Chieftain accidents

This way of clearing the enemy off the tank is mentioned in the book " To the last Round" (Korean war) by Andrew Salmon, covered quite a bit of tank action involving Centurion tanks of the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars
Apparently they were desperate to ensure that none of the Cent, fell into the hands of the Chinese.

I have to disagree strongly with that as would I think Paddy Mayne, Moshe Dayan, Bill Slim and Sir Arthur Roden Cutler, VC, and many others were they in a position so to do.

I'd suggest a perusal of the book linked above for starters.
Paddy Mayne was in 11 Scottish Commando which suffered 25% casualties in the battle of the Litani river in June 1941.

That looks about right,though it looked different with the tracks up in the air and all the topside hardware knocked off.
Now that my memory has been jolted, I seem to recall seeing some pics of the incident.
More to the point, and following on to my comments ref lack/limited driver view, I recall Vickers did cut a couple more holes in front of the driver to fit two more periscopes.
They were also scrabbling around pretty furiously to replace the external turret hardware (sight head) which cost a small fortune.

Last edited:
And in 1985 West Germany had more panzers than Hitler had on June 22 1941 at the start of Operation Babarossa,
IIRC the initial Bundeswehr production order for Leo 2 was 1,800, to be completed by 1988. Any major mods/Mks had to wait until subsequent batches.

wildbill99

Swinger
Now that my memory has been jolted, I seem to recall seeing some pics of the incident.
More to the point, and following on to my comments ref lack/limited driver view, I recall Vickers did cut a couple more holes in front of the driver to fit two more periscopes.
They were also scrabbling around pretty furiously to replace the external turret hardware (sight head) which cost a small fortune.
Was working at MVEE at the time. Apparently once the driver had extricated himself, he took one look at all the very expensive ruined optics and took himself off down the pub to get thoroughly pi**ed, rather than wait for the inevitable bo**ocking.

syrup

LE
Nearest thing to that I know of was in 1982 when I was with the RA Sales Team in Larkhill and Vickers brought over a main battle tank that was competing against Challenger 1 in a big equipment demo in training for Floater '83. Someone disobeyed orders and attempted to drive it off the low loader and managed to roll it so it landed tracks up. Sadly all photos were confiscated and the only thing hurt was the driver's pride.

Didn't that happen with the new OSHKOSH tank transporter?
It was being shown off to the top brass and Press IIRC turned a corner and the Chally 2 rolled off the trailer.

Was working at MVEE at the time. Apparently once the driver had extricated himself, he took one look at all the very expensive ruined optics and took himself off down the pub to get thoroughly pi**ed, rather than wait for the inevitable bo**ocking.
Yep, those SFIM sights don’t come cheap.

Didn't that happen with the new OSHKOSH tank transporter?
It was being shown off to the top brass and Press IIRC turned a corner and the Chally 2 rolled off the trailer.
The only tank I ever bump-started was a T-62.
Somebody had bled all the air out of the starter mechanism. The vehicle was on a transporter, so the solution to get it going was for the transporter to set off with the rear ramps down.
In the cab I engaged reverse and depressed the clutch. At the right moment, it was handbrake off, roll off the back, let out the clutch and, voila, bump started.

I was on the RAC Sales Team on Floater '83.
nobody disobeyed an order ,I he was told by his boss to get the tank loaded as soon as the transporter arrived, The Vickers chaps had padlocked the turret down , and locked the drivers hatch from inside but at that time nobody had shown them (Vickers)if you jump on the loaders hatch the handles spring back and you can get into the vehicle Neither of us them had driven the tank , but the other chap there drove it up on the transporter commanded by the TROG corporal standing on the top of the ANTAR the tank went up , and as it dropped down it landed on the L shaped locator plate on the transporter bed, landing on the track,with it between the rear two wheels and when Jimmy the driver tried to move it forward, under instruction from the commander standing on the transporter , it swung to one side , and it showed up something that nobody had thought about, the rear of the tank was very heavy and a little slewing over the side of the transporter bed caused it to drop down onto its side then slowly, very very slowly it then went over centre and landed upside down on the turret ,between the transporter and the wall of the building the driver scurried out the drivers hatch like a rabbit being chased by a ferret, I, the other chap then went inside through the hatch to turn the engine off , only to find Vickers had changed the usual switches and controls for some fancy box with bells and knobs instead of just flip switches like a real tank has as the engine had run upside down for a number of minutes it did it no good at al
He was not charged with disobeying a direct order, he attended the relevant boards of enquiry and no action , disciplinary or other wise was taken, although the Pissed off chaps from Vickers wanted me him charged with taking a vehicle without the owners permission, but were told to do one , if they hadn't pissed off before it was to be loaded it would never have happened...and I he can't have been in that much shit, as he was promoted to Sergeant a few months later,
so forget the urban myths , this tale is as close to the truth as anyone will get

( and yes folks I was that soldier

PIS
PISH... read my previous post

nobody disobeyed an order ,I he was told by his boss to get the tank loaded as soon as the transporter arrived, The Vickers chaps had padlocked the turret down , and locked the drivers hatch from inside but at that time nobody had shown them (Vickers)if you jump on the loaders hatch the handles spring back and you can get into the vehicle Neither of us them had driven the tank , but the other chap there drove it up on the transporter commanded by the TROG corporal standing on the top of the ANTAR the tank went up , and as it dropped down it landed on the L shaped locator plate on the transporter bed, landing on the track,with it between the rear two wheels and when Jimmy the driver tried to move it forward, under instruction from the commander standing on the transporter , it swung to one side , and it showed up something that nobody had thought about, the rear of the tank was very heavy and a little slewing over the side of the transporter bed caused it to drop down onto its side then slowly, very very slowly it then went over centre and landed upside down on the turret ,between the transporter and the wall of the building the driver scurried out the drivers hatch like a rabbit being chased by a ferret, I, the other chap then went inside through the hatch to turn the engine off , only to find Vickers had changed the usual switches and controls for some fancy box with bells and knobs instead of just flip switches like a real tank has as the engine had run upside down for a number of minutes it did it no good at al
He was not charged with disobeying a direct order, he attended the relevant boards of enquiry and no action , disciplinary or other wise was taken, although the Pissed off chaps from Vickers wanted me him charged with taking a vehicle without the owners permission, but were told to do one , if they hadn't pissed off before it was to be loaded it would never have happened...and I he can't have been in that much shit, as he was promoted to Sergeant a few months later,
so forget the urban myths , this tale is as close to the truth as anyone will get

I've refrained from commenting as I knew you he'd be along at some point to give the true record of events.

No, he didn't. Jimmy He remained with the vehicle to help with the recovery operation. Jimmy He was a damn fine soldier despite being a cavalryw@nkerman.

Said bo**ocking would have been something else.
Most of the Vickers crews, junior and senior management were ex-forces and really knew their way round the Dictionary of Military Terminology, bo**ockings for the use of.
The Vickers MD at the time was a former sun-dodger and was also known to have a breadth of vocabulary unheard in the presence of the distaff side and those of a timid nature.
ETA: Just seen @flieslikeabeagle ’s post above.

@CrashTestDummy gave you an Excellent.
Makes sense really.
E2A, just read his post above.
Nice one.

Said bo**ocking would have been something else.
Most of the Vickers crews, junior and senior management were ex-forces and really knew their way round the Dictionary of Military Terminology, bo**ockings for the use of.
The Vickers MD at the time was a former sun-dodger and was also known to have a breadth of vocabulary unheard in the presence of the distaff side and those of a timid nature.
I seem to recall that at the time the Vickers bods who turned up simply shrugged their shoulders and said it was bound to happen some time. One of them started to get a bit animated, but once the entire story was pointed out to him he soon quietened down.

Bollox,
Jim went back to the block as I did , as far as seeing the very expensive optics, that million pound Phillips thermal sight, inside the armoured box on top of the cupola, you couldn't see it the turret was flat on the grass , when we flipped it over , there was a very neat hole where it had been pressed into the ground though, that , the gun crutch , and a tooth on the elevation gearbox was the only major damage, ( the engine did eventuallypack up, but so would you if you'd run upside down with no oil

And I failed to mention, when the Boss (AQMS) arrived a short time later , he just looked at me and shook his head

wildbill99

Swinger
I've refrained from commenting as I knew you he'd be along at some point to give the true record of events.

No, he didn't. Jimmy He remained with the vehicle to help with the recovery operation. Jimmy He was a damn fine soldier despite being a cavalryw@nkerman.
Ah sorry - just one of those urban myths then! I didn't personally didn't see the incident (busy elsewhere at the time), but the version about going down the pub was related to me by several people,including IIRC the Director of the establishment. Just goes to prove you shouldn't always believe what your boss tells you!

Latest Threads