Chieftain accidents

Plenty Chiefys bombing around in this and they all seem to be going - Lionheart.

Never seen this one before and it’s worth a watch - lots of armour, that rifle in abundance and we used to have an army then. It’s enough to make you weep. Anyone on it? Seems like a lifetime ago........
I know the video states Lionheart and 1980 but I only recall being involved in Crusader 80 and Lionheart was later if I recall correctly.

Apologies, I read further and noticed @Wightsparker 's post.
I've still got the OS ex maps and T shirts somewhere in the loft....and a scarred liver from the yellow handbags.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I know the video states Lionheart and 1980 but I only recall being involved in Crusader 80 and Lionheart was later if I recall correctly.
Both Lionheart and Spearpoint were exercises on the four-year Crusader cycle (there was also a Crusader 76 at the start of the Task Force concept. Task Forces reverted to Brigades after Spearpoint/Crusader 80). Lionheart was 84.

During Crusader 76 I was with UNFICYP; 80, 3 Armd Div as an umpire; 84 I was rear party because the grown-ups wanted German Linguists and Colloquialists to play as a fifth column to create a general fúck-up factor. But nobody told units that the plan was scrapped, and I stayed in camp.

Last edited:
Both Lionheart and Spearpoint were exercises on the four-year Crusader cycle (there was also a Crusader 76 at the start of the Task Force concept. Task Forces reverted to Brigades after Spearpoint/Crusader 80). Lionheart was 84.

During Crusader 76 I was with UNFICYP; 80, 3 Armd Div as an umpire; 84 I was rear party because the grown-ups wanted German Linguists and Colloquialists to play as a fifth column to create an general ****-up factor. But nobody told units that the plan was scrapped, and I stayed in camp.
On Crusader 80, I was with TF A for a while then ended up in TF C.
"All the way with TFA"
It was bollocks, cold and I was constantly hungry. Thank feck for bratty stands, bakeri and the CanAm bike I was able to cut around on.

On Crusader 80, I was with TF A for a while then ended up in TF C.
"All the way with TFA"
It was bollocks, cold and I was constantly hungry. Thank feck for bratty stands, bakeri and the CanAm bike I was able to cut around on.

Having the use of a FFR L/rover, and a very understanding OC ( I was his driver/ electrician) we were able to avail ourselves of mess tents in the field, cookhouses of any barracks we were in, and stop off in the villages en route to our out stations, for snacks, nibbles, the Stadtspakasse bank and refreshments, which also meant we could pick up fresh rations, and the mail for the lads in the static locations, on our frequent trips back to camp. We also done shower runs to the nearest barracks, word of warning, DO NOT use the showers in the Belgium barracks, they are gopping, big time.

Memory jog:-
We were flagged down by the crew of a small armoured car, and told a story of woe and disaster, the up shot was they had not eaten for two days and" Got any scran spare" I handed over two 24 Hr rat packs, and a bottle of fizzy pop.

Having the use of a FFR L/rover, and a very understanding OC ( I was his driver/ electrician) we were able to avail ourselves of mess tents in the field, cookhouses of any barracks we were in, and stop off in the villages en route to our out stations, for snacks, nibbles, the Stadtspakasse bank and refreshments, which also meant we could pick up fresh rations, and the mail for the lads in the static locations, on our frequent trips back to camp. We also done shower runs to the nearest barracks, word of warning, DO NOT use the showers in the Belgium barracks, they are gopping, big time.

Memory jog:-
We were flagged down by the crew of a small armoured car, and told a story of woe and disaster, the up shot was they had not eaten for two days and" Got any scran spare" I handed over two 24 Hr rat packs, and a bottle of fizzy pop.
When I visualise that image, you do not feature as a racing snake.

When I visualise that image, you do not feature as a racing snake.

Built for comfort, not speed.
My OC was very laid back, nothing fazed him, looked after his squadron like a father, and was well respected by all the lads, and god help any outsider that interfered or ordered his lads about. Promoted from the ranks, says it all.

Donny

ADC
Built for comfort, not speed.
My OC was very laid back, nothing fazed him, looked after his squadron like a father, and was well respected by all the lads, and god help any outsider that interfered or ordered his lads about. Promoted from the ranks, says it all.
Who was it?

And? Forty years on and probably 35 years after he left the Army it’s hardly a big deal.

Whatever, it was only out of interest.

I left in 1981, he got promoted to Lt Col, and got his own regiment in NI, then off to the south Atlantic, then back to the UK and into MOD procurement, I met up with him again at his daughters wedding, and again at Woolwich barracks. He settled in Wiltshire. I lost touch a few years ago. My wife is still in contact with his wife, and exchange letters, and phone calls.

Last edited:

NSP

LE
Others wIll know better but is the thing emerging from the light dusting of snow not a BMP?
Don't think so - turret too far forward, too much back deck and tracks look too meaty.

There's a couple of BMPs later in the vid, bashing over a barricade is a city somewhere.

For smashed up Chiefy (and other vehicles) have a look here:

Can’t remember who the other infantry were, could’ve sworn they were Rangers. We heard it was a brew up while refuelling and the petrol vapour had drifted down the coolie to the naked flame.
Your pictures look like they were taken after recovery to Crowfoot, mine (when I can find them) are in situ where they brewed up.
Let's see em then.

Let's see em then.
House move etc....

If I can find ‘em you’ll see ‘em. They’ll only show a different background to your pics, nothing else!

fire-lighter

Old-Salt
I was a gunner on a 3 RTR Chieftain that ran over a parked Vauxhall Viva type B at the back gate of the Lulworth ranges. I think it was April but definately 1977. Crushed the driver's side flat and he lived! He was saved by the seat collapsing flat when our left track hit the boot and made it stand on its tail end. We were all up top on the way to the washdown prior to a sales demo shoot, so saw the whole thing, which is unusual for someone normally "down in the hole". The dashboard came down and amputated his leg below the knee as I recall. It was a bit bizarre because his wife opened her door without any problem - no distortion. All caused by a drain plate being left on the engine bay and the resulting water build up being fanned all over the steering disks, resulting in limited turning ability.
Didn't see much after the impact as I was sent down to the next Y junction to stop traffic. The first car was the Commandant. Briefed him, he thanked me and drove to the incident. Second car was a couple of cavalry sergeants, who before I could brief them, ripped me a new ar***ole for not wearing my beret, which was at the scene. W*****s!
Made an inside page of the Daily Mirror, with a photo of the Viva flattened on one side and the back end of the Chieftin beyond, and front page of the Dorset Echo.
Very nasty experience.

Some of the Old and Bold Tankies may be able to confirm this (or prove it's bollocks) and maybe even date it. When the Battlesbury demos started the duty Chieftain used APDS on a hard target on the far side of the bowl. one year (I'm guessing early 1970s) the round just nicked the top of the target and sailed off into the distance. Reginald Molehusband and his wife were puttering along a road beyond the range when the round next appeared and ricocheted off the road in front of them. Seems a long way for a ricochet but I suppose there's quite a bit of energy in an APDS core that doesn't hit anything head-on. Anyway, APDS was replaced with HESH.

Latest Threads