Chieftain accidents

And I failed to mention, when the Boss (AQMS) arrived a short time later , he just looked at me and shook his head

wildbill99

Swinger
I've refrained from commenting as I knew you he'd be along at some point to give the true record of events.

No, he didn't. Jimmy He remained with the vehicle to help with the recovery operation. Jimmy He was a damn fine soldier despite being a cavalryw@nkerman.
Ah sorry - just one of those urban myths then! I didn't personally didn't see the incident (busy elsewhere at the time), but the version about going down the pub was related to me by several people,including IIRC the Director of the establishment. Just goes to prove you shouldn't always believe what your boss tells you!

And I failed to mention, when the Boss (AQMS) arrived a short time later , he just looked at me and shook his head
To be fair he did a lot of that!
Ah sorry - just one of those urban myths then! I didn't personally didn't see the incident (busy elsewhere at the time), but the version about going down the pub was related to me by several people,including IIRC the Director of the establishment. Just goes to prove you shouldn't always believe what your boss tells you!
They all went down the pub later, but not immediately ;)

load_fin

War Hero
nobody disobeyed an order ,I he was told by his boss to get the tank loaded as soon as the transporter arrived, The Vickers chaps had padlocked the turret down , and locked the drivers hatch from inside but at that time nobody had shown them (Vickers)if you jump on the loaders hatch the handles spring back and you can get into the vehicle Neither of us them had driven the tank , but the other chap there drove it up on the transporter commanded by the TROG corporal standing on the top of the ANTAR the tank went up , and as it dropped down it landed on the L shaped locator plate on the transporter bed, landing on the track,with it between the rear two wheels and when Jimmy the driver tried to move it forward, under instruction from the commander standing on the transporter , it swung to one side , and it showed up something that nobody had thought about, the rear of the tank was very heavy and a little slewing over the side of the transporter bed caused it to drop down onto its side then slowly, very very slowly it then went over centre and landed upside down on the turret ,between the transporter and the wall of the building the driver scurried out the drivers hatch like a rabbit being chased by a ferret, I, the other chap then went inside through the hatch to turn the engine off , only to find Vickers had changed the usual switches and controls for some fancy box with bells and knobs instead of just flip switches like a real tank has as the engine had run upside down for a number of minutes it did it no good at al
He was not charged with disobeying a direct order, he attended the relevant boards of enquiry and no action , disciplinary or other wise was taken, although the Pissed off chaps from Vickers wanted me him charged with taking a vehicle without the owners permission, but were told to do one , if they hadn't pissed off before it was to be loaded it would never have happened...and I he can't have been in that much shit, as he was promoted to Sergeant a few months later,
so forget the urban myths , this tale is as close to the truth as anyone will get

( and yes folks I was that soldier
Is this the incident?

Latest Threads