Chieftain accidents

No idea if that is true or not but from memory the APDS safety template was 22km long so entirely possible.

In the mid 80's my Tp was tasked with doing a night shoot on Sennelager ranges limited to HESH and SH/P. Sadly the RGO got the template wrong and a SH/P or two ended up in a local resident's garden.
I posted this 6 years ago

Fat_Cav said:
In BATUS whilst doing sone Steam Gunnery, I managed to shoot a DST off the HESH scale. If I was clever enough I'd work out how far it flew.

Luckily it wasn't Warcop, otherwise they'd be incoming near Newcastle (not a bad thing mind :0 )

No idea if that is true or not but from memory the APDS safety template was 22km long so entirely possible.

In the mid 80's my Tp was tasked with doing a night shoot on Sennelager ranges limited to HESH and SH/P. Sadly the RGO got the template wrong and a SH/P or two ended up in a local resident's garden.
22km rings a bell.
However, the template for a full-up APDS was bloody huge.
June ‘78, Castlemartin, and for the final shoot every Chieftain in the squadron was bombed up with a rare treat: 1 x APDS black job and 1 x FC.
As I said, the template was mahoosive and range control had to be wary of shipping in the Irish Sea - notably tankers heading for Milford Haven - over the horizon.
While I think the original intention had been troop shoots, delays caused by potential template infringements, eventually caused the grown-ups to say ‘sod it. Squadron shoot. All c/s to the firing point now.’
The entire squadron lined up and we were told we literally had just minutes to get rid of that nature.
The fire order went something like ‘ Sabot. 2500. Sea. On. ....... Fire.’
Christ, what a bang. 14 of them.
In my vehicle, the recoil indicator flew off and hit the back of the fighting compartment. It may have whanged into the green talking boxes: either way, both the C42 and B47 whined and decided to play no more.
All in all, a very satisfying end to ranges before we switched to Ferrets for an UNFICYP tour.

22km rings a bell.
However, the template for a full-up APDS was bloody huge.
June ‘78, Castlemartin, and for the final shoot every Chieftain in the squadron was bombed up with a rare treat: 1 x APDS black job and 1 x FC.
As I said, the template was mahoosive and range control had to be wary of shipping in the Irish Sea - notably tankers heading for Milford Haven - over the horizon.
While I think the original intention had been troop shoots, delays caused by potential template infringements, eventually caused the grown-ups to say ‘sod it. Squadron shoot. All c/s to the firing point now.’
The entire squadron lined up and we were told we literally had just minutes to get rid of that nature.
The fire order went something like ‘ Sabot. 2500. Sea. On. ....... Fire.’
Christ, what a bang. 14 of them.
In my vehicle, the recoil indicator flew off and hit the back of the fighting compartment. It may have whanged into the green talking boxes: either way, both the C42 and B47 whined and decided to play no more.
All in all, a very satisfying end to ranges before we switched to Ferrets for an UNFICYP tour.
I’ve often wondered why we never simply mounted ‘that rifle’ on Chieftain....

Perhaps it couldn’t take the recoil?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I’ve often wondered why we never simply mounted ‘that rifle’ on Chieftain....

Perhaps it couldn’t take the recoil?
However powerful THAT rifle was, THAT tank comes back "clank, clank, I'm a tank."

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
Rumour, myth or cover up? I'm not sure but a story told to me by a german involved an ex in the 60's that went pear shaped. The Bundeswher were doing an ex near the IGB but had not coordinated with the brits, they moved up to positions thinking this is real and a mortar barrage fell amongst the germans. A few died and some wounded before mistakes were realised.
When told this I refused to believe it because I couldn't see how it could be kept quite, so I dismissed it as tosh, however a couple of weeks ago I read an excerpt from a book about national service and regular service BOAR and in it a guy from the RA claims they fired onto german troops after being called out for WW3.
I still find it hard to believe though

In one of the mid-1970s exercises a RCS sergeant was reputed to have sent a seriously large contact report without starting with 'For Exercise'. Apparently (and I have no way of proving this) the biggest uproar since Ma caught her tits in the mangle.

Edited for typing incompetence.

Chieftain APFSDS in '82. Trials at Lulworth at about the same time that CR1 was reaching the Troop Trials stage. I think the actual trial wasn't anything to do with the round itself, but trying something out regarding MPI, the final engagement was six rounds in, and around, the bullseye (not easy to see from this photo) from about 2900m. The round hole at the top of the bullseye was actually three Fin rounds that went through the same point (naturally, I was the gunner ;) ).

View attachment 444979
I heard someone say in Bovy , that if you were in the gunners seat CTD , the safest place on the range was sitting on the target

I heard someone say in Bovy , that if you were in the gunners seat CTD , the safest place on the range was sitting on the target
That'd be when I was sitting around waiting ages for the bloody Reems to come and fix my wagon.

Rumour, myth or cover up? I'm not sure but a story told to me by a german involved an ex in the 60's that went pear shaped. The Bundeswher were doing an ex near the IGB but had not coordinated with the brits, they moved up to positions thinking this is real and a mortar barrage fell amongst the germans. A few died and some wounded before mistakes were realised.
When told this I refused to believe it because I couldn't see how it could be kept quite, so I dismissed it as tosh, however a couple of weeks ago I read an excerpt from a book about national service and regular service BOAR and in it a guy from the RA claims they fired onto german troops after being called out for WW3.
I still find it hard to believe though
Don’t be ridiculous. If that story were to be true it would have required the gunners to actually hit something...

Latest Threads