow enough to fit between the trees in rubber plantations in the far east.

CVRT ground pressure was less than that of a man in DMS. It was also designed to be narrow enough to fit between the trees in rubber plantations in the far east.
IIRC somebody also discovered that a CVR(T), with CES, would just fit into an ISO 20 (2 in an ISO 40), in theory permitting discreet and protected movement by sea.
Somebody else then pointed out that wherever they were destined for had to have the infrastructure capable of off-loading containers.

IIRC somebody also discovered that a CVR(T), with CES, would just fit into an ISO 20 (2 in an ISO 40), in theory permitting discreet and protected movement by sea.
Somebody else then pointed out that wherever they were destined for had to have the infrastructure capable of off-loading containers.
Eventually whenever we moved large amount of vehicles, to the plain or Lulworth, it was always done on Containers to save track miles but with Saladins we used to take them up to Slough Station and pop them on the train!

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Apparently, about the same time as I arrived in Omagh, February 1976, the regiment took delivery of a Fox or two, smuggled in in containers, so we could start training our Chieftain-trained majority to start learning Rarden ahead of Arms Plotting to Tidworth a few months later and reroling as recce.

As a nig Catterick Commando, I'd arrived trained as a Scorpion gunner.

Apparently, about the same time as I arrived in Omagh, February 1976, the regiment took delivery of a Fox or two, smuggled in in containers, so we could start training our Chieftain-trained majority to start learning Rarden ahead of Arms Plotting to Tidworth a few months later and reroling as recce.

As a nig Catterick Commando, I'd arrived trained as a Scorpion gunner.
Fox. Hhmmmmmm, lovely.
B3 76mm gunner & B3 signaller trained at JLR.
Arrived at the regiment & put in the Fox squadron.
The Army eh?

Worked on them for several years & really liked them. More so than CVR(T).

Berlin paint job but the roadsign seems to be for Deipholz, which is Hohne way. Must have been during an armoured exchange session
I'll wager that's the track behind Bovvy Tank museum

As far as I can remember the Berlin Camouflage was developed in 1982ish the tank in the picture is a Mk3 or so, given the NBC pack and the almost upright CDs hatch, also not sure the tanks were moved to and from Berlin.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
As far as I can remember the Berlin Camouflage was developed in 1982ish the tank in the picture is a Mk3 or so, given the NBC pack and the almost upright CDs hatch, also not sure the tanks were moved to and from Berlin.
The day the Wall came down, John MacGourley RIP (my best man, and SQMS in the 15/19H squadron covering a 14/20H squadron at Hohne) organised a party to liberate a 6' section of Wall. The Wall section was smuggled back to Detmold on a flatcar under a 15/19H Chieftain. Evidently tanks were moved to and from Berlin.

That section of Wall went to Hohne after amalgamation, thence to Swanton Morley and Catterick, where it currently resides. I saw it at the last two locations.

Latest Threads