Chieftain accidents

Some of the Old and Bold Tankies may be able to confirm this (or prove it's bollocks) and maybe even date it. When the Battlesbury demos started the duty Chieftain used APDS on a hard target on the far side of the bowl. one year (I'm guessing early 1970s) the round just nicked the top of the target and sailed off into the distance. Reginald Molehusband and his wife were puttering along a road beyond the range when the round next appeared and ricocheted off the road in front of them. Seems a long way for a ricochet but I suppose there's quite a bit of energy in an APDS core that doesn't hit anything head-on. Anyway, APDS was replaced with HESH.
APDS was replaced with APFSDS, n’est pas?

Some of the Old and Bold Tankies may be able to confirm this (or prove it's bollocks) and maybe even date it. When the Battlesbury demos started the duty Chieftain used APDS on a hard target on the far side of the bowl. one year (I'm guessing early 1970s) the round just nicked the top of the target and sailed off into the distance. Reginald Molehusband and his wife were puttering along a road beyond the range when the round next appeared and ricocheted off the road in front of them. Seems a long way for a ricochet but I suppose there's quite a bit of energy in an APDS core that doesn't hit anything head-on. Anyway, APDS was replaced with HESH.
No idea if that is true or not but from memory the APDS safety template was 22km long so entirely possible.

In the mid 80's my Tp was tasked with doing a night shoot on Sennelager ranges limited to HESH and SH/P. Sadly the RGO got the template wrong and a SH/P or two ended up in a local resident's garden.

Last time I fired hesh or sh/practice was mid 90's. I can't remember any difference in templates.
I'm sure a gunnery god will be on shortly to enlighten us all.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I was a gunner on a 3 RTR Chieftain that ran over a parked Vauxhall Viva type B at the back gate of the Lulworth ranges. I think it was April but definately 1977. Crushed the driver's side flat and he lived! He was saved by the seat collapsing flat when our left track hit the boot and made it stand on its tail end. We were all up top on the way to the washdown prior to a sales demo shoot, so saw the whole thing, which is unusual for someone normally "down in the hole". The dashboard came down and amputated his leg below the knee as I recall. It was a bit bizarre because his wife opened her door without any problem - no distortion. All caused by a drain plate being left on the engine bay and the resulting water build up being fanned all over the steering disks, resulting in limited turning ability.
Didn't see much after the impact as I was sent down to the next Y junction to stop traffic. The first car was the Commandant. Briefed him, he thanked me and drove to the incident. Second car was a couple of cavalry sergeants, who before I could brief them, ripped me a new ar***ole for not wearing my beret, which was at the scene. W*****s!
Made an inside page of the Daily Mirror, with a photo of the Viva flattened on one side and the back end of the Chieftin beyond, and front page of the Dorset Echo.
Very nasty experience.
And people on here bang on about how much better it would be if all officers were LEs........:wink:

I was a gunner on a 3 RTR Chieftain that ran over a parked Vauxhall Viva type B at the back gate of the Lulworth ranges. I think it was April but definately 1977. Crushed the driver's side flat and he lived! He was saved by the seat collapsing flat when our left track hit the boot and made it stand on its tail end. We were all up top on the way to the washdown prior to a sales demo shoot, so saw the whole thing, which is unusual for someone normally "down in the hole". The dashboard came down and amputated his leg below the knee as I recall. It was a bit bizarre because his wife opened her door without any problem - no distortion. All caused by a drain plate being left on the engine bay and the resulting water build up being fanned all over the steering disks, resulting in limited turning ability.
Didn't see much after the impact as I was sent down to the next Y junction to stop traffic. The first car was the Commandant. Briefed him, he thanked me and drove to the incident. Second car was a couple of cavalry sergeants, who before I could brief them, ripped me a new ar***ole for not wearing my beret, which was at the scene. W*****s!
Made an inside page of the Daily Mirror, with a photo of the Viva flattened on one side and the back end of the Chieftin beyond, and front page of the Dorset Echo.
Very nasty experience.
‘77. See my posts 753, 757 & 810 above.
ETA: For some of the aftermath.

Last edited:

jcm649

War Hero
These 'Look at Life' films are brilliant - this one is about the DUKW in the early 1960s so you get to see 18 Coy RASC and HMAV Andalsnes doing some aquatic manouvering:

errr, and some monks...
Happy days, my first posting in 1968 was to 18 Amph Sqn Workshop.

jcm649

War Hero
It is not that long ago that the last of the DUKW left military service. They ran a pair at ATTURM Instowe until quite recently. The very last one is now owned by a farmer from Peterborough.
Think that would be news to my mate Rex, who runs a couple of them, he rebuilt one of the 2 from Instow, which he then sold for a lot. In the last 30 years or so he has rebuilt and sold about 30 of the world wide.

12345dave

Clanker
Think that would be news to my mate Rex, who runs a couple of them, he rebuilt one of the 2 from Instow, which he then sold for a lot. In the last 30 years or so he has rebuilt and sold about 30 of the world wide.
is that Rex Ward?
A bloke (and workshop) who I would love to meet and spend a bit of time with.

jcm649

War Hero
is that Rex Ward?
A bloke (and workshop) who I would love to meet and spend a bit of time with.
The same, a workshop to drivel over, and a collection of vehicles and odds and sods that made me very jealous, I've known Rex since we were at 18 Sqn together late 60's, we (group of old and bold from the workshop) meet up every year or so.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
No idea if that is true or not but from memory the APDS safety template was 22km long so entirely possible.

In the mid 80's my Tp was tasked with doing a night shoot on Sennelager ranges limited to HESH and SH/P. Sadly the RGO got the template wrong and a SH/P or two ended up in a local resident's garden.
I thought 15 mile. Similar ballpark.

Well bugger me - I did, across the Weser, at night, having slept across my handlebars in the holding pen for a few minutes. It was ******* frightening knowing that if I skidded off I’d never be seen again.

I was bearing a very important piece of paper marked ‘this note represents 10000 rounds of 155mm’.
The sort of thing Spike Milligan might have said in his memoirs :)

smallbore

Old-Salt
I was waiting for for an older Arser to tell this story (one who was closer to the action) but here goes with the version I was told in the early 1980's about a time when the regiment was on Cheiftain in Germany in the '70s.

(the change from 3 tanks in a troop to 4 in the '70's may be significant or may never have happened and my old fuddled brain may be at fault for suggesting a local fast kraut driver was only expecting 3 tanks, not four)

Anyway, what happened was; The Mercedes zoomed down the road and overtook the troop of Chieftains one by one but slammed into the the rear of the lead vehicle, the Troop Leaders tank. It took a while for anyone to realise what had happened because the Troop Leader thought his driver changed gear (hence the slight nudge in the movement of a 60 ton vehicle).

Eventually everyone comes to a halt. RMP arrive (after ambulance and Polizei etc one assumes) and the process of statements begins after extracting the squished car from under the rear of the tank and a smeared driver.

Troop Leader explains to RMP as they take his statement that he knows nothing about the Mercedes slamming into the rear of his panzer. He was looking forward and thought the driver changed gear.

The driver (named to me as Peanuts Brown) said to the RMP , "The Troop Leader said over the intercom 'Hey, Peanuts, turn your lights off and we'll have this Kraut bastard."

It took a while to resolve.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Both Lionheart and Spearpoint were exercises on the four-year Crusader cycle (there was also a Crusader 76 at the start of the Task Force concept. Task Forces reverted to Brigades after Spearpoint/Crusader 80). Lionheart was 84.

During Crusader 76 I was with UNFICYP; 80, 3 Armd Div as an umpire; 84 I was rear party because the grown-ups wanted German Linguists and Colloquialists to play as a fifth column to create a general fúck-up factor. But nobody told units that the plan was scrapped, and I stayed in camp.
Sorry for self quoting. A thread appeared on The Facebook BAOR Photos forum. It includes the following download:

Foreword (third page) describes how Phase 2 of Lionheart was designated Spearpoint.

Edit. If that link doesn't work, it's at the top of here:

Not until about the advent of CR1 AFAIK.
Chieftain APFSDS in '82. Trials at Lulworth at about the same time that CR1 was reaching the Troop Trials stage. I think the actual trial wasn't anything to do with the round itself, but trying something out regarding MPI, the final engagement was six rounds in, and around, the bullseye (not easy to see from this photo) from about 2900m. The round hole at the top of the bullseye was actually three Fin rounds that went through the same point (naturally, I was the gunner ;) ).

APFSDS.jpg

Chieftain APFSDS in '82. Trials at Lulworth at about the same time that CR1 was reaching the Troop Trials stage. I think the actual trial wasn't anything to do with the round itself, but trying something out regarding MPI, the final engagement was six rounds in, and around, the bullseye (not easy to see from this photo) from about 2900m. The round hole at the top of the bullseye was actually three Fin rounds that went through the same point (naturally, I was the gunner ;) ).

View attachment 444979
Arrers!

Latest Threads