Chieftain accidents

I posted this 10 years ago

I managed to crush 20m of crash barrier on the Range Road washdown near Hohne whilst on my Chieftain D&M course. Two guys from my regiment later died at the same point when they overshot the crash barrier and rolled the wagon over into the pond.

My brother in the same regiment faired no better. On his D&M course he managed to drown one wagon, by going into the deep fording trench instead of the wading one. The water came over into the drivers hatch and flooded all the electrics and had to towed back. :roll:
He also had a ..cough.. mishap whilst pulling onto the tank park whilst on the same course.

NB. Note the Fahrschule (L) plate.

The image doesn't seem available now

November 1977
You old git. Nothing seems to have changed mind!

I don't remember 6 Sqn Wksps having Mk III Recy though?

Londo

LE
There was also a story about ‘Capri Corner’ at Bovingdon. The story goes that as the training CVR(T) rounded the last corner of the road circuit by the little NAAFI, the seat suspension* gave way and the CVR(T) slewed across the road, squashing the NAAFI manager’s Capri. And him.

Did my driving course there in ‘82, so would have been just before that, as the lads were still making jokes about the broken biscuits on sale.

82 is also when the lad stole the Chieftain Wedge and took it home to show mum. Now that one IS true because it made the papers...

* ie the bungee holding the driver’s seat up
Chieftain Wedge = Driver training tank ?

Truxx

LE
You old git. Nothing seems to have changed mind!

I don't remember 6 Sqn Wksps having Mk III Recy though?
The picture was taken very shortly after I arrived (well actually very shortly after I got back from the exercise that I was taken out to directly on arrival from Duss airport)

As for the Sgt Recce Mech I cannot remember his name but I have a phot of him somewhere....

The ASM was McKechnie.

Don't know if or how often it might have resulted in death, but there were often warnings given out on winter exercises in Germany to not sleep under the panzers, thinking it's a nice spot to keep warm. The rockhard Hohne permafrost had a tendency to soften after a while once a wagon had been parked up with it's warm engine block hovering above it and the panzers would lower several inches and trap the sleeping bods trapped in their maggots underneath...

Don't know if or how often it might have resulted in death, but there were often warnings given out on winter exercises in Germany to not sleep under the panzers, thinking it's a nice spot to keep warm. The rockhard Hohne permafrost had a tendency to soften after a while once a wagon had been parked up with it's warm engine block hovering above it and the panzers would lower several inches and trap the sleeping bods trapped in their maggots underneath...

Yes it has happened. See the previous posts about the tank sitting down on its crew over the past few pages.

Yes it has happened. See the previous posts about the tank sitting down on its crew over the past few pages.
We were warned about sleeping under vehicles around that time, so we didn’t. However, whilst kipping in a 9x9, zipped up in my maggot, I was woken by the outline of a Bedford tailgate advancing through the side of the tent. I believe some poo may have come out during the subsequent maggot race... equally disturbing was hearing panzers romping around on the Dorbaum training area at night. We were on foot and thought we had the place to ourselves, but were proved wrong when a column of CVRT, closed down and lights off appeared and roared past us. We stayed among trees after that...

We were warned about sleeping under vehicles around that time, so we didn’t. However, whilst kipping in a 9x9, zipped up in my maggot, I was woken by the outline of a Bedford tailgate advancing through the side of the tent. I believe some poo may have come out during the subsequent maggot race... equally disturbing was hearing panzers romping around on the Dorbaum training area at night. We were on foot and thought we had the place to ourselves, but were proved wrong when a column of CVRT, closed down and lights off appeared and roared past us. We stayed among trees after that...
Nothing more scary than being dismounted at night in an area where armour is cutting about.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TamH70

MIA
Nothing more scary than being dismounted at night in an area where armour is cutting about.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
You are not kidding. It's just as scary if the bastards are in the very next field and decide to go all brumm-brummy all of a sudden when you had no idea they were there, or at least that's what I found out. Cue crash out of my Det Commander's course (T.A.) from our comfy harbour area on Salisbury Plain at death o'clock in the morning.

Challenger 2s be noisy bastards.

I did not know this until very recently, although I did know Reggie Purbrick (commanding 17 of the 20 worst dancers at the time)

I had had a run in with his Ops Officer earlier in the year.

There exists a rather interesting, and well written pen picture of life with the Regiment, by his nephew.

I remember making a beer and tabs run back to Barker during Lionheart, to find a Danish armoured regiment had taken up residence while the Green Flash were out. A regiment of very well maintained Centurions, that seemed able to move as a group without leaving a breakdown every 500 metres.

Danish Guard Hussars

ww2-danish-guard-hussars-gold-badge_1_33e4140d39aa2b617a97285a636469fa.jpg

Last edited:

Spew

Crow
Another urban legend was one of the Queenies cousins/nephews was a tankie and he was in his Chiefy when is was being loaded and he was unceremoniously told to dismount and the reply was 'do you know who I am?' to which the reply was 'I dont give a fcuk who you are - I'm Corporal X and this is my Antar so fcuk off and get out'. Hand shakes and shits and giggles from the rupert who thought it was funny as fcuk - he did dismount.
True dit, Cpl Harry 'Big Harry' Thomas, Blues and Royals at Detmold.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My father recounted being told it in 1959 when he joined the Greys.

And it "occurred" every few years after that till he left in 1993!

Various regiments, various conditions.

Usually, sleeping under vehicle as it was raining, rain softened ground and vehicle sank onto them.

Also frozen ground defrosting, clay being squishy and sand just being soft.

Truxx

LE
I remember making a beer and tabs run back to Barker during Lionheart, to find a Danish armoured regiment had taken up residence while the Green Flash were out. A regiment of very well maintained Centurions, that seemed able to move as a group without leaving a breakdown every 500 metres.

Danish Guard Hussars

View attachment 434779
I nearly got squished by one of them. Same exercise we had dropped them off somewhere - usual thing, pissing down and middle of the night. We had just unloaded and the tank transporters were nose to tail at the side of the road. The danes were batting along heading off to wherever. I was walking between the accelerating Danes and the static transporters when a passing Cent did an enthusiastic stick change, veering right and smacking hard into the side of the trailer a few feet in front of me.

I thought that they were Danish LG but that's not to say there were not more of the buggers.

Latest Threads