Chieftain accidents

In the late 70s I did a city tour in a DUKW in Washington ( the company was called "DC Ducks") .Great way to do a bus tour, and included a trip on the Potomac.

A few years ago, I went on one of the Dublin "Viking" DUKWs. The tour guide - she was called Lorraine - was absolutely stunning.

The subsequent publicity about the safety of such tours in London and Liverpool gave me food for thought.

Niamac

GCM
I might be wrong but this is the best example of thread meandering I've read. Keep going.

18 Coy used to be at Fremington.
That’s right - I had a boss in NI who’d been a subbie with them. Curiously we had a fractional unit for a while - 18/26 Sqn RCT (whose club was the ‘44’ geddit?).

Truxx

LE
My Daughter lives in Boston, USA not Lincolnshire thankfully! There are a whole fleet of DUKWs operating in the city and on the James river. I'm told some are old original ones but they build some new ones to keep up fleet numbers. Been on several rides in them, it's always a great time, and a really good way to see Boston.
The original design was the best. Central tyre inflation and bilge pump rated at 350 gallons a minute, I think they were capable of operating in a sea state 5 and one crew even got a bottle of whiskey for mine-clearance post D day

A 1947 vid...https://youtu.be/7tLganatyDU

I don't think the Shadow Home Secretary would geddit.
26 Sqn’s club then became the ‘Half Crown’ an essential stop on any Friday Thiepval pub crawl!

Plenty Chiefys bombing around in this and they all seem to be going - Lionheart.

Never seen this one before and it’s worth a watch - lots of armour, that rifle in abundance and we used to have an army then. It’s enough to make you weep. Anyone on it? Seems like a lifetime ago........

Plenty Chiefys bombing around in this and they all seem to be going - Lionheart.

Never seen this one before and it’s worth a watch - lots of armour, that rifle in abundance and we used to have an army then. It’s enough to make you weep. Anyone on it? Seems like a lifetime ago........
Yep, I was on it. My last big FTX. IIRC we were the Corps reserve armour regiment and I was driving the OC's Rover, so got to go back through all the rear echelon stuff that I'd never seen before. It was awesome!

I was in the habit of keeping an empty Tennents lager can on the dash, but full of water, and drinking from it on the move. Then I was tasked to pick up the RSM to take him to a briefing, he was not amused. :D

Yep, I was on it. My last big FTX. IIRC we were the Corps reserve armour regiment and I was driving the OC's Rover, so got to go back through all the rear echelon stuff that I'd never seen before. It was awesome!

I was in the habit of keeping an empty Tennents lager can on the dash, but full of water, and drinking from it on the move. Then I was tasked to pick up the RSM to take him to a briefing, he was not amused. :D
its a good watch. I was running around like a ********* with that rifle.

My claim to fame was opening up on a patrol that went out in front of me when I was on stag manning a gun at stupid o’clock - no one told us the patrol was going out so I shot the fcukers!! Stand too and woke every man and his dog up. My mate who was the full screw on the patrol said the blue flames coming out of the gun looked super. I said they wouldn’t have been so good if the weren’t blanks......

happy days.

great thread by the way

Well worth watching, but I reckon that was Exercise Crusader in 1980, not Lionheart in 1984.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
My Daughter lives in Boston, USA not Lincolnshire thankfully! There are a whole fleet of DUKWs operating in the city and on the James river. I'm told some are old original ones but they build some new ones to keep up fleet numbers. Been on several rides in them, it's always a great time, and a really good way to see Boston.
The best way to see Boston in Lincolnshire is to use one of these.

Attachments

Well worth watching, but I reckon that was Exercise Crusader in 1980, not Lionheart in 1984.
I had to watch it with the sound off as I’m being forced to watch shite by the mrs, so have no idea as I’m going off the title.

great stuff though

Truxx

LE

....lots of armour...

On both lionheart and crusader we lifted over 120 MBTs at a time. I recall that we lifted over 400 tanks from one crossroads at the end of crusader. Armour and tank transporters as far as the eye could see. When anyone wibbles on about " capability" these days I wonder if they really know what they are on about.

taken on one of the last big ex in Germany, can't remember it's name, circa 1987.
RTR proper tankies.jpg

Soltau, back of the throat dust
back of the throat dust.jpg

Latest Threads