Chieftain accidents

And I failed to mention, when the Boss (AQMS) arrived a short time later , he just looked at me and shook his head
To be fair he did a lot of that!
Ah sorry - just one of those urban myths then! I didn't personally didn't see the incident (busy elsewhere at the time), but the version about going down the pub was related to me by several people,including IIRC the Director of the establishment. Just goes to prove you shouldn't always believe what your boss tells you!
They all went down the pub later, but not immediately ;)

load_fin

War Hero
nobody disobeyed an order ,I he was told by his boss to get the tank loaded as soon as the transporter arrived, The Vickers chaps had padlocked the turret down , and locked the drivers hatch from inside but at that time nobody had shown them (Vickers)if you jump on the loaders hatch the handles spring back and you can get into the vehicle Neither of us them had driven the tank , but the other chap there drove it up on the transporter commanded by the TROG corporal standing on the top of the ANTAR the tank went up , and as it dropped down it landed on the L shaped locator plate on the transporter bed, landing on the track,with it between the rear two wheels and when Jimmy the driver tried to move it forward, under instruction from the commander standing on the transporter , it swung to one side , and it showed up something that nobody had thought about, the rear of the tank was very heavy and a little slewing over the side of the transporter bed caused it to drop down onto its side then slowly, very very slowly it then went over centre and landed upside down on the turret ,between the transporter and the wall of the building the driver scurried out the drivers hatch like a rabbit being chased by a ferret, I, the other chap then went inside through the hatch to turn the engine off , only to find Vickers had changed the usual switches and controls for some fancy box with bells and knobs instead of just flip switches like a real tank has as the engine had run upside down for a number of minutes it did it no good at al
He was not charged with disobeying a direct order, he attended the relevant boards of enquiry and no action , disciplinary or other wise was taken, although the Pissed off chaps from Vickers wanted me him charged with taking a vehicle without the owners permission, but were told to do one , if they hadn't pissed off before it was to be loaded it would never have happened...and I he can't have been in that much shit, as he was promoted to Sergeant a few months later,
so forget the urban myths , this tale is as close to the truth as anyone will get

( and yes folks I was that soldier
Is this the incident?

I to was on umpire duty, Driving OC 4, 22 sigs, and heard about the many mishaps and total cock ups, never witnessed any.
Having done SPEARPOINT and LIONHEART I too was a Demi-god umpire on CRUSADER and had the dubious privilege of umpiring, IIRC - an element of US AB who had put in a linear ambush. It was textbook until I realised a majority of the kill group were all wearing the mirror shades that were de rigour at the time. It was like a searchlight parade down 5th Avenue

Last edited:
This thread has provoked memories from the Dark Ages. On SPEARPOINT I was a Lance Jack in the forward section of the forward company of the forward... you get the picture. Our Pl Sgt trudged over to the gun pit I was digging and announced that Comd 1 BR Corps, with whom I share a surname, was coming to visit. Now, it’s hot, we’re thirsty, we’re several weeks into scheme and Mr Bigmouth says “oh, uncle Frank (there’s my PERSEC out he window), not a problem”. As my Pl Sgt walks away, you can almost hear the gears grinding. Posh voice. Gentleman ranker... it must be so.
So, come the day and across the sward comes a cavalcade of the great and the good. In turn they are introduced to the CO, the OC, the Pl Comd and Sgt and as the great man looks into the gun pit he is told “and of course, you know Cpl Rickshaw”. The great man, never caught out, makes the DS response of “ah yes” and that children is how the Queen was persuaded to make me her trusty and welbeloved....

Last edited:
Several years anon I was running the Psyops Cell in BLMF. The then Maj Gen Freddie Viggers greeted me with “Hello mate how are you. “ which prompted one of my cohort to ask “Rickshaw, are you a Reservist or a Regular?” And I realised that my release from “Big Army” was complete .
The question of either the Field Marshall’s baton in my rucksack had been answered. I was the absentee from the mainstream.

Last edited:

45x45

LE
1988 I was a young 432 driver on exercise phantom budge as an umpire vehicle Trundling along in convoy following the little light and the zebra crossing patch, night was Black as coal. Convoy stops, I fall asleep (as you do) commander taps me on the shoulder, I pull back on the tillers foot down without thinking, half asleep, loud bang, the front of the wagon goes up in the air, the American officer who’s commanding me jumps up bangs me in the helmet and shouts “stop”. I suddenly see a hatch open right in front of me, turns out a Chief had sunk in the mud, the two land rovers I was following had obviously gone around. Not this little black duck, straight into the back of one of the demo tank boys wagons. Destroyed their back bins, nearly ended up on the back decks, the tank commander went mental on me, USA officer thought it was hilarious, told him to chill out and on we went. Next day was endex. Quickly washed down my truck and went home for the weekend. Don’t suppose that would happen these days. The Friday afternoon race to the wash down point was a joy to behold.

1988 I was a young 432 driver on exercise phantom budge as an umpire vehicle Trundling along in convoy following the little light and the zebra crossing patch, night was Black as coal. Convoy stops, I fall asleep (as you do) commander taps me on the shoulder, I pull back on the tillers foot down without thinking, half asleep, loud bang, the front of the wagon goes up in the air, the American officer who’s commanding me jumps up bangs me in the helmet and shouts “stop”. I suddenly see a hatch open right in front of me, turns out a Chief had sunk in the mud, the two land rovers I was following had obviously gone around. Not this little black duck, straight into the back of one of the demo tank boys wagons. Destroyed their back bins, nearly ended up on the back decks, the tank commander went mental on me, USA officer thought it was hilarious, rood him to chill out and on we went. Next day was endex. Quickly washed down my truck and went home for the weekend. Don’t suppose that would happen these days. The Friday afternoon race to the wash down point was a joy to behold.
Phantom Bungle, that takes me back. It really was The Wacky Races at that wash down. Our lot actually started marshalling it.

45x45

LE
Phantom Bungle, that takes me back. It really was The Wacky Races at that wash down. Our lot actually started marshalling it.
As umpire vehicles we had a command wagon, with a sigs bod in the back who became commander. Completely untrustworthy if I'm honest. I remember once flat out in my MK2 coming up from Imber Warminster side. I was flat out down the hill to the wash down point, Tank sqn had got there before us. Full of mud. Pulled on the tillers, wagon just kept going in the mud slid all the way across the WDP and did a half turn into the bank. Just caught sight of my Pl Sgt in the spin. Proper in the shitte 6,8 and 10 for us both all weekend. Oh how we laughed.

Leopard drove over our Nissan in tin city Nienberg - Back half was flat and the insurance still didnt total it.. They rebuilt it. Back half never did match up 100%.

Truxx

LE
nobody disobeyed an order ,I he was told by his boss to get the tank loaded as soon as the transporter arrived, The Vickers chaps had padlocked the turret down , and locked the drivers hatch from inside but at that time nobody had shown them (Vickers)if you jump on the loaders hatch the handles spring back and you can get into the vehicle Neither of us them had driven the tank , but the other chap there drove it up on the transporter commanded by the TROG corporal standing on the top of the ANTAR the tank went up , and as it dropped down it landed on the L shaped locator plate on the transporter bed, landing on the track,with it between the rear two wheels and when Jimmy the driver tried to move it forward, under instruction from the commander standing on the transporter , it swung to one side , and it showed up something that nobody had thought about, the rear of the tank was very heavy and a little slewing over the side of the transporter bed caused it to drop down onto its side then slowly, very very slowly it then went over centre and landed upside down on the turret ,between the transporter and the wall of the building the driver scurried out the drivers hatch like a rabbit being chased by a ferret, I, the other chap then went inside through the hatch to turn the engine off , only to find Vickers had changed the usual switches and controls for some fancy box with bells and knobs instead of just flip switches like a real tank has as the engine had run upside down for a number of minutes it did it no good at al
He was not charged with disobeying a direct order, he attended the relevant boards of enquiry and no action , disciplinary or other wise was taken, although the Pissed off chaps from Vickers wanted me him charged with taking a vehicle without the owners permission, but were told to do one , if they hadn't pissed off before it was to be loaded it would never have happened...and I he can't have been in that much shit, as he was promoted to Sergeant a few months later,
so forget the urban myths , this tale is as close to the truth as anyone will get

( and yes folks I was that soldier
Had the tank transporter been one of mine the No1 would have been charged with disobedience to standing orders. It was utterly verboten to manouevre a tank coming onto or on the trailer. For the very reasons that led to this

Sadly UK crews were a not slack sometimes amd needed a bit of recalibration on arrival in BAOR.

If it did not come on quite right the correct action should have been reverse ot off, have amother go at lining it up then bring it on again.

Had the tank transporter been one of mine the No1 would have been charged with disobedience to standing orders. It was utterly verboten to manouevre a tank coming onto or on the trailer. For the very reasons that led to this

Sadly UK crews were a not slack sometimes amd needed a bit of recalibration on arrival in BAOR.

If it did not come on quite right the correct action should have been reverse ot off, have amother go at lining it up then bring it on again.
It really was nothing to do with manouvering... the tank was a but under powered had the revs pretty high , it went up the ramps and sort of bounced down onto the locator this went under the track , basically like a chock between the rear two wheels , also , take a look at the side armour, lovely big slabs of reactive shit that had to be craned off as they were so heavy, commander tried , If I remember correctly , to reverse him straight back , but the lh track was jammed and effectively it skid turned a bit
If that No 1 is on this site , I am pretty sure he was interviewed as part of the board of enquiry, as I was

any way , when the next time came to load the Valliant , there were three trailers side by side, just in case, and it went up the centre one , no problems

Latest Threads