Chieftain accidents

Not BAOR, or a Chieftain for that matter, but the results of a spectacular refuelling accident in BATUS 82.
burned out FV432.jpg

BURNED OUT REFUELLER.jpg

Last edited:

Truxx

LE
If you want some proper armoured bellendery then this popped up on my fizzogbook…..https://www.facebook.com/slampohpaudei/videos/255557372066255/UzpfSTEyMTk3MjM1ODk6MTAxNTcwNjUwMjUwNTEzNDI/

Last edited:
If you crossed an M2 Bridge on Keystone 87, it was mine...:)

ETA but hopefully not on a motorbike. The lads had a nasty habit of lifting the ramps (the ends of which were under water) about 6 inches whenever they saw a DR approach...
Well bugger me - I did, across the Weser, at night, having slept across my handlebars in the holding pen for a few minutes. It was ******* frightening knowing that if I skidded off I’d never be seen again.

I was bearing a very important piece of paper marked ‘this note represents 10000 rounds of 155mm’.

That’s the one I referenced earlier in the thread. 3 RTR BG, MedMan 7, Nov 82. I think was a R Irish 432. I flew out in a Gazelle with a mate to have a look at it in situ on the prairie.
Correct about year and Tango callsigns, wrong about the Foxhounds, heard conflicting accounts of the cause, from ground spike not earthed to a member of Mortars having an untimely brew, to cam nets touching on the old mk1 exhaust as the net was moved off the fuel caps. By all accounts it was quite a display, all vehicles being bombed up with 66 and 84 & boxs and boxs of 7.62, Three two bravo driving out to safety over all of the platoon weapons laid out.

Well bugger me - I did, across the Weser, at night, having slept across my handlebars in the holding pen for a few minutes. It was ******* frightening knowing that if I skidded off I’d never be seen again.

I was bearing a very important piece of paper marked ‘this note represents 10000 rounds of 155mm’.
Ahh...as an ATO friend used to call it...PILS

Paper in Lieu of Simo

Correct about year and Tango callsigns, wrong about the Foxhounds, heard conflicting accounts of the cause, from ground spike not earthed to a member of Mortars having an untimely brew, to cam nets touching on the old mk1 exhaust as the net was moved off the fuel caps. By all accounts it was quite a display, all vehicles being bombed up with 66 and 84 & boxs and boxs of 7.62, Three two bravo driving out to safety over all of the platoon weapons laid out.
Can’t remember who the other infantry were, could’ve sworn they were Rangers. We heard it was a brew up while refuelling and the petrol vapour had drifted down the coolie to the naked flame.
Your pictures look like they were taken after recovery to Crowfoot, mine (when I can find them) are in situ where they brewed up.

NSP

LE
LARC-V, used them in East Timor as the Diggers still have/had them.
Didn't a couple of those feature in Angelina's first Tomb Raider movie, supposedly as Russian equipment?

Always thought they were Russian kit from that. Seems they are US in origin. Every day's a school day...

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Some cracking dits on this thread.

Keep em coming.

My only experience of tanks was when I was in the TA and a few of us spent the weekend doing odd jobs at the REME museum at Bordon.

It’s not really a museum, more just a big aircraft hangar filled with random and interesting vehicles.

On the Saturday night we went out and got trolleyed. The following morning I found the best hiding place for a hungover snooze was in the drivers seat of the Challenger 1 they had in there.

Didn’t realise you ******* lay pretty much vertical when you’re driving them.

My main thought after violently twatting my head for the 60th time, was **** doing this for a job.

NSP

LE
If you want some proper armoured bellendery then this popped up on my fizzogbook…..https://www.facebook.com/slampohpaudei/videos/255557372066255/UzpfSTEyMTk3MjM1ODk6MTAxNTcwNjUwMjUwNTEzNDI/
Blimey! From that one might be forgiven for concluding that T-72 drivers and T-72s in general are a wee bit shite!

By the by, what's the wagon that comes up out of the snow-filled hull-down position? From its length and turret I was expecting a BTR but when it comes out it's on tracks...

Truxx

LE
Blimey! From that one might be forgiven for concluding that T-72 drivers and T-72s in general are a wee bit shite!

By the by, what's the wagon that comes up out of the snow-filled hull-down position? From its length and turret I was expecting a BTR but when it comes out it's on tracks...
Well they certainly seem find of having a lie down

I wonder if alcohol was involved in any of those?

Good call from the tank transporter bloke leaping off the port side of the trailer while the T72 leapt off the starboard side.

Others wIll know better but is the thing emerging from the light dusting of snow not a BMP?

Latest Threads